Print Story You know it's a good wedding
when you hands smell like fish afterwards.

Plus, my brief career as a second story man or why I hate working on houses.

And, two Peter Jackson movies with swords, blood and alien landscapes, a long Walmart streak, attention NoVa infidels and less.

Poll: Favorite off road transportation?

Much of my five day weekend was taken up with a wedding, a cousin was getting married, and since we were invited, we went.

I have a lot of cousins (at least 30 first cousins) but I'm not very close to any of them, mostly because the nearest ones live over 3 hours away. It's a shame, but it's due to my parents choosing to move away from the family stomping grounds. But, this cousin invited us to her wedding, and it was very nice to go to the old family stomping grounds in NW PA for a happy event, the last two times I went were to bury my grands. Mrs. Ha hasn't been there in several years, so long ago I think the diary is on k5. Years I tell you.

The hometown is technically a city (I think it's the smallest one in Pennsylvania) but very rural, so I got a tiny bit of offroad time in on the minivan, traveling up dirt and rutted roads to visit uncles, and driving on grassy lawns for the preceding evening party and the wedding/reception. The minivan (as befits its truck heritage) did very well on dry dirt and dry grass. Like the TP commercials say, no skid marks.

It seemed like a fun wedding, though my arthritis and parental duties kept me from fully enjoying it. I did take time to talk about my aches and pains with another uncle (only three years older than me) who also has AS, we're going through much of the same stuff, some days he's too weak to kick start his bike. I sat for much of it in the geezer section with my cousin with the broken foot, and comaplained about that rap stuff those young kids call music. I followed the girls around and emptied my pockets to buy fish food for the captive trout population, as the wedding took place at a sportsman club which has their very own trouthatchery. I don't know what the fish food was made of, probably ground up little fish, for my hands reekedof a fishy smell for the rest of the evening.

My parents kept the kids until Tuesday, so we had some alone time together (but never enough). When we gotback, the front door lock was stuck, for the third time in about a few weeks. So, for the third time in a fewweeks, I climbed up onto out second story back porch, slid my hand between the door and undid the chain tobreak in. Including the time to find a ladder, about 3 minutes all together.

The next day we went to LowemDepot, and I got ambitious and greedy, and bought a four pack of locks (two doorlocks, two deadbolts) with six keys, all keyed alike. I figured we'd never get locked out again, after I changed the front and back locks. Well, it's never that easy. The front deadbolt needs a larger hole, and the back locks are about 1/2 inch too far in for these locks to fit. I hate the non-standardization of houses.

I did replace the breaker with the correct one, and put my box back together, one small thing I accomplished.

Mrs. Ha and I watched a Peter Jackson movie, with swords, blood and alien landscapes, and she enjoyed it. It's not the one you're thinking off, but rather Heavenly Creatures. Mrs. Ha is a sucker for movies involving disturbed teenage girls. I thought it was okay, but it didn't fully engage me.

We went to Walmart for four days in a row, shameful, I know. I'm not sure, but I think it's the only grocery store in that small city in small city, and it was very near the hotel, so we went there Saturday and Sunday to get stuff. Then Monday to get pressies for five year old, then Tuesday for a last minute present. Thursday I started a new streak by hitting Target instead. Today I went back to Target to get some cheap $7.50 DVD's, the Warriors, and the Fellowship of the Ring, completing my LOTR set, and travel shaving cream. Next is up is downloading a DVD decoder (any recommendations?) for my laptop, because...

Attention NoVa infidels. There is a chance I may be in NoVa early next week. If I do go, I hope I'm back by Wednesday, missing nearly ten year old's bday two years in a row would totally suck. I may not know until this afternoon, or evening, or this weekend, such is my life.

< Greetings, salutations, goodbye | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
You know it's a good wedding | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've not been on 7 of the poll options by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:07:35 AM EST
But of the remainder, the most fun I've had is on the old style Land Cruiser. I used to own a '78. That was a fun vehicle to drive, manual choke and all.

Cicero, The Republic
I've not been on 11 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:10:21 AM EST
but I'm trying to be inclusive here.

Shoot, I should have added the GM duece and a half.

this diary haiku by fleece (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:13:05 AM EST
a taste like chicken
a smell like fresh-water trout
bridesmaids. and my hands.

Some of the bridesmaids are my cousins by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:19:38 AM EST
insert hillbilly incest joke.

lol art imitating life by fleece (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:27:19 AM EST
Mississippi deuce:
a nice cold beer, chased down with
my hot first cousin

Maybe not NoVA by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:28:37 AM EST
but if you make it further down south, I'd get you a beer.

I know I act braindamaged on the intarweb by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:41:20 AM EST
sometimes, but I've driven through Manassas to get to the tidewater area, I've driven through the Beltway to get to I-95 to NC, and I think I'd prefer to pound my testicles with a hammer instead.

I know there's people by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:50:42 AM EST
that troll the internet to find people to whack their testicles with a hammer, but rest assured I fit neither of those profiles.

please bear in mind by dmg (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat Jul 08, 2006 at 09:16:53 AM EST
That even if you hail from a country with a longer tradition of freedom than the USA, this kind of behaviour could land you in hot water.
Ain't no time for crossing over, from the PM to the dawn!
Maggotron is gonna rock them, Maggotron has got the bomb!
Goin to the country by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 06:54:54 AM EST
Damn I haven't done that for way too long.

I really liked Heavenly Creatures when I saw it, though it is pretty creepy. I don't understand how he could go from that to Kong.

Missing Poll Option: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:03:14 AM EST
  • Wetbike.

• Perhaps I should have said all terrain by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:11:01 AM EST
    I'm meaning landbound vehicles, though some have limited aquatic capability.

More Options: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:15:42 AM EST
  • Camel

• Ostritch

• Ricksha

• Palanquin

• Unicycle

• Log/Boulder

• Segue

• [ Parent ]
    Those are good options by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:18:57 AM EST
    a shame some kids had to go ruin the edit diary option for everyone.

Fish by snugglebunny (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:07:48 AM EST
    I was thinking of a completely different reason for your hands smelling of fish.

Then again my mind has become awfully dirty recently.

As was I, and fleece by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:09:59 AM EST
    I find double entendres are great for driving traffic to my diary.

WIPO: Cessna by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:08:19 AM EST
    Can't get much more off-road than a Cessna, except maybe with an SR-71 or a Saturn V.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Well, I meant land bound vehicles by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:11:59 AM EST
    darn my foggy specifications.

Ride's much smoother by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:19:37 AM EST
    I don't care what kind of suspension you've got, even with turbulence I get a better ride in a Cessna. And better mileage than a Hummer... almost. A 172 only burns around 5-7gal/hr.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Teh Mooney gets almost 19 mpg by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:14:39 PM EST
    I don't think anything else comes close in mpg.

Ob:MOONEY! by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:12:17 PM EST
    Not Slow

neither of which by garlic (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Jul 09, 2006 at 06:34:00 AM EST
    is still flyable.

you're talking about SM right? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:56:06 AM EST
    It's actually the largest city in PA.  if you go by land area.  it's odd, I was once in the middle of know where once and there was just the road and trees, and then the sign saying that I was in SM city limits.  Actually civiliazation was another 10 minutes away or so.

Blizzard of Death '06
    It's probably the most heavily armed city, too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 07:59:31 AM EST
    if you go by guns per capita. But yeah, SM it is.

what about snowmobiles? by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 08:37:50 AM EST
    Dress warm kids, 70 mph wind chill is nothing to laugh about in the middle of the winter.

I know you can race them on grass by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 08:45:21 AM EST
    but they don't last long on rocks, or narrow rutted mountain trails.

update midatlantic infidels by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 09:59:33 AM EST
    I was wrong, we're talking MD, not NoVa.

You know it's a good wedding | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback