Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:30:32 AM EST) A Day in the Life, WTF, AIX, code page, code set, pie (all tags)
Who Wants to be an Admin?

My cousin used to write the questions for Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He told me how one of the first seven or nine questions always has a stupid answer. It's primarily designed to make the audience laugh but sometimes someone picks it, maybe because he's nervous and flustered being on TV. If we did a technical version of that show, an early question might be:

Which of these is not an editor you can use in UNIX but is, in fact, a Windows file transfer program?

a) vi
b) emacs
c) pico
d) CuteFTP

x-posted to the blog.

The audience at home laughs themselves silly when the contestant's "final answer" is "D". Not me. I sit there ranting away that these fuckers got on the show but I couldn't in the US because I was related to someone working for it and I can't do the German version because I don't "look right enough" for TV.

Anyway, Gino's got a problem in his AIX environment. Gino's got a lot of problems really, because although Gino's job is "AIX administrator", Gino has No. Fucking. Idea. about AIX nor anything that works on it, a lack of comprehension that extends far beyond the scope of $OurBigApp.

Gino doesn't understand codepages and code sets. Gino doesn't understand that if the database is Russian but his locale is Italian that the Cyrillic letters will not be displayed.

The logs are corrupt! They look OK in Windows but they're corrupt in UNIX!

I had to write back to get him to actually send me these "corrupt" logs. I immediately saw the UTF-8 byte order marker at the top of the file. I tried to explain to Gino what was going on and that although the logs looked like jumble of accented vowels under UNIX that it was only a matter of his code set and his editor's ability to work with other code sets. This wasn't good enough. He wants to look at them in UNIX.

It's possible. He only has to change his environment variables. I'll hold his hand and walk him through it. First we need to make sure the editor is Unicode-compliant. He's probably using vi but I long ago learned not to make any assumptions. Out went the mail asking which editor he uses. Two days later came the reply:

CuteFTP.

Fuckwit.

< Moominbilbo? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Poll Response: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:35:05 AM EST
I voted for pico -- because it's delicious alone or on top of a quesadilla.

But... by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:35:52 AM EST

In the question you asked, D is the right answer...

DFJ?
Another problem by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:37:17 AM EST
I have little doubt that emacs can do both.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Emacs is a special case by DullTrev (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:39:54 AM EST

It's not an editor, it's a sentient entity.

DFJ?
And how do you feel about it's a sentient entity? by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 7) #6 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:41:29 AM EST
Please elaborate.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
No, no. EMACS is an operating system based on by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:03:58 AM EST
that underrated foundation of all modern OSes, Tower of Hanoi.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
I voted emacs by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 02:37:43 AM EST
I'm sure it's ported to Windows, and I'd bet it's got an Eff Tea Pea client.

But that ignores the first criterion by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:10:34 AM EST
You're looking for the answer that is (a) not a Unix text editor and (b) a Windows FTP client. Emacs does make condition (b) true, but it also makes condition (a) false. And if a conjunction has one false condition, the entire statement is false.

Cicero, The Republic
No it doesn't by komet (4.00 / 3) #8 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:13:59 AM EST
the first criterion is that it's a Unix text editor that you (i.e. I) can use, which emacs does not fit.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
you is general, not particular by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:28:20 AM EST
Unless REC wrote this diary with only you in mind, `you' is used in a general sense, not a particular sense.

Cicero, The Republic
What rot by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:48:38 AM EST

If he'd meant that, he'd have said "one".

DFJ?
Maybe if he spoke the Queen's English by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:03:45 AM EST
... but I'm led to believe that such is not the case.

Cicero, The Republic
nah by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 06:01:35 AM EST
use of 'one' in american english usually sounds pretentious.

Sorry by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 06:35:27 AM EST

Speaking English properly sounds pretentious to Americans?

If that is the case, I suggest your society and culture has massive problems that need to be tackled. Perhaps encouraging people to actually learn how to use their mother tongue (whatever that may be) correctly may help?

DFJ?
+1FP - Split Infinitive by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 07:14:15 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
at least by MM (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 07:29:52 AM EST
we can pronounce R's correctly.

'one' by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 08:15:14 AM EST
emacs can edit text in Unix by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:16:27 AM EST
but it is not a "Unix text editor". It is an operating system.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Huh? by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 06:46:53 AM EST
AIX still exists?

Back in the early days, the web-host company I briefly used gave instructions on how to create a website. It was something like "edit in notepad and install using CuteFTP".

Note "briefly".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

AIX... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Aug 15, 2006 at 08:24:52 AM EST

is good stuff...

$ uname -a
AIX AR2 2 5 00CDBF0D4C00
$ uptime
10:26AM up 492 days, 23:36, 312 users, load average: 0.20, 0.43, 0.40

Oh, and.... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 06:47:57 AM EST
You should tell him that the problem is that there's a bug in CuteFTP and that he should install Samba on his server so that he can use Notepad to edit.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman