Print Story Electric Parking
By Kellnerin (Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 04:34:26 PM EST) (all tags)
Found August; advertising sounded brilliant.

DROVE UP ON FRIDAY to visit D's dad at his place up in New Hampshire. We stopped by a liquor store to grab a couple Sobe lizards for the road. D opened his and the inside of the cap read, "JETTA AND A PONYTAIL."

"What does that mean?"

"It's two things that D likes about Kellnerin," he said.

"Of course." The people who write the stuff under the bottlecaps are really freaking me out now.

IN THE TOWN before the town where we were headed, there's a WWII museum: brick building, with a map of the lower 48 painted on the side flanked by "1939" and "1945." But more noticeable is the hole in the same wall, with a tank driving through it, over a pile of bricks and rubble. Above the tank, hanging by chains from the top of the hole, is a placard reading "Air Conditioned."

The first time D took me up there, he pointed it out. "Look, there's a tank coming out of that wall." And he pointed it out the second time, and the time after that. It became a sort of in-joke, and then a game, to be the first to say, "Hey, there's a tank coming out of that wall" as soon as it came into view. D got me this time.

IT WAS UNUSUALLY COLD for August; by the time we woke up on Saturday morning it was only 50 degrees (that's 10C). Still we decided we wanted to go into town and just walk around a bit; there was a craft fair this weekend and we were also told that, though it wasn't that good this year, there was a good shop where lots of local high-end craftsmen sell their goods, which is on the way into town, between the war museum and the town center, near the local grocery store.

We headed out in the afternoon, by which time it was pleasantly warm and sunny but not too hot. We did the rounds of the craft fair which was fun though nothing amazing (except there was a woman selling harps, dulcimers, and other instruments we could never afford, store, or play), then stopped by an ice cream stand for a couple of waffle cones. D's was Maine Black Bear (which is a raspberry/chocolate deal) and mine, Moose Tracks (vanilla ice cream with chocolate and peanut butter cups). D found a footpath that he swore would be a shortcut to the craft store.

A while later, we were still on the footpath. "Do you know where we're going?"

"Of course. There's the grocery store right there," D assured me, pointing at a green roof that certainly looked a lot like the one on the grocery store.

When we got there, though, it was not in fact the grocery store. "Look," I pointed across the street. "There's a tank coming out of that wall."

"See? Are we not exactly where I said we would be?"

"We are not exactly where you said we would be."

"Well, we're close."

"We went too far," I corrected, as we turned right and headed back toward the town center.

We walked past a house for sale, an large Victorian with a turret. "Would you want to buy this house, you know, if it was less than a million dollars?"

"Yeah, it's OK. Needs paint."

"Paint is cheap."

"And a new driveway," I added as we stopped to look back at it.

"We'd probably get tired of looking out the window and seeing that tank pointing at us, anyway."

"Yeah, we'd get up every morning trying to be the first one to say that there's a tank coming out of the wall."

I got to the bottom of my ice cream cone, and discovered that the cones were handmade. Instead of just being wrapped into a cone shape, they were folded over at the bottom so as to eliminate the hole through which, in inferior cones, melted ice cream inevitably drips. I thought this was the most brilliant ice cream cone innovation I'd ever seen.

Anyway, we found the shop. I ended up buying a wool cape, which felt like an odd purchase to make in August, but I like it.

ON THE WAY BACK HOME on Sunday, we passed an auto body shop. "There was a sign advertising 'Alingments,'" I commented.

"I saw that sign too," D said, "but I noticed something else. It said, 'Walk-ins welcome.' Like, what are they going to align, you?"

A while later, there was a discount furniture place that had its name painted on the side of the building. As we passed it, D said, "Huh, I thought at first it said 'FURNITURE ENCOUNTERS.' It sounded a lot more interesting then."

Then, closer to the Massachusetts border, there was a moving company with a large building surrounded by trucks, all emblazoned with the company name. "You know," commented D, "Roy the Mover has been in the same place for a long time."

< Attention 256 infidel! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Electric Parking | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Unusually cool August by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:14:12 AM EST
This has been a strange summer.  I'm sure someone who is less lazy than I could do a Google search and come up with historical temperature data, but I can't remember a cooler August in New England.  I wonder how accurate The Farmers Almanac is so far this year.

---------------
August by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 08:55:33 AM EST
It's been cool, once we got past the first couple days. Those were brutal. It is lovely in the middle of the day now, but feels completely unnatural for the time of year.

Do not misuse.
Early Fall by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 09:09:04 AM EST
Feels like early fall.  Somewhere around mid-September.

---------------
Signs, signs ... everywhere ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 05:44:23 AM EST

Alingments

Back in ye' ol' html-writing days (daze?) typing aling for align was my most frequent typo.

These days ... well, it's only in the top-10.

blame qwerty by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 08:59:41 AM EST
Or whatever variant you happen to be using. "Aling" is just so inviting for the typing hand. (Although now I find I can't make myself do it subconsciously. And I didn't even think I'd been writing that much CSS lately.) Anyway, I thing it's the same reason why "think" is so often typoed, too.

But as for the guy putting up the plastic letters on the sign, I don't know what his excuse is.

Do not misuse.

ice cream innovations by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Aug 15, 2006 at 12:56:07 PM EST
local ice cream place used to put a marshmallow in the bottom of each cone to plug the hole.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
a wool cape. by calla (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Aug 19, 2006 at 11:44:16 AM EST
What color?

Capes are terrific. I should get one too.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

plain black by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Aug 20, 2006 at 05:14:36 PM EST
I have a fancy one that's black with a burgundy velvet lining, but it's ankle length and I really don't get to wear it that often. This one'll actually work as a fall/early winter jacket.

I bet you'd rock a cape yourself.

Do not misuse.

I'll consider one. by calla (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Aug 20, 2006 at 06:53:21 PM EST
But if I get one, I'll embroider some sort of obscure emblem for both of our capes. Small enough not to get too much notice.

I've really got to consider this carefully, our secret cape society can't end up like the purple hat ladies.

p.s. I forgot to mention that the Sobe cap messages are eerie on this coast too.
Who's to blame? Are we becoming so predictable that corporations can play us as if they were cheap fortune tellers? Or is there some sort of psychic phenomenon going down?

cool by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 05:27:30 AM EST
I would get a kick out a secret cape emblem.

Do you get Sobe drinks because of the lizards? That's why D was drawn to them.

Do not misuse.

No emblem ideas yet. by calla (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 11:16:55 AM EST
Cows?

I've been drinking the Sobes for quite some time. I probably started when I couldn't find an AriZona green tea. The lizards are cute and would have drawn me to them over other drinks.

Electric Parking | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback