Print Story Fear and Loathing
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 08:45:31 AM EST) Ireland, Consumerism, Reading (all tags)

What I'm Reading
Finished Fat Girl by Judith Moore. Kind of a self-loathing autobiography, describing her unhappy childhood and her hatred of her fat body. Stays refreshingly free of any kind of positive message: no happy ending, no permanent weight loss, no message of fat acceptance: she regarded herself as unequivocally hideous failure.

Doesn't say much about Fat Issues in general: I'm pretty sure most fat people haven't been abused that much. Suspect that even if she'd had a fast metabolism and been thin, the self-hatred and feelings of ugliness would just have come out some other way.

Short, honest and lucidly written; it's worth reading if you're in the mood for something like Dave Pelzer's evil twin.

Note: author seems to have died from colon cancer a few months ago.

Extract, review, review, review.

Ireland Notes: Day 2
Managed to get some sleep. Wasn't too hot, but the windows didn't cut out all the noise. Got some earplugs for tonight: should have brought some, but losing my travel skills

Also showcasing my lack of preparation: all the Dublin museums are closed on Mondays: didn't occur to me to check opening times. Still, cuts down on the tramping around duration

National gallery was open though. Have a fair-sized collection, with a scattering of big names. Includes a portrait of Omai by Reynolds, the Polynesian with the tragic life I read about. Pretty diverse collection including Picasso, Monet, some Spanish and Low Country art: good place to get a neat tour through the history of Western art

Also did the open-top bus tour which works a lot better than the Paris version: buses every 8 minutes on the city tour. Didn't do much stopping though: feeling completely knackered for no discernible reason

Went to another tourist restaurant for lunch: this time had Irish stew, followed by Death by Chocolate and ice cream. Just had an apple for breakfast. (The Quays restaurant temple bar). This time the Irish stew was delicious: succulent chunks of meat, filling potato (they seem to have dumped a bunch of mash in there as well as chunks) and very creamy soup-sauce

Other thoughts: I like the traffic crossing they have here: they stutter and beep like an old electronic game: every time you cross the street it's like playing Space Invaders.

Did a few more things in the afternoon. Had another look in Dublin castle, but access to the inside is only by guided tour and couldn't be bothered. Only one tower is very castle-like, the rest of it is newer, more Victorian-looking

Went into Christchurch cathedral which was well worth it. The cathedral is rather bijou, though with some interesting stuff scattered around, including a mummified rat they found in an organ pipe during the renovation, and a mummified cat that had been chasing it. Presumably the cat got stuck and blocked the rat's escape route: not sure who counts as having won that round. The vault has a bunch of interesting stuff as well, including a load of gold and silverware donated by William III. And some stocks, and other items

Went into Trinity college which looks very impressive: jammed with tourists though: presumably they're on holiday now, but if it's like that in term time, if I was a student there I'd be permanently apoplectic with rage

Had a look at the book of Kells which wasn't really worth it: had to queue for about fifteen minutes, then it's hard to get a glimpse from the mass of sweaty bodies heaving around the table. The library there looks very impressive in a J.K. Rowling kind of way though: several floors of leatherbound volumes in a long, wide hall with a vaulted wooden ceiling

Met up with Merekat and Mr Merekat in the evening for a few beers: interesting conversation but classified. Supper: burger and chips at the Porterhouse. Had a couple of the hotel biscuits later too. Slept fine that night: was a lot quieter than the previous evening (seemed to be some kind of comedy club on next door).

Consumerism
So, my iRiver 140 seems to have bitten the dust: screen flashes and the hard-drive gives a plaintive stuttering buzz when I try to start it. Am using the mobile for now, but could do with a replacement.

Absolute requirements:

• At least 40GB.
  • Needs to handle audiobooks (either excluding them from shuffle itself or allowing me to autogenerate shuffled playlists like the iRiver.)
Strong preferences
  • Plays Oggs
  • Fits in jeans pocket
  • More than 40GB, have about 60GB at home.
  • Appears as external hard-drive on USB

Any suggestions?

There doesn't seem to be much around, as everyone seems to be focussing on little flash players now. The Archos video jukeboxes are tempting, but a bit on the large side, and the 100GB version costs a fortune. Reluctant to get an iPod.

< What A Difference A Day Made! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Fear and Loathing | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I gave up by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 09:13:04 AM EST
I am becoming an iPod-person. The rocker thingy on my iRiver broke to the extent that I can't get at the menu, only next and previous. I decided I didn't want to buy another given that the failure wasn't due to misuse, even though iRiver's firmware is one of the better ones. (Does Ogg, acts as drive, etc.) Since I've been using iTunes for podcasts and purchases, I just said "fuck it" and requested a nano for my upcoming b-day. (I prefer flash-players because my usage at the gym and walking makes the smaller size/longer battery life more attractive.)

There isn't yet a hard-drive player that'll hold my whole collection, so I won't bother with that until then.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Doot doot doot! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 07:40:55 PM EST

Thanks for the stock value bump, dude!

So by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 07:44:38 PM EST
You're going to be buying a nice Sony TV to compensate, right?

BTW: Still want that moniter?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Magic 8-ball says by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 08:13:25 PM EST

Chances are good. I've got my eye on a flat-panel LCD of the > 50" variety manufactured by Mother Japan, and that thing is pretty sweet.

Also, hellz yeah. I'm not sure how I'll get it, yet, as I've only just begun looking at cars, but yes, I certainly want it.

Okey dokey by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 08:15:03 PM EST
It's sitting in my office just waiting for you.

And I hope you're buying a quality Sony product and not some imferior piece of shit.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I think you'll find by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 12:52:05 PM EST
They're made in mother Korea by folk who laugh that their former oppressors can no longer produce such tat.

I put a bigger drive in my iPod by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 04, 2006 at 10:12:25 AM EST
It's not too hard once you crack the case open. How big will they have to be for your whole collection?

100 gb by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 04, 2006 at 11:13:47 AM EST
Not that big deal. By the power of ethernet, I have my music available most places anyway.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
More on "Fat Girl" by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 09:55:24 AM EST
Fascinating Big Fat Blog discussion. Why I wrote Fat Girl.
Seeing as the geniuses in the blogocrack by idiot boy (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 10:51:43 PM EST
seem to think that all players but iPod and Zune will be dead by the end of 2007, you'd better choose one of those and face the fact that you'll never be playing an ogg.

Don't buy an ipod. The great mystery to me is why noone complains about thier habit of eating tunes. You need to chkdsk the damn things once in a while and every time you do, more tunes end up in the Fat32 version of purgatory.

Zune by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 11:09:37 PM EST
I doubt Microsoft are going to go from vapourware to wiping out Creative, Iriver, Sony, Samsung and so on in 17 months.

The Iaudio X5 looks interesting: up to 60GB and plays Oggs. Expensive though.

I think by idiot boy (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 12:18:38 AM EST
that the Cantonese interface may prove something of a challenge.

Yeah. looks good though. You can't really blame MS anyway. They were just doing what Scoble told 'em to.

How long did the iRiver last you? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 11:59:50 PM EST
I'm in the same predicament at the moment after my 1GB flash player died. I'm looking for something bigger (30GB up) and it's very difficult.

There doesn't seem to be much in the 60GB market apart from iPods - why are you reluctant to get one? I've had Creative recommended to me but haven't really got a clue.

I've just got a fifteen quid 256MB flash player off Amazon, I might stick with that, it's all too confusing!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

iRiver by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 09:26:01 AM EST
It lasted slightly less than two years, which is disappointing. Not sure if it broke on its own: I had it in my bag while travelling and it might have been whacked around a bit.

Reluctant to get an Ipod because the antipiracy software means you can't easily move stuff onto it (though there are apparently ways to disable that), I think you need iTunes to move stuff onto it which I can't be bothered with, they don't have some of the features I want, and there seems to be an innate wankerishness about them which makes my skin crawl slightly. Might still end up with one though.

Agreed by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 12:27:34 AM EST
iTunes is a bit crap, and yes they are very wankerish.

I've been told Creative are robust and last a long time, but I wouldn't take my word for it (I'm definitely going to do more research into the matter).

Seriously thinking of just getting another 1GB player. I don't really want to spend more than 100 quid on an MP3 player that breaks after a year and a half.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Fear and Loathing | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback