Print Story Back from the dead, I'm the sleeper done slumbering
By Y (Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 08:19:57 AM EST) Oscar Meyer, G&S, starving artists (all tags)
It's been a while, hasn't it?

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Wiener...

So, my wife and I were driving to Wendy's for dinner the other night, and we saw the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile. It was probably in all honesty the only time I've wished I had a cell phone with a camera.

Tripping hither, tripping thither

We went to see the opening night performance of the Houston Gilbert and Sullivan Society's performance of Trial by Jury and HMS Pinafore last night and ran into Stacky, clock, and marcellus(?) whilst greeting riceowlguy in the green room after the show. The show itself had a touch of nostalgia for me since the act I finale music was the primary source for the act I finale of a college theater production I was in called Butter Battle. I half expected the chorus to sing, "And this should be a Yookman's daily attitude."

Do go see the show. As Rafe Rackstraw might say, it is an unparalleled and heretofore unprecedented extravanga of amusement, fraught with frivolity, a mixture of mirth and merriment, replete with romance, a true comic delight in the tradition of those venerated ancestors of musical theater. Nowhere else will you bear witness to such a sensorial amalgam of complementary elements that will leave you soaring to empyrean heights on wings of uproarious laughter and polyphonous song, borne aloft on the arms of Euterpe, Erato, and Terpsichore in turn. I do hope I make myself clear.

Recap

As for what's been going on in the interim since I stopped diarizing "a many years ago," I'll give you the short version. I got baptized, went through brain surgery, got married under the looming threat of a hurricane, quit my job in March to start my own contract writing business, and am now working at a coffee shop to supplement our income, because as alluring as an official position as a starving artist is, it tends to make one hungry. Mrs. Y says I have now become the quintessential beatnik, and she has been threatening to buy me a black turtleneck and a beret to wear to work.

Mind you, I'm not just sitting at home and playing (too many) video games, and I've been working on some personal writing projects that one day I hope to get published. But the current major project still has me in the research phases, so it will probably be a while before anything like that happens.

Thinky pinky!

On that note, I'll leave y'all with a thinky pinky. Hint: a role in a G&S remake of "Damn Yankees."

< On Location From the Casa McRacky | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Back from the dead, I'm the sleeper done slumbering | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
sorry... by Y (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 08:25:39 AM EST
"marcellus" should read "atreides."

At least you spelled it right... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jul 23, 2006 at 05:54:34 PM EST
Oh, yes and you are #56...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Back from the dead, huh? by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 11:10:32 AM EST
Yeah, I can identify with that sentiment. But this is my third coming already; I fear it may well be my last.

Best get out there and enjoy it while I can then, eh?

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Brain surgery? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 11:29:11 AM EST
Jebus. I hope all is well.

Good to see ya again.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

All's well... by Y (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 12:32:10 PM EST
...that ends well.

The surgery took place a little over a year ago. It was a bit scary because after the actual surgery, I was in and out of the hospital over the course of 3 weeks for sodium deficiency and the concomitant dysarthria (not being able to talk good) and loss of fine motor coordination (not being able to sign my name or really write at all for that matter). The physical, occupational, and speech therapy took a couple of months.

But I'm much better now, and the last MRI (September 2005) turned up clean, so I'm in the clear. I thank God that the only permanent reminders I have from that experience are a scar on my leg and a minor involuntary twitch in my feet. I could have come out a lot worse.

Wow. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 12:42:38 PM EST
Seriously, makes all the noise I've made about my back seem silly.  My parents have a partner at their lawfirm who had a brain tumor removed recently...flew to Houston after his last ironman triathalon thing, because he couldn't get up any longer.  He's now in chemo and radiation therapy but doing remarkably well.

It's the attitude going in and coming out, makes a huge part of it.

Anyhow.  I am glad you are well.  This medical shit, it's some kind of scary.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

the attitude going in and coming out by Y (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 12:56:01 PM EST
Amen to that. But honestly, the surgery itself wasn't the problem. I only had a pituitary cyst, which, although growing at the time, was not a malignant tumor or anything like that. There weren't any immediate complications from the surgery per se.

The sodium deficiency that happened after I left the hospital the first time was what was crippling. Even now, the doctors aren't sure what happened and disagree among themselves. That being said, I'm glad to be living in what could conceivably be called the medical capital of the world.

Good to hear your parent's partner is doing better. Hope your back is doing all right now as well. Back problems are nothing to sneeze at, either. I know plenty of people who've had back problems, and they're no less incapacitating. Being confined to a bed is being confined to a bed, no matter what you're in for.

Given that Y is one of my best friends by riceowlguy (4.00 / 2) #7 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 01:14:46 PM EST
and I consider Teh Y's to be part of my extended family essentially...while the brain surgery business was scary and all, don't discount the seriousness of you back problems.  Y wasn't in excruciating pain for years and years.  We're all equally glad to see you getting better.