Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 05:30:53 AM EST) A Day in the Life, cubicle, fuckwits, footie, FIFA, pie (all tags)
FIFA Fo Fuckwits

Germany's playing Italy tonight which means no one will shut the hell up about the game. Most people are dressed in the national colours (and combinations of red, black and gold/yellow really make the haute couture designers cream their jeans). Little work is getting, even less here in the Cube of Hate® due to interruptions and general prattling on from my cow-orkers along with idiocy from IT.

Most of the talk centered around the fact that Torsten Frings is banned from tonight's game for supposedly hitting an Argentine after the match was over. Except every damned photo and video shows him defending himself from a hit by an Argentine player. See for yourself.

Like I care about footie.

x-posted to the blog sans poll.

The list of bad refereeing and improperly won matches is almost endless: Ghana beating the US because of an alleged foul which every camera showed never took place, Italy beating Australia because of an alleged foul which every camera showed never took place (probably because the ref didn't feel like running around another 30 minutes), a Croatian player getting three yellow cards before finally being sent off, Ronaldo getting his own teammate Rooney sent off, and, of course, Frings getting pulled tonight because he had the audacity to try to prevent himself getting hit in the face.

Then there are things like offsides calls being wrong 25% of the time. Not quite Maradonna's Hand of God, to be sure, but bad refereeing is so endemic that I don't see why people even bother watching this shit. The Italians and Brazilians don't bother playing the game, they just dive and the cameras all see it. But not the refs. FIFA needs to fully revamp their refereeing, add a couple extra assistants on the field and accept the fact that video is with us and proves the veracity (or lack thereof) of whatever happens on the field. Even after a dozen different TV cameras showed Fring blocking a hit and not striking someone himself, he's out tonight.

Meanwhile, I need a big shovel. I'm running the show in our readiness testing and it's up to me to have the new version up and running, along with finding the errors in our documentation on actually getting our software installed and running. Because the server I have VMWare on is Windows 2K3, according company policy it has to have static IP address. I've been waiting a week already one the deadline for my completion is tomorrow. I also can't use our other virtual servers on the IT center racks because for some reason, images aren't being dumped onto the machines. Maybe it has something to do with the fire.

High atop Munich on the first floor of the Panopticon (main door now broken: stairs only) we've already hit 30°C indoors. There's no A/C. It's time to go home, although the trains will already be full of idiots drunk enough to be stupid but not drunk enough to fall over and sleep, all on their way to the Theresienwiese (where Oktoberfest is held) or the Stadium or to every bar and Biergarten in town to watch tonight's spectacle. I'm betting there will be at least three clear Italian dives during the game, as well as the same number of "seriously injured" players rolling around and crying like schoolgirls until some German gets a yellow card, after which each will magically heal and start playing again.

If the refereeing is so bad -- and it is -- stop fucking watching the games. If people would stop watching and stop buying all the swag out of disgust, FIFA would actually react. It's all about the money.

Fuckwits.

< Stand and Deliver | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Self defence on a pitch in front of thousands by nebbish (4.00 / 4) #1 Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 06:06:44 AM EST
Surely that involves standing back, not punching someone in the face.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Bad refereeing by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 08:23:54 AM EST
Is it ironic that 50% of the examples you cite are wrong?  Rooney being sent off was not bad refereeing - the ref was well within his right.

"Even after a dozen different TV cameras showed Fring blocking a hit and not striking someone himself"

I have no idea what proxy you're using, but the video you linked to shows him clearly punch him in the face with his left hand, while the Argie (the one who he was defending himself from, remember?) has both his hands wrapped around a different German.

But yeah, video evidence should be included for important calls.  Preferably, however, by people whose eyes work.

Dude by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 03:37:07 AM EST
He may be in Germany, but is wasn't that a bit of, like, irony or something in his post?

Or am I being trolled and double-trolled. Again.

Well, I was unsure by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 04:51:18 AM EST
There seemed to be an interspersion of obvious rubbish, and reasonable points.  Knowing how blind football can make you when decisions go against you, I assumed he was just an idiot.

Also, as of about 2 years ago, I officially handed in my trollerisers' license.  The side effect is that I am now incapable of spotting trolls or anything disingenuous at all.

Little known fact: by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 11:54:55 AM EST
Not only does hockey have video replay, it's also better than soccer/football in every conceivable worthwhile metric ever invented since the beginning of time.

Sure, the refs still suck, but there's not a sport on the planet that wouldn't be better without refs who are always fucking biased against $YourTeam.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Ronaldo and Rooney aren't teammates. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 01:46:43 PM EST
Well, they will be next time they're on the pitch, but, I mean, they're representing their countries. Anyway, for someone who doesn't care about footie, you've sure written a whole lot about it.

At least you're saved from any future Germany games, anyway.

-1 misinformation by TPD (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 01:58:28 PM EST
3rd place play offs.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
+1 better informed than me. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 02:12:46 AM EST
By gigaparsecs, I think.

+1 Succesful Footie Trool by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 04, 2006 at 03:16:23 PM EST
Parsecs better than SoccerGenius.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
A Day in the Life | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback