Print Story Attention 256 infidel!
By ana (Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 12:16:42 PM EST) WFC, WFC7, music (all tags)
OK, I have an entry for the WFC7. However...

[check inside]

It's a 2.2 MB mp3 file I generated with iTunes (downconverting from whatever garageband emits; aiff, I think).

256k.org has been down most of the day, but when it was up, it refused to take my file twice, guessing that perhaps it wasn't an mp3 (or ogg) or that it was bigger than 10 MB. Should have passed both those tests.

Accordingly, I've uploaded it here.

Now the more pleasant part. This is a piece of music written in 1589 by William Byrd, as imperfectly rendered by me (with a great deal of help from garageband).

It's a slice out of a longer piece, with words thus:

Ne irascaris Domine satis,
et ne ultra memineris,
iniquitatis nostrae,
Ecce, respice, populus tuus omnes nos.

Civitas sancti tui
facta est deserta.

Sion deserta,
Jerusalem desolata est.

This is from Isaiah 64:9 and 10, which the New English Bible translates thus:
Do not be angry beyond measure, O Lord,
and do not remember [our] iniquity forever;
look on us all, look on thy people.
Thy holy city is a wilderness,
Zion a wilderness, Jerusalem desolate.
So the way I figure it, having read the challenge, is that when The Big One comes, somebody's gonna be pissed off at somebody else's use of the city of Jerusalem, something unfortunate and regrettable is going to happen, and Jerusalem will be a wasteland, and all God's people (and everybody else) are going to be either dead or someplace else. These words were written during the Babylonian captivity, when the inhabitants were carried away to what's now Iraq; this was widely seen by the people themselves as just retribution for their sins.

The bit that I picked is the part in bold print.

Anyway, I hope this counts, despite being unable to upload it to the official place. You might want to listen with headphones; I tried to do some interesting effects with stereo stuff.

As always, it could have used another month of re-re-re-takes, but hey.

Also, comma, those interested in classical music scores and midi files, do check out this site: Icking Music Archive. Lotsa good stuff there (including the above piece).

< Appreciated? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention 256 infidel! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
i too... by clock (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 01:59:36 PM EST
...have an entry and issues with 256k.org.

mine is here

i'll keep checking, but do me a favor and let me know if 256 gets the site up and running again.  i'd like to enter and stuff.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

awesome. by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 03:21:58 PM EST
There are rumors that some people can get 256k.org, but i'm not one of them. I'm told the ip addy today is 64.235.96.86

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

I've had my troubles, too. by polaris (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 05:26:11 AM EST
Only for minutes at a time, though. Thankfully it was never when I was uploading things.

Try a different browser by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 02:40:50 PM EST
I had the same trouble a coupe MFC's ago and as I recall it was a browser problem.

Of course you'll need to wait until he gets the site back up before you can find out.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

WFC7? by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 03:04:21 PM EST
I musta missed several of them ... I'm still working on WFC3.

Do not misuse.
If the passengers will please take their seats... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 03:14:04 PM EST
We'll be underway with FFC xviii shortly.

What can I say, you got me.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Update by ni (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 03:41:10 PM EST
I've uploaded it on ana's behalf.

[explaining the sledge-hammer] We had to maintain discipline among the floorboards. -- MissTrish
Two updates by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 03:43:17 PM EST
[1] thanks to ni and cam, who seem to have functioning DNS servers today (unlike verizon in new engerland), it's now uploaded to 256k.org

[2] I meant to include a link to wikipedia's article on William Byrd, the composer. Used without permission, what with him being dead these 350 years and all.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

yeah.... by 256 (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 05:39:10 AM EST
i'm not sure what the trouble is, some people can get to it, some can't.

the webserver is working fine, so it must be in the DNS.

if it hasn't cleared itself up by tonight i will try and sort it out.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I'm pretty sure it's DNS... by polaris (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 08:02:26 AM EST
according to the error message I received a few times. However, I find it mighty strange 'cause it would happen after accessing it recently.

There is some DNS wonkery: http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=256k.org

According to this, only one of your DNS servers are responding, and due to mismatched glue, you're getting different A records depending on how the resolver looks up your domain.

If you've a low TTL on your A record, this could cause semifrequent problems for some people, when combined with the above.

Attention 256 infidel! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback