Print Story Stick a Fork in Me... I'm Done!!
Health
By Mrs FlightTest (Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 06:43:56 PM EST) (all tags)
Do I glow in the dark?
I'm in need of an alignment
Zoom Zoom Zoom
Dad's new shadow
Bestest Hunny in teh World!!
Administrative Assistant
Jumping through the hoops
Will I ever graduate?

Radiation:
Today was the last day of radiation for me. I was given a certificate after my treatment by the radiation tech. It states:
Outstanding Patient
Certificate of Appreciation
is hereby granted to:
Mrs FlightTest
Best wishes for your health and
happiness!
Your Radiation Therapy Team
Kinda corny if you ask me, by hey, whatever.

I did have 2 days extra off from radiation, Friday the 7th & Monday the 10th of July due to the extent of the burn and the fact that on a scale of 1 to 10 my pain was at about 11!!! I was prescribed silvadene cream & lidocaine 5% ointment. The stuff is great and it worked wonders. The last 6 days of treatment were what they call a “boost”. The radiation was more focused on the area where the tumor was and did not penetrate as deeply. But yesterday I noticed lovely blisters that oozed yellow crap all over my bra, likewise it happened today and the smaller one actually bleed a teensy tinsy bit. A call to the radiation oncologist gave me <sarcasm>relief</sarcasm> as he let me know that it is possible that the skin reaction would actually become worse over the next few days, but then should calm down. Gave me the symptoms to watch for that would warrant another call and/or visit to his office. Oh the joy never ends!

Fortunately I do not glow in the dark. However, my right breast was red as a lobster for awhile & the burns caused a great deal of pain. I only took 2 partial days off from work due to the burns though. For those who are curious as to how icky they looked, you can see for yourself. But be warned, these may not be safe for work or SO's, if you've just eaten, are getting ready to eat or are faint of heart. OK so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but don't say I didn't warn you. Be sure you really, really want to see it before you click.

Burns under my arm

Another view of the underarm

The area under my breast didn't hurt until later when the skin peeled more, but we failed to get a picture of it at its worst.

It was actually redder than this at one point, but after a few days without radiation the color started to fade a little.

These are the newest blisters, this pic taken just a few minutes ago, they are not oozing as much as they were yesterday.

Lopsidedness:
This may contain TMI, so consider yourself duly warned before you continue to read this section. It is now evident that my breasts no longer match in size. Depending on what I am wearing it is more or less noticeable. I have to “arrange” the girls to get the proper headlight alignment. If I just plop them into the bra, they do not match. My cleavage will never be the same again. At a later date I will post some before and after pics in the same bras or tops for comparison, right now I am still too sore to be sporting anything but a really comfy bra.

Outback:
As you may already know if you have read FT's diary, we have a new car. I really, really, really like the fact that I can set the temperature on my side at 65 if I want. Dual climate control really rocks. The moon/sun roof is cool too, but since I'm not supposed to hang out in the sun for about a year, we only open it at night. It could have more storage area in the passenger compartment, but overall, I am glad we got it. It is very comfy to drive.

Bullet:
Again, if you read FT's diary you already know about my dad's new dog, but here is another pic anyway. I think he is beautiful. Although his hindquarters don't seem to be quite big enough for the rest of his body. From what my dad says, this dog is quite the character. He follows my dad everywhere and is already very attached to him. He also likes to help my dad. When my dad is out in the yard (he has an acre of land) looking for gopher holes so he can set traps, Bullet helps him by digging the hole out!! His other dog, Lucky lets him know when a gopher gets caught in the trap! Bullet also helps dad “rake up” the horse manure! I am really glad my dad got the dog and it seems that Bullet is bringing a lot of enjoyment to my dad. I know he still really misses his horse, but he has a new buddy to help keep his mind off the loss.

Bullet the Wonder Dog!

FlightTest:
I have the absolute best husband in the world. He has been so wonderful during all of my treatment. I know that he is worried about me, he is afraid to touch me for fear of hurting me. I feel so bad for him. I know this has been hard on him as well, but there doesn't seem to be any type of “treatment” for the husband. I have been moody, irritable, and tired ever since I got the diagnosis. In fact, I haven't slept through the night yet since getting that awful call from my doctor. FT has gone to many of my appointments with me, he runs out and gets me whatever I want, be it a movie or food. I think he should get the spouse of the year award for taking such good care of me and putting up with me through all of this. He really hasn't complained much either. I want everyone to know I LOVE FLIGHTTEST!! He is the bestest hunny evar!

Review:
Had my 3 month review yesterday. My new boss absolutely loves me and I get to stay!!! The job as Administrative Assistant is so much less stress than the billing job I had I cannot believe it. Plus one really nice thing is that I have so many varied duties, the job doesn't get monotonous. I have even been able to work some from home when needed. I like all of the people and they all seem to like me. It is a bit different from what I have done in the past, but I really believe this was a great move for me.

Adoption:
We only have 2 more parenting classes to go, then our formal “training” will be done. We had our physicals last week and got the stamp of approval from our doctor that we are suitable for use as parents. So far we have gotten CPR & First Aid certified, gotten our fingerprints done and the physicals. We still need to get our DMV printouts, make copies of our proof of insurance, marriage license, divorce decrees, complete our questionnaires (really more like autobiographies - what life was like for us growing up, our family life & why we want to adopt, etc), and complete the form indicating what type of child we want. Once we get all that done, we still need to clean up the house, have our individual interviews with the social worker, then finally our home study. If all of that passes muster, we create a photo album for potential children to look at so they can decide if they might want us as parents, then finally we get to meet a child that may one day call us mom and dad.

Education:
I only have about 5 or 6 classes to finish my AA in Small Business Administration. I have been working on this 2 year degree since Spring of 2002!! Wonder if I will actually finish or not. A lot will depend on if/when we get the kidlet. For Fall 2006 I will be taking ECON Macro and the fitness PE class again. The ECON class is online except for the orientation, midterm & final which take place on campus on Saturday. I don't mind, it will make it easier for me I hope.

The End

P.S. If I bore you to sleep or tears, it is your own fault. You should know by now that I am boring!

< Working | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Stick a Fork in Me... I'm Done!! | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)
Not unlike burns from our mighty Kryptonian sun. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 4) #1 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 09:11:05 PM EST
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!

I will not kneel..... by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:10:26 PM EST
I will simply call for Super Chicken

FlightTest: by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 02:23:19 AM EST
...has been a real top man from everything I've read on from your posts. I'm glad you had him there through a tough time.

A real Gem by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:11:50 PM EST
That is for sure.

Wow. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 02:23:30 AM EST
Those burns look really painful. I'm really glad you've made it out the other side of that particular part of the treatment.

Here's to staying clean and healthy and moving on to the next part of your life!
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM

They were! by Mrs FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:15:36 PM EST
My little blisters from the boost oozed some lovely brownish yellow crap today. If it continues tomorrow I guess I will be visiting the doc on my way home from work.

At least these don't hurt like the other burns did. One upside to the burns is that the scars don't seem as noticeable now since I have peeled. I will make my final determination on that in a month or so.

Having a partner by blixco (4.00 / 4) #4 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 02:49:57 AM EST
that unconditionally and unquestioningly supports you is the make or break thing, I think.  I keep trying to picture what people who are alone do after gigantic medical procedures...or even tiny ones.  I can't picture not having someone right there, handling things, knowing everything.

There's a lot to be said for toughing things out, etc.  But ya kind of have to do that anyway; no-one can experience the burn pain or treatments with you. Having someone, though, who helps handle everything else is so valuable, so necessary, that I can't imagine any sort of successful recovery without it.

Your husband is a wonderful guy.  It's not easy being the caregiver, not easy at all.  It's a very, very difficult place to be.  And yet.

Thanks to him. And our best to you; those burns look really goddamn scary.  I've had some bad burns, and I hope whatever you're using to kill pain is working.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Truer words have never been said. by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 05:21:26 PM EST
And just to contradict everything I've said to pd, I think I'll go shoot myself now -- or maybe make another G&T...

um, who is pd? <n/t> by Mrs FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:22:44 PM EST

pd is by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 02:42:30 AM EST
paper doll. And "all I've said" was in here.

Extra Strength by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:21:27 PM EST
Tylenol Rapid Release do a pretty good job of managing the pain.
those burns look really goddamn scary. I've had some bad burns, and I hope whatever you're using to kill pain is working.
Thanks for the well wishes.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

ooohhh, mommy by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 03:58:53 AM EST
owie boobie. ow. eep.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Yeah, but by Mrs FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:23:59 PM EST
at least I still have my boobie!! Gotta look on the bright side.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

and being alive is a bonus too. by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 04:22:08 AM EST
definate bonus.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
When Breasts Cry Out In Pain... by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 04:03:14 AM EST
...so too do we all.

Best wishes and speedy recuperation from me and mine.

Thanks to you & yours by Mrs FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:26:33 PM EST
for your cyber love & support.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

hooray, you're finished by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 05:56:36 AM EST
here's hoping you get the "all clear" for eternity!

re: bullet - I can't remember if FT mentioned this in his diary, but has you dad had the dog checked for hip displasya (sp?)?  If not, you should take him to an orthopedic vet and have the test done - there are simple things you can do to keep the hip from getting worse and save the pup pain.  Beautiful dog!

Done with Radiation anyway by Mrs FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 07:12:29 PM EST
I go back on the 22nd of next month to the radiation oncologist for a follow-up, see the genetic counselor on the 28th of next month & the regular oncologist again in September. My mom still sees her oncologist and her diagnosis & surgery was in 2002. But at least it won't be every stinkin day anymore.

As for dad's dog:

re: bullet - I can't remember if FT mentioned this in his diary, but has you dad had the dog checked for hip displasya (sp?)? Beautiful dog!
They took him to the vet with the intention of having his hips x-rayed to check for the hip dysplasia, but the vet took an x-ray of his spine & told them that either the dog has no hip joint, or it is popped out of joint. It is difficult getting second hand info, so I don't know for sure. This site seems like what might be the problem. The vet did give them a prescription for Rimadyl, that is almost $2 per pill. They are supposed to give him 1/2 in the am & 1/2 in the pm. Instead they give him 1/2 in the am & 1/4 in the pm as they don't think he is in as much pain as the vet seems to think he is in.

Dad told me tonight that yesterday Bullet ran out the front door when he got home (he had jury duty & was gone all day) and stood next to his truck!! Teh silly pup wanted to go bye-bye with his cowboy!! He also likes to guard the horse when he is out in the backyard. Since there is only one horse now, sometimes dad will put him in the other stall so he can put off shoveling the manure for a day. When Bullet got out there today and saw the horse was not in his regular stall, he started barking!! Things didn't look right to him. I am so glad dad is enjoying this dog so much & that he gives my dad so many chuckles.

I agree that he is a beautiful dog. I actually found him on the internet at an area shelter, printed out his picture and encouraged my dad to stop & check him out on his way home after Father's Day. They only had to pay $37 for him & that included his neutering, shots & microchip.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

I'll give FT a big, hot, sloppy, deep kiss by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 11:47:30 AM EST
to pass on to you.

Congrats and good luck going forward.

P.S. You're not boring.

I'm waiting :P by Mrs FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 07:14:26 PM EST

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

Funny. I can't seem to find Mr FT anywhere... by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #22 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 02:40:05 AM EST
He was here just a minute ago. Wait. What's that whimpering sound coming from inside that closet...

#;^D

I'm a little annoyed that the adoption agency by calla (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 03:37:27 PM EST
is going to show off parents with photo albums. I mean, what if you can't scrapbook and Mr. and Mrs. Psycho can? Does that mean that the Psycho's have a better chance of getting a kid?

I'm offering my scrapbook skills for your photo album. We'll come up with some tricks that should get kids' interest.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

Unfortunately by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 07:19:25 PM EST
yes that is exactly what it means.
Thanks for your offer, that would be really cool. I need to get busy & find some pics that we would like to include. I was gonna ask my sil if I could see what they prepared for the birthparents when they did this. They adopted an infant almost 4 years ago now & are working on the 2nd adoption now. They want another infant, but so far have not been chosen.

My experience and knowledge of scrapbooking is basically nil. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

My sister had a company by calla (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 02:59:04 PM EST
that made scrapbook sheets. She's a scrapbook queen.

I'll send her a message and see if she has any suggestions.

We're going to beat Mr. & Mrs. Psycho!

Damn girl by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 10:48:39 PM EST
Those burns look nasty. The upside is you've still got big boobs! HAHAHAHAHAH! WEEEEEE!

I'm so very happy your radioactive days are over.

Lopsided? Bah! No one will notice. Besides, there are ways of dealing with that.

P.S. - It is heartwarming to know a German Shepard has adopted your father.

I will just be by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 05:52:11 PM EST
glad when the pain is done & I can stop putting crap all over it all the time.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!

Stick a Fork in Me... I'm Done!! | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)