Print Story Ask HuSi: MP3 player?
Gadgets
By lolwhat (Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 05:35:01 AM EST) mp3 player, reviews please (all tags)
As an early adopter of bleeding-edge technology, I'm thinking about getting one of them newfangled MP3 player doohickeys. Actually, I'm thinking of having Teh Wyfe buy one for me, what with my birthday coming up.

In addition to stealing buying music online and pushing it to the unit, I'd like to be able to rip my existing CDs onto it. I won't be exercising with it, but I will be driving with it jacked into my car stereo; I don't know whether driving would cause problems with hard-disk-based players. Storage space upgradeability is a plus. I don't need to be able to watch videos, either - just listen to music.

Would some edition of the iPod fry my bacon, or is a different player more up my alley?

Frisbee.

< Statistics are human faces without the tears. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask HuSi: MP3 player? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
We have three ipods by cam (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 05:54:39 AM EST
They are like queen cassettes in the car. Even if you never bought a Queen album, you end up with a car full of them.

Our first iPod filled up with tv shows, so my wife wanted one with more storage. Funnily enough my nephew watched ghost hunters on the new ipod last weekend. So I guess people will watch tv on it. The new ipods have bigger screens on them too.

I have a nanopod. Since my consistent playlist is about 600 songs this is the right size for me. The ipods have our entire CD/itunes inventory(?) on them which is overkill as I dont listen to all the country/roots/bluegrass mp3s which seems to make up about half our collection.

I think the nanopods are about $200 too which is a good price IMO. I havent used other players.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I'm a fan of ipods as well. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 06:04:51 AM EST
My gf has a 20GB one with everything we have in MP3 format on it. I have a 512MB shuffle that I put NPR podcasts and about a 50 song playlist onto. I end up having to update mine basically daily, which is fine because of the podcasts. My gf only updates hers when we get a new CD. The shuffle is a good way to go if you're feeling cheap, and it can hold a decent amount on it.

I have a 30 gig video ipod. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 06:07:46 AM EST
And I have almost all of my CD collection on it, in addition to two seasons of Buffy and a handful of other random tv shows. I watch the shows on the train, mostly. I plug it in to my car audio with no problem (I have an aux jack in the car, and it just plugs into the headphone jack). I haven't tried any of the other mp3 players, but I've been incredibly happy with this one. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the 60 gig, just because of the tv shows, but for just music, a smaller one would be fine.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
iPods work. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 06:09:55 AM EST
They can be used as a storage device, and there is much in the way of alternate (non-iTunes non-Apple) software to run your (non-DRM) music with.

Otherwise, they're all about the same, it's just up to you for interface likes / dislikes.  The one company I dig outside of Apple for this sort of thing is iRiver.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

if you are thinking of going flash by 256 (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 06:29:52 AM EST
i am entirely enamored with my samsung yp-u1.

the fold out usb port is slick and the battery life is excellent.

though what really sold me on it was that it supports OGG and UMS, so i can play my entire music collection without converting anything and i can plug it into any box--be it windows, mac or linux--and have it just work with no software. doesn't seem like it should be much to ask, but you'd be surprised at the number of flash players out there that still require proprietary drivers/software.

anyway, it's cheaper than an ipod shuffle and i have nothing bad to say about it.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Being mostly by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 06:34:36 AM EST
computer illiterate I find the software for the Ipod very easy to use.  It even converts other sound files to it's format with no problem.  I love the radio shows you can get(podcasts) and the selection of audio books is impressive.  The boyfriend and I both got refurbished Ipod minis for Giftmass last year and it's one of the best investments I ever made.

2 Cents by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 07:05:34 AM EST
I've had a MuVo for about two years now and it's been friggin great.

Pros:

1. Flash based. Never skips at the gym.
  2. Uses regular batteries - no need to worry about getting screwed when some proprietary battery dies. Plus you never have downtime.
  3. USB - You cram it in the USB port and drag and drop files on it. Works with Loonux and Windows. No need for proprietary software or messy cables. It Just Works. You can also put other files on it because it works just like a USB hard drive.
  4. Cheap.
  5. It's not an iPod.
Cons:

1) They give you no easy way to make a playlist, so you need to create different folders and kludge filenames if that's an issue. Really I don't know what they were thinking in this regard.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

damn by theantix (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 02:04:13 PM EST
That looks really good.  If it could play .ogg I'd buy it right now.  Oh well, it's the price I pay for being a frigging hippie I suppose.
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.
iPods are still way too fucking expensive. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 11:05:44 AM EST
But they are nice.

I've got a 1 gig Sandisk that was only like 60 bucks. Very nice, though a bit small.

Also, they now sell power adapters for cars that have that USB type male connector, for input into an mp3 player or the like.

they are indeed by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 03:37:24 PM EST
although the nanopods are decently priced. Mega volume = cheap flash memory prices for Apple.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Get an iRiver or a Creative Labs ZEN. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 11:18:18 AM EST
Some of them are cheap enough to be throw-aways and you can meet all your requirements. The ZEN for example will rip a CD input directly to mp3. The only thing that should really control your choice is storage capacity. Don't look for space 'upgradeability'. By the time you want more space, the device will be obsolete.

Ask HuSi: MP3 player? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback