Print Story Phenomenal.
By blixco (Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:21:03 AM EST) meta meta, meta (all tags)
How do you refer to us? Not "us" like, the holy trinity that is me, myself etc. but the "us" in HuSi?  Because you can't spell HuSi without us.  There is no I in...oh, yeah...there is.

Look.  I'm just mentioning all of this because I am sitting at a computer for the first time in ten days (versus lying on my back and balancing it on my chest), so I'm feeling a bit sassy.

But I have to take a quick walk, so bear with me while I completely lose my train of thought.

Right, then, where was I?  Oh, yeah: botfly larvae. I have a sick...I mean, really goddamn sick...fascination with parasites.  I am fascinated with them, impulsively look at pictures and descriptions of their lives and habits.  I am especially fond...if that can be said of something that I loathe and want to eradicate...of worm-type creatures that live on or under human skin.

Nah.  Just kidding.

I was just enjoying a cup of this coffee...it's from a bunch of beans that my good friend Ryan sent from the pacific northwest...and I was contemplating the lifespan of the botfly, when it hit me: I have no idea how to communicate any of this in a spoken conversation without invoking some deep and distant artifact of my past that involves the words "I wrote at this website" and "yeah, we don't know whether it is 'who-see' or 'hussy' though I just call it 'hulver's' in my head because, well, the guy's name is hulver."

Now, as a stumbling block to polite conversation, that one is second to none.  Because at that point, you've had to so grossly overexplain yourself that the person listening...if they are a casual acquaintance and not, say, a life partner who has had to suffer your fdoolishness gladly for the last 10 years because you're such a putz...has at this point sort of glazed over and is internally saying "ok, whatever, this guy is one of those bloggers I read about."

And I'm not, y'all know that.  I ain't LiveJournal-ing here.  I'm not talking about politics.  Hell, I even once or twice leaned toward fiction pretty hard.  And I certainly haven't mentioned the crimes that the Hezbollah and the Zionists are bringing upon themselves and humanity.  So how the heck do I...I mean, you know?

What the hell am I?  What is this?  It's not like I get paid to be here, and I certainly don't always do it for fun.  There are times when I write just because if I don't write something, I'm gonna' have to, I dunno, talk.  And no-one wants that; I literally cannot be shut up.

So I write.  And it's not like the journal I keep, my little Moleskine sketchbook.  It's not like the dialog that remains private to me.  It's not the tousands of pages of handwritten screeds that I maintain, they date back to my youth.  No, I'm not diarizing here, yet when I describe it to people?  I tell them "yeah, it's a diary site, sort of," but they have no idea what scoop is or what kuro5hin used to be and so they can't relate Diary to anything not Ponies and Slumber Parties and as soon as I say "more of an electronic journal" they either think "blogger!" or they think "emo adultlescent!"

So, fuck.  I mean, I spend a lot of time here.  Not all my time, certainly, but a lot of my time.  I read about y'all, and I love every word.  In the olden days, I'd be all about writing letters with distinction and flair and maybe even those little crayola-wax seals.  But right now I am here, looking in on y'all who I consider, all of you, especially those of you who are so damn quiet all the time, I consider you friends.

Not "acquaintences" and not "users" but friends.  Even those of you who hate the way I write and can't stand me, I dig ya.

Excuse me while I take a quick walk and totally forget what I was talking about.

Now I have to go to the doctor.  But anyhow, do me a favor, let's figure out a way of referring to one anothet that doesn't require a goddamn Wikipedia reference.  What are you to me?

What am I to you?  And, yeah, I know I am blix to most of you and not the more formal blixco or the less formal jason, but beside that...what?

< Snowman | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Phenomenal. | 68 comments (68 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
HuShi'ites by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:29:46 AM EST
Alternatives:

Husers
Husinauts
Hubarians

Hussies by Cloaked User (4.00 / 4) #7 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:07:53 AM EST
To me, it has to be hussies, although I am aware that some people seemed to take offence to that when it was starting to become popular a while back. Over-sensitive spoil-sports the lot of them

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
How do you refer to us? by gpig (4.00 / 3) #2 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:32:45 AM EST
is surely a question for an FP poll ....

In addition to Mr Brown's list, another alternative would be 'hussies'.

(,   ,') -- eep

"My fellow HuSians" by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:33:29 AM EST
Or Cowquaas, as in, "So I'm meeeting with a couple cowquaas this week. "Cowquaas"? Well, it's sort of like "buddies" but more fun-loving, normally members of a group of people who write over at HuSi. We make each other laugh and or drink a lot."

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Do you say by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:17:20 AM EST
cow-kas or cowgahs?  Or cowgas?
Khow-kwahs by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:31:46 AM EST

But den oi'm posh loik dat.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
"friends" by 256 (4.00 / 5) #4 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:40:58 AM EST
i can't possibly see why we need a new word.

i play your songs for my mother, she asks me who did them, i say: "a friend of mine in texas."

works well enough.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

That's what I use, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:16:22 AM EST
but then I get "oh, where'd you meet?  How do you know people in the UK?" and then I'm talking for a half hour trying to succinctly describe this entire thing.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I describe it (rather inaccurately) as by komet (4.00 / 2) #22 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:05:16 AM EST
"a website where computer people talk about just about anything, except for computers". Then they say, "what kind of computer people?" Then I lend them my copy of Lysergically Yours to read. I suspect it might give them the wrong impression, but at least they don't think we're bloggers.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
IAWTP by toxicfur (4.00 / 3) #15 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:36:02 AM EST
When I hang a piece of spacejack's art on my wall, or when I'm playing blix-music on my ipod, or I send a CBB book to a friend, or I relate a funny story to my mom - it's just "a friend of mine I know from online." Most people don't ask questions beyond that.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
Who are you? by DullTrev (4.00 / 8) #5 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:43:24 AM EST

The people I deny all knowledge of.

DFJ?
I hate the way you write, but I love you by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #6 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 03:44:02 AM EST
With the man-love.  Can I still have a blowjob?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
No! by blixco (4.00 / 3) #8 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:15:25 AM EST
But let's talk when I'm a little less sober.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
"There's these blokes I know" by Phage (4.00 / 4) #11 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:19:47 AM EST
(As this is teh intahweb, there is no evidence that there are any women here at all. They are far more likely to be a bored bi-curious bearded engineer from Biggin Hill.)

Oh. You mean me0w. by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #56 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 07:32:20 AM EST

--top hat--
Ouch ! by Phage (2.00 / 0) #63 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 06:23:02 AM EST
Does she live in Biggin Hill ?

You've never seen my picture before? by me0w (2.00 / 0) #65 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 04:20:53 AM EST

No beard, but all hawt man.

My eyes ! by Phage (4.00 / 1) #66 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 07:00:20 AM EST
The goggles ! They do nothing !

This is a forum, darling, by webwench (4.00 / 3) #12 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:30:24 AM EST
or an online community, if you want to get grandiose about it.

When you call it a diary site, people immediately get to googling, and that's no good. It's not really a blogging comunity, and 'journaling' makes me think of livejournal and its every 19-something emo fuck.

But to be honest, with casual acquaintances who wouldn't understand, I sin by omission and fail to mention it at all.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

I dunno, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:38:12 AM EST
I mention it all the time, mostly to people who are themselves very computer literate, so I need something.  Forum doesn't necessarily work.  "What sort of forum? What's the subject?"  Online community gets me "like, a dating site?" or "like, a gaming site?"

Succinct is impossible, but there's all these stories that I tell that are actually y'all, so I just say "this friend from Georgia" and then, inevitably, "Oh? Where in Georgia did you live in do you have family in are they related to...."

Goddamn.  The problem isn't this site, it's the nosey motherfuckers I talk to!
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

discussions need scope statements by webwench (4.00 / 5) #33 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:42:27 AM EST
"I'm sorry, that question is out of scope, unless you'd open a change request."

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

johnny... by ana (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:32:44 AM EST
spent a large part of our rehearsal dinner/buffet thing, and our wedding reception, wandering around expounding on the glories of husi and scoop sites in general. Though I don't think we recruited anybody, at least one church person wanted to know what the url is.

It was also amusing that he spent 20 minutes or so on this harangue with wndl, who's been lurking on scoop sites longer than johnny has.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

I'm still by paperdoll (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:36:21 AM EST
trying to figure out what all the initials people use stand for so I have no clue how to define anything.

It's ok. by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #55 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 07:30:40 AM EST
IYKWIM. YMMV, but IANAL. PLSPSTPXTHX, and you are invited to my WTFBBQ.

HTH. HAND.

--top hat--

See by paperdoll (4.00 / 1) #67 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 10:23:40 AM EST
I don't know what ANY of that meant.  Should I slap you, give you money, kisses, I have no appropriate response?

There is an appropriate response. by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #68 Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 05:31:39 PM EST
But involves a sedated badger, six cans of pringles (exactly six, no more no less), a set of handcuffs, one nineteen-year-old thai hooker, my own private parking space inside the space needle, couscous, five genetically engineered super-intelligent squirrels, a pomegranite (lord knows where you must actually stick said pomegranite), one and a half ounces of high quality irish whiskey, a turntable with one vial's worth of the blood of the innocent poured upon it in the ancient tradition, a sample of hair from blixco, (doesn't matter where, as long as it's hair, and it's from blixco)...

...and ni's left testicle. Keep in mind, the ritual won't work if the testicle isn't whole and attached as ni desires. This part is very important. The other parts, not so much.

So get to it. The clock is fucking ticking.

--top hat--

How do I refer to "us" by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #17 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:42:03 AM EST
Depends on who I'm talking about.  Even in normal life it depends on who I'm talking about.  I have friends, co-workers, and people I know.  Here I break it up the same way, friends and people I know.  I don't see a reason to differentiate the people in this community from the people I sit across the aisle from at work.  There are lots of people here that I know better than the friends who live down the street.

As for your dilemma about referring to your posting.  I remember back in the 90s when you would send out these long rambling emails to about twenty people.  I don't see how this is much different than that.  You're emailing a large group of friends with the same information.  That's how I view my own diary here too.

---------------

Oh yeah by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #19 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:56:46 AM EST
The exception to your posting is that now I'm not annoying your brother with a reply-to-all conversation with Gabe.

---------------
I use by Breaker (4.00 / 7) #18 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:45:55 AM EST
"Imaginary internet friends".

It's no secret that half of you are federal agents, and the rest are perl scripts and Eliza bots.

Federal Whatnow? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #30 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:35:16 AM EST
Are we going to have to pay you a visit?
Oh. You mean me0w. by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #57 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 07:33:56 AM EST

--top hat--
I have, in fact, been clubbing with me0w. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #59 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 07:40:59 AM EST
And the good Dr Thrusty one night, so I know they're  not bots.  Then again they did nip off early (probably to post a report to their secret service masters), leaving me to have an incredibly satisfying evening in the company of a random New York chick.

/beams in recollection. Hehe.

Was that the chick ... by me0w (2.00 / 0) #62 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 05:27:47 AM EST
I chatted up in line?

"Polish - American", yes. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #64 Wed Jul 26, 2006 at 07:59:15 AM EST
Second mouse gets the cheese!

Hehehe!!!

? by 606 (4.00 / 1) #61 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 02:37:04 PM EST
And how does half of you are federal agents make you feel?

Please elaborate.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Bot fly. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #20 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:57:15 AM EST
no fun. Still have a scar from mine. Thus, I avoid vacationing in third-world places, even if they are really pretty.

I pulled the first one out in the bathroom, then went to a doc to have the other one cut out. It's always bad news when the doc's cutting you open and say "Oh my!"..

Yikes. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #21 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 04:58:38 AM EST
I'm sickly fascinated!

Did it hurt?  Was it just goddamn bizarre?  Did you extract the first one using an acceptable suffocation method, or just pull? Any problems after?

ugh by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #24 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:09:59 AM EST
Well, I'll try to fill it out.

Had a large, what the dermatologist swore was a boil, on the side of my face. It had two 'breather' holes that would, at times, weep puss/blood/fluid. And, it was occasionally very painful. You could poke/prod it to 'drain' more. Dermatologist kept swearing it was a boil, though it developed after spending a week in Belize (mostly in the rainforest), and I thought it was something scary tropical, couldn't convince the doc either way.

Well, I'm a dedicated picker/scratcher/itcher. Was poking at it in the bathroom and saw something barely coming out. Applied a bunch more pressure, and plop, out comes a 1-1.5" long white cylindrical thing.

Now, ordinary men at that point would have freaked out. Me ? I plopped it in some saline, waited for my dad to finsh talking to whatever neighbor was on the porch, and said "I think we need to go to the doc" and showed him what I just pulled out. Dad didn't handle it too well, but I don't blame him.

This all was sophomore year of HS.  Had gone around for 3 weeks with a nasty ass huge boil-like swelling on my face, and that wasn't great for the image, I'll say. But I was happy to have it out. When doc cut open and found another, well, that sucked, but they could biopsy that one. Took the biopsy to the dermatologist, got a little info on it but no apology.

Yow! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #29 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:32:04 AM EST
Ugly!  Yikes!  That's, just, ouch.
It's the by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:41:03 AM EST
icky factor that gives me more the willies.. Pulling it out actually didn't hurt too much. Just gotta do what ya gotta do to get through, or something..

Bleh. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #34 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:44:21 AM EST
And yet, I am still fascinated.  But yeah, I think that, hey, I can deal with something feeding off of me...odds are, it has developed a painless method of doing so.  But the extraction is the ugly part...being faced with that...ugh.  There's a very graphic tapeworm description online out there somewhere, guy tells the story of taking the pill to kill his tapeworm and the horrid results.
Oh yeah by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #35 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:49:40 AM EST
I think someone posted that for Q about 2-3 years ago -- it's accompanied with MS Paint pictures of the whole process..

I've had my nose broken, and removing the 3 yards of packing in my sinuses for that was uncomfortable enough, I can't imagine what pulling a tape-worm out the butthole would feel like. Gah. It's a reflexive clench to think about it.

Dracunculiasis. by Phage (4.00 / 2) #39 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 06:33:58 AM EST
Just wrap it around a stick and pull.
<shudder>

That's not how you remove a tapeworm by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #42 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 07:06:09 AM EST
Tapeworms are removed topside. You starve for a couple days, then you literally swallow a baited trap on a string which the hungry (and stupid) tapeworm goes after. It gets caught and pulled out.

While under treatment you don't get to use a normal toilet. You must use a bedpan or old-person bucket-in-a-stool potty sort of thing and your waste is collected, treated as a biohazard and incinterated.

Not as horrid as a botfly, really, and certainly not as painful, but the ick factor is sure there when a 20-foot long sectional flatworm is pulled out of your mouth.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

They have a pill by blixco (4.00 / 1) #43 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 07:16:27 AM EST
that kills the tapeworm and its segments.  It's a tapeworm poison.

You get to feel the thing thrashing in its death throes.  Then, you get to...get rid of it.  Via a toilet, in the case of the account online.

Ugly, ugly stuff.

Dogs by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #46 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 08:37:19 AM EST
My dog had one last year.  We didn't even notice it pass.  One pill and then the little bastard was able to start putting on weight.

---------------
um by webwench (4.00 / 2) #36 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:50:14 AM EST

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

i once by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #44 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 07:45:57 AM EST
pulled one out of a kitten. and i live in wisconsin.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Well, the vast jungle by blixco (2.00 / 0) #47 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 09:44:50 AM EST
of Wisconson is famous for it's botfly population and the emerald steel-nosed viper.
not quite by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #52 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:26:41 PM EST
but we have badgers and timber rattlers, which are close.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Human botfly by blixco (2.00 / 0) #53 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:28:31 PM EST
are limited to central and south America, but furry little creatures here in the US can fall prey anywhere.  They're common on squirls and rabbits.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Yeah. I gotta work this out. by calla (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:08:16 AM EST
The whole singin' for you on the day of your surgery put HuSi relationships back in the spotlight of my mind. It's funny that I've had no trouble explaining to people that I met my bf online. Online dating is perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately online friendships still aren't given the respect they potentially deserve. Think of it - we've been reading about each other for years!

Friends - definitely.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

It's a good question by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:10:07 AM EST

It's tricky. I don't want to say anything along the lines of "this forum" or "this blog" as, judgemental opinions on 'social software' and its users aside, people then tend to ask for a URL (people are generally bored that way) and, generally-speaking, I don't want those cats showing-up.

HuSi, to me, is like a nice pub in the next borough; you feel at home there, but aren't constrained by the social entanglements of your real-life situation, because your more proximate acquaintances don't frequent it. For example: Why must you be nice to your girlfriend's sister's flatmate's partner?[*] Technically, you don't, but given that you'll be seeing them frequently enough over a prolonged period of time, it kinda helps to be sociable at least. I don't want that type of shit invading my Scoop-o-spheric existence, so tend not to talk about places by URL. LookingGlass (although he's not been Scooping much recently) and I know each other in real life, but we have very similar attitudes to it.

As to the other direction, I use all the variations you mentioned: "A friend from X ...", "I know this Y who ..." (where Y can range over man, woman, bloke, lass, developer, artist, writer, musician, tosser ...) etc. I doubt anyone here remembers, but I once got into a lot of trouble by venting quite strongly about an RL situation online. Partially through being naive, and partly through a fluke of circumstance, it came back to bite me in the arse as RL parties found out. Since then, I've deliberately kept RL details to a minimum on principle.

[*] - That's about as removed from the considerations of your own choices and responsibilities as possible and yet it's a link which still affects you.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Puuuuub !! by Phage (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:16:44 AM EST
Now there's an idea.
As the weather in Londinium has warmed up a tad, isn't time for a pint beside the river ?

one of those bloggers by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #26 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:10:12 AM EST
Should be written "one of those bloggers". With some indication of the eye-rolling.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Friends by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #28 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:27:51 AM EST
As others have said. You're a friend of mine from Texas. It's simpler to explain the people I've met, such as yourself, than the brits etc. Often folks here become "a writer friend from X", "an artist I know in Y". It helps that we know the RL location of most everyone here.

But all of that is for people who ask where I heard a story or when I need to credit a story I'm about to tell. Are you really asking, "how do I explain what we do here, how do I tell the story OF husi, describe why I spend my time here, but crushed within an elevator pitch?" Cause I don't have the answer to that, there are precisely four people in my non-husi life who are explicitly aware of what I love about this place, and where specifically it is, and all of them are very close to me.

It is blogging though, it is LJing, it is a forum, what we feel is different is the words we fit within these easy to explain forms. So you've just got to tell the stories.

"The people on HuSi" by debacle (4.00 / 1) #37 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 05:51:41 AM EST
On the internet, it is drastically important to maintain the fact that you're all still people.

I'm definitely people by gpig (4.00 / 1) #40 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 06:38:36 AM EST
but I have no idea if anyone else on this site is. I could just be communicating with a load of talkingtyping dogs.

Which would be extremely cool.
(,   ,') -- eep

ARFF by Phage (4.00 / 2) #41 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 06:41:55 AM EST
<cough><cough> I mean hear hear ! Old chap.

If it ever comes up... by The Fool (4.00 / 3) #38 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 06:33:12 AM EST
I usually refer to "this bulletin board that I read".

I'm so cutting edge, 1981-style.

You to me. by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #45 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 08:27:54 AM EST
It's very simple, yet I could probably write volumes on this -- on the various connections everywhere, here. It's as complicated as friendship is in real life, I guess.

This is going to be one of those diary-in-a-comment things I sometimes write, but it often happens in your diaries so you should be used to it. Still, I apologize in advance.

What we're doing here, that's a harder question. I mean, I know, but I can't say exactly why I write what I write here and not what I don't. Why I share some of the same stuff in other venues but not all. Why some things I throw out there as if it's a potential start to a conversation when I don't really expect anyone to respond (and sometimes that's what people comment on, so like I said, I really don't know anything). Sometimes it's as much performance as it is a record of events or trying to catch thoughts before they evaporate. I dunno, but somehow, it works.

Maybe this is a forum about nothing, the Seinfeld of online communities, only not manufactured to air on NBC.

I have these friends, going back to college -- we've exchanged so many emails back and forth, in every direction, built up whole philosophies doing this. Most of it lost through leaving email addresses behind, some of it trapped on floppy disks I can't read anymore ... We decided to try moving that conversation to a blog, to have some kind of record of our crazy thoughts, leave a trail ... but it went nowhere. We couldn't figure out, are we writing for ourselves, each other, hypothetical readers at large who don't even know us? What kind of backstory do we need to explain, out of so much that's built up over the years?

Maybe this site is just the right audience. The right combination of shared history and continued evolution of this, this whatever-it-is.

Except for all the parasite stuff going on here. That's just icking me out, man.

I wrote this about four times. Tough question.

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."

It is by blixco (2.00 / 0) #48 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 09:51:24 AM EST
a tough question, both aspects of it.  I had a long and muddied article that I wrote here last year about just this...and I determined that I write for people because I need an audience, and I do it here because I like the comments.

Something like that.  All very ego driven.  Now, though, I don't think that was it.  I'm just not sure. My large group emails and maillist rants are very different, too...there's nothing about those that could be repro'd here.  Even my usenet stuff was very different...all of it different flavors of the same thing, different versions of the same song.

But yeah, the whole damn thing is tricky.  We're the ones..you and I and all of us...figuring it out. Maybe we'll define it and each other and our impulses in some natural way that just makes total sense 5 years from now.

right, right by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #50 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 10:58:15 AM EST
I remember that long post, and I think there's still something to it. It's part of the picture.

But, why this stuff, here? What about that, what about there (all the other theres that exist)? Why don't they mix in any other combination?

I think it does have to do with the audience. And probably the persona. The space in between, the effect of one on the other and vice versa. I'm a slightly different person in the anonymity of the WFCs. For a short time, it's like having a dupe account, a non-account, and that changes the whole equation. I find that interesting. (That may be just me. You know I ponder this and the whole persona-issue a lot.)

I think we've already got it figured, but not in any way that we can express in any rational way. And your answer and my answer may have a lot in common, but they're not the same. It's like the you-me-us thing: simple, but if you didn't get it, it would take me forever to explain.

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."

so it's by ana (2.00 / 0) #54 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 06:34:24 AM EST
intusive.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

yes by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #60 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 02:26:49 PM EST
That occurred to me, but I thought to actually say it would be too self-referential.

This is why I need to be published, I've realized, just this very second: so "intusive" can be the next "protemploration."

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."

mrgoat by BlueOregon (4.00 / 2) #49 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 10:40:53 AM EST

or, fellow goatians, goatees, the goat herd, the herd shot 'round the world ... that sort of thing.

Or: to other husite/hussies -- husites or hussies. to non-hussies: friends, friends online, folks I know, folks I know of, Eliza-bots.

Oh. You mean me0w. by mrgoat (4.00 / 2) #58 Tue Jul 25, 2006 at 07:37:44 AM EST

--top hat--
random internet people by alprazolam (4.00 / 2) #51 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 12:27:54 PM EST
or, a random internet dude on this forum i read.

Phenomenal. | 68 comments (68 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback