Print Story Flight
Update on the previous post and a very special Attention Toronto Infidels.

Decision made! This is a touch last minute, but I don't think it's so last minute as to cause any major problems. It's also not a decision made sober, but fun decisions rarely are.

So. Step one would seem to be to alert work people to my impending departure. To this end I've scheduled a meeting for tomorrow afternoon. Step two is getting the minor fiasco that will be the university application process dealt with, and step three is to find a non-gutter place to live. (This assumes both that Toronto lacks attractive gutters and that husi is devoid of gutter design experts, capable of Turning Any Gutter Into A Homey Gutter!) The remaining steps are relatively minor, in so far as it is less than completely disastrous if I horribly fuck them up.

I'm not sure why I feel so magically capable of managing this now when I so rarely have before. I suspect the week of drugs, alcohol and sloth spent with MissTrish is related. In the days following it, I've somehow managed to get more work done than I would normally accomplish in a month. Perhaps the key to productivity was just to stop trying for a bit. For whatever reason, I feel briefly capable of achieving escape velocity from this hole, and intend to take advantage of it.

Now, for a very special Blossom Attention Toronto Infidels:

1. Is there anywhere I particularly don't want to live? I'm aiming for cheap, and have no objections to living in a hovel, assuming it's not a hovel that will frequently see me shot at. I suppose looking for somewhere on teh intarwebs is probably the easiest (and only realistic) option. Relatively close (chronographically speaking, not geographically so) to the bulk of U of T would be really advantageous.
  2. Speaking of teh intarwebs, what's the delay like on getting a connection there? You can end up waiting a month here, which would really suck for work related reasons.
  3. What's the biking season like for people who aren't insane? I wonder if it's worth attempting to move my velocipede with me...
  4. I will likely need a place to stay for a day or two while I get apartment shit sorted out. The Shawshack is kind of an obvious option, if it's OK with its inhabitants, but I have a couple of workable alternatives if not. (The presence of people I know combined with some possible influence in U of T admission procedures being Toronto's biggest advantages for me.)
Same slurping promise as last time. Thanks, intarweb infidels!
< Brain aches and stomach quakes | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Flight | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Answers by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:49:56 PM EST
  1. If you're aiming for cheap, you probably don't want to live in the Yonge/Eglington area. It's a nice area, but pricy. You probably wanna live around the annex, for cheapish but nice area. There aren't many places that'll get you shot at.
  2. It shouldn't take more than a week at most.
  3. I biked through last winter, but last winter also didn't really exist due to global warming. Previous winters I've been outside the city. Even in the coldest ones when I was here, you can bike at least April to September without being insane, with March to November being more realistic estimates for any given year.
  4. You can stay here for a couple days, though it's in Etobicoke.

Vive le Montréal libre.
if getting shot at is your goal by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:13:33 PM EST
I'd opt for Detroit, myself. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:22:49 PM EST

Vive le Montréal libre.
congratulations! by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:14:01 PM EST

Fucking wombats. n/t by Dest (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:25:07 PM EST
Text.
Dest
answers and general commentary. by 256 (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 04:42:35 PM EST
actually, general commentary first:

awesome, i am really excited for you. the 29th to the 31st of august are fully booked on my calendar with the process of attempting to maintain my dignity while saying goodbye to e. and on the 31st, misslake and i head out west for 10 days.

this means that i won't be able to properly welcome you to the fine city until sept 9th or so. but i promise to make it a hearty welcoming when that time comes.

what that also means is that you are entirely welcome to treat misslake's and my room at the shawshack as though it were your own for that 10 day span.

and of course, if you still haven't found a place by the time we return, you are welcome to the couch.

also, i will certainly keep my eyes and ears open for possible lodging opportunities in the coming weeks.

answers:

1. Toronto doesn't have any really bad neighbourhoods. Jane and Finch is about the worst, and it's a paradise compared to bad neighbourhoods in american cities. you will want to live kinda close to downtown. predictably, the closer you get, the more expensive it gets. when attempting to minimize rent while maximizing livability and proximity to downtown, your main choices are: cabbagetown, the danforth, parkdale and annex west (where we live). all of them are nice.
  2. generally a week in my experience. but there are a ton of internet cafe's where you can get online for as cheap as $1/hour in that interval.
  3. it gets moderately unpleasant to cycle from about november through february. still, many many people cycle year round. it just takes a certain mindset. having a bicycle in this city is key. whether you bring yours or sell it and buy another here is a matter of shipping and how generous of a buyer you can find.
  4. guess i answered that one in the preamble.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
West end by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 05:38:44 PM EST
Anywhere south of Dupont, and anywhere between the west end of Parkdale and Yonge st.

I've lived in the east end and its cool and great in its own ways, it's just you always wind up going out to the west end, so you may as well just live there.

well by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 05:41:32 PM EST
High Park is a damn nice neighbourhood too, and it's west of Parkdale. But again it's pretty nice to live close enough to walk to most places you're likely to go.

Good for you. (n/t) by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 09:40:54 PM EST

Flight | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback