Print Story Photo diary.
Photos
By blixco (Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 10:32:39 AM EST) Pictures (all tags)
Old pictures, and some gruesome new ones.

I was digging through my stack o' backup dvds and found one that had some old family photos.  So I thought I'd post them here because they are almost universally funny, if unintentionally so.

The Rock Band.

They used to, in the old days, wear matching outfits. My dad's band, the 6th column, were all about the fashion of the day.  My dad is in the back on the drums.

The Princess Bride.

A nice big late 60's Catholic wedding.  My mom was 18, I think.

The cross that was on top of the cake hung on my wall for most of my childhood.

The Army Recruit.

Before he went off to Europe to get knifed and shot on D-Day and spend four years fighting then rebuilding the places they'd blown to bits, my grandfather had a portrait taken for his girlfriend, my grandmother.  This is hardy hillbilly stock after you put some 1940's movie special effects into it.

Like Burt Reynolds and shit.

My brother is 3 years older and several sizes larger than I.  In this photo, I was growing out of my blonde hair (I was blonde until about 8 or so).  This was roughly 1979 or 1980.  The black Firebird Trans Am is my father's.

Gruesome, not safe for appetites.

If you look through my files, there are two pictures of my back.  Both are poor enough in quality to qualify as horrifying.  They are here (day after surgery) and here (two days after).  That second one is really just a shot of my ass.  Tough to take pictures with one hand behind you when you aren't allowed to twist.

< Insert Title Here | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Photo diary. | 71 comments (71 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Jeepers by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 10:44:53 AM EST
I'm glad you opted to put a link to the shot of yer ass.  I don't need to see that.

---------------
Indeed. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 10:52:28 AM EST
No-one needs to see that.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Bums Want To Be Free! by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 01:46:09 PM EST
Never the less, I also appreciate your discretion.

My co-workers already think I'm soft on gayness as it is.

Photeaux. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 10:46:10 AM EST
Your back looks remarkably like my mom's did after her surgeries. Your herniation must have been in almost exactly the same place as hers. How are you feeling after the fall?

The other pictures are fantastic, in ways I don't even begin to know how to articulate. They also remind me that I need to either a) purchase a decent scanner; or b) check into services that will digitize old photos. Last winter, my mom gave me a gallon-sized ziplock bag stuffed full of photos - mostly snapshots - from my childhood, and I don't want them to degrade any more than they already have.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM

My herniation by blixco (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 10:50:43 AM EST
was L4/L5, which is really common.  My back is fine after the fall...no new pain, everything's good.  I'm taking it easy today, though.

In re: pics, my grandmother has about a hundred photo albums.  When I can, I cherry pick a few pictures and scan them, but to scan them all would take years.

I have by paperdoll (4.00 / 3) #4 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 10:52:00 AM EST
a plastic tub full of pictures I need to scan.  Of course if you throw out all the ones that my Mom chopped off the top of everyones head it's only a couple dozen.

I thought my mom was bad. by calla (4.00 / 2) #18 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 04:24:16 PM EST
At least she only cut her face out of all the pics.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

She had centering issues by paperdoll (4.00 / 3) #22 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 05:51:42 PM EST
see
Me and my sisters in 77 I'm the headless one in pink
half of her pitures end up like this.

yoga and meditation by calla (4.00 / 2) #25 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 06:49:22 PM EST
would help if she still has centering issues.

And I can't count by paperdoll (4.00 / 3) #26 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 07:07:12 PM EST
My youngest sister wasn't born in 77 this had to be 1980

Awe. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #27 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 07:41:39 PM EST
It's always creepy to see child pictures of someone you're married to.
No by TurboThy (4.00 / 3) #30 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 09:35:31 PM EST
But then again, I've known my wife since before I can remember. My parents visited her mom in hospital post-labour with me in a carry-cot.

Call it an arranged marriage, if you will.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.

A little creepy, at least? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #39 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:09:04 AM EST
Laurea looks just about the same as she did at, damn, three years old.  I mean, she's instantly recognizable.  Me, I just look like some random kid.  Stock photo of boy.
Actually by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #41 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:19:02 AM EST
you don't look that different either.

I totally do. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #42 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:20:46 AM EST
You'd have to see a group photo; I'm impossible to distinguish between 3 and 11 years of age.
Not photographically by 606 (4.00 / 1) #54 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 05:15:52 AM EST
The young you above looks just like the you in that "hello my name is" picture you always post.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Whoa, you ARE a cradle snatcher by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #45 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:29:13 AM EST
That makes her, what, 28 or so now?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
She by paperdoll (4.00 / 2) #46 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:33:03 AM EST
was the one born in 77 so that makes her 29 this year.

That's to whom I was referring by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #47 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:38:54 AM EST
I already had "cradlesnatcher" pencilled in on blixco's file, now I can ink it.  However, I won't make an issue of it, as you have a hot sister.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
She as Opposed by paperdoll (4.00 / 2) #49 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 04:12:55 AM EST
to my baby sister I was trying to date the photo by the baby who was about 6 month in the pict but chose the wrong sisters birth year.   When did Kodak stop putting the year on backs of photos?

1969 by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #51 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 04:28:55 AM EST
Same year they helped fake the moon "landings".

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
She is by blixco (4.00 / 1) #61 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 09:28:17 AM EST
five years younger than I.  I think I wrote about it extensively at one point, but it was in one of my regular "this is how much I love my wife" stories, so you didn't catch it.  She was 15 when we met, 17 when we fell in love.  Nineteen when we married.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Oooh, nicely judged by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #64 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 11:11:07 AM EST
Just this side of creepy, just that side of naughty.  You definitely lucked out there.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Indeed by LoppEar (4.00 / 2) #50 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 04:23:43 AM EST
I can't see the resemblance in your pic by the car, but even I can see Laurea in this one. I agree on the creepiness, always strangely disturbing going to visit a girlfriend's parents house with a family photo timeline down the hallway. Not exactly sure why, maybe pedophilia revulsion - this 4 year old looks too much like the person i'm f'ing! wait, it IS the person i'm f'ing!

yeah. still, cute.

"A little creepy"? by TurboThy (4.00 / 1) #69 Sun Jul 23, 2006 at 05:38:23 AM EST
That would be your subconscious trying to fight your latent pedo leanings.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Oh. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #70 Sun Jul 23, 2006 at 08:41:18 AM EST
OK.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
So we finally get a picture of Dr Laurea by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #33 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 12:34:09 AM EST
But where are the boobs?  You promised us boobs, dammit.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
She's by paperdoll (4.00 / 3) #35 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 02:51:24 AM EST
only 3 in that picture if she had boobs we would have made the Enquirer or at very least The Weekly Wold News.

I promised no such thing. by blixco (4.00 / 3) #37 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:03:24 AM EST
Though here's a grown-up pictures:

Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

OMFISG, what a totally sweet rack by Rogerborg (4.00 / 5) #43 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:25:12 AM EST
mount.

Quite the nerd hawtie, very well done.  What did you have to promise to Satan in return?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

She kinda looks like she could kick my ass. by mrgoat (4.00 / 4) #52 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 04:38:52 AM EST

--top hat--
Lab hottie by 606 (4.00 / 6) #55 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 05:21:45 AM EST
So this one time I meet a girlfriend of a friend of mine and we're talking and she mentions she's in school and I'm like "o rly, what are you studying?" thinking it's gonna be communications or something like that and she says "well I'm going for a PhD in bio science" and then launches into a half-hour discussion of her thesis which has to do with the tensile strength of muscle tissue and various genetic factors, and after about five minutes of listening to her talk a voice in my head starts screaming "dude you should totally have babies with this chick right now omg!!!" My friend is a very lucky man.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
great pictures by MM (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:08:10 AM EST
Reminds me of the few thousand photos my dad has from about 1920 - 1980 in the basement. A lot of them are from WW2 era Philippines, which I should take a look at again next time I am home. Three of my grandparents died before I was born and the 4th was lucid until I was about five years old, so the pictures and a bit of dad's commentary are the only little links I have to my family's past.

I'd spend some time scanning them in if I could, of course there is no way he'd allow me to remove them from the house much less bring them out here for a few months to do so.

Yeah, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:48:03 AM EST
I need some sort of flawless autofeed and a very fast importation routine.  So far over four years I've only scanned about a hundred photos.
Great photos by cam (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:08:38 AM EST
nt

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thanks! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:49:10 AM EST
Though I do wish I had more of that car.  It was terrifying.  And it had a quadraphonic sound system with a joystick to control speaker balance.
Interesting by komet (4.00 / 3) #8 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:42:44 AM EST
how those old photos are much, much better than the average shite posted on flickr. Megapixel masturbators, take note.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
There's by blixco (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:45:48 AM EST
some of that deep saturated heavily edited nonsense that I like, but only as wallpaper.  These I'd never use as wallpaper; they aren't impersonal enough.
Allow me to say by TurboThy (4.00 / 3) #12 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 01:09:17 PM EST
rounded photo corners are teh shiznit.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
And that was from by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 01:22:19 PM EST
a 110 cartridge camera.

I have a whole slew of 110, 126, and Disk negatives.

wow by phiberoptik (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 01:31:10 PM EST
my dad looks exactly the same now as he did then.

Oh, and by blixco (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 01:38:05 PM EST
just for comparison's sake, here's a recent one of my dad, my nephew Chris, my brother, and my nephew AJ at an Oakland A's game.

Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Daddy Old Rock Band by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #17 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 01:51:49 PM EST
I know that somewhere in my kipple I have photos of my dad from his band days which include one in which he's wearing a cape.

Not like a I'm-a-spoof-superhero cape or a I'm-dark cape -- a I'm-so-counterculture-I-pretend-not-to-care cape. At least, that's the expression his face. That wearing the cape while playing bass is definitely cool. That people other than hippies wouldn't have to stifle giggles.

It's a swell photo.

(Insert procrastination about scanning old photos here.)

I dig those old pictures. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #21 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 05:44:35 PM EST
My dad has a bunch from some random New Years gig with a sequence of him falling off the drum throne.  He'd had a bit much to drink and smoke.

The look on his face in each picture is one of relaxed, suave, sophisticated humor.  This gring and these half-open lids.

Like, yeah, I meant to do that.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Hey -- Weird! by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #53 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 04:48:48 AM EST
I think by 606 (4.00 / 1) #56 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 05:25:32 AM EST
...the Wikipedia "degrees of separation" for every man, woman, and child in the first world is about 2. Still, that's pretty cool. You should add some photos to that article!

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Me, An Offical Edward Bear Archivist? by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #57 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 05:33:53 AM EST
As my first act with this new authority, I invite/punish you to sample some of the band's...work.

Presto!

I should indeed find those photos and scan them. I'll officially add it to my To-Do List (which currently occupies several warehouses in Mississauga).

I told my dad to go to Wikipedia and flush out the information a little more, but for some reason he's got the willies when it comes to editing Wikipedia.

Well technically he's not allowed to edit his own by 606 (4.00 / 1) #58 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 05:43:50 AM EST
article. It violates some sacred rule or something.

That song sounds very 70's. Thanks for the link!

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Oh, I See. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #60 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 06:33:29 AM EST
I kinda thought he'd been a reasonable authority on his own career, but I see the point of poo-pooing self-editing.

So I guess I'll just have to do it.

On Photos and Scars by MissTrish (4.00 / 2) #19 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 04:52:58 PM EST
My family has always been big on the geneology thing; my mom has us traced back to 1650 (nowhere pretty). As a result, we have albums and albums of barely-indentifiable family members going back as far as pictures can go. The ones that are on wood are especially cool. There are "ghosts" in at least half of them.

That thing'll heal in no time to be a bitchin' scar that will impress the ladies. Rock on.

Incidentally: you dad didn't read a lot of Heinlein, did he? Everytime you mention 6th column, all I can think of is the book.

ypu're a chair
They were by blixco (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 05:40:51 PM EST
all childhood friends, the whole band.  The guitarist on the left, Fred, had a collection of sci-fi and comix that the world would kill for.

The tagline for that version of the novel, with the pulp cover and the garish art, read something like "six men who rock the foundations..." something something.

Perfect name for a (usually) six man rock band.

In re: scar, I can't wait! Though normally I don't scar all that impressively.

re: Mom by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 05:52:32 PM EST
Uh-Oh. I think you and webwench should compare Birth Certificates.

Are you saying by blixco (4.00 / 1) #28 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 07:44:07 PM EST
that there is a similarity?  I don't see it, but that's due to my familiarity with my mom.

I did get a lot of "your mom is hot!" when I was a kid.  And nowadays, Laurea will see an old pic and say "your mom was a hottie!" and I have to shut her up.  It's just not right.

Laurea's right by TurboThy (4.00 / 1) #31 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 09:38:04 PM EST
The hair is even becoming trendy again.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Ew. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #40 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:10:37 AM EST
Quit it.
Well my man, by grendel (4.00 / 2) #24 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 06:04:53 PM EST
I'll keep it simple, at least your ass ain't as hairy as mine. Do you wax? Heh.

Good to hear from you out in the wild again.

They did by blixco (4.00 / 2) #29 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 07:45:12 PM EST
have to shave the area that they cut into, but I'm not quite a Yeti.

I'll hopefully write more next week, when I can sit.

+1FP by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #32 Thu Jul 20, 2006 at 11:54:42 PM EST
Father founder of rock and roll, Grandfather saves Europe.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Heh. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #38 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:06:37 AM EST
More like: dad covers tunes by rock founders, grandfather helps save Europe.

I've only recently been a study of some of world wary two.  It looks as though the British lost one hell of a significant amount of population.  I'd never realized, really, how many people had been killed in that war.

The numbers are staggering, to say the least.

Civilian deaths by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #44 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:28:35 AM EST
43,000 killed in the Blitz, mainly in London. Of course, no-one suffered like Russia did.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Oh and also... by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #48 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:58:29 AM EST
If your Grandfather's still around, say thanks to him from me.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

He is by blixco (4.00 / 1) #63 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 09:35:55 AM EST
and I will.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Mom looks like a Star Trek bimbo by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #34 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 12:41:26 AM EST
Which, it should go without saying, is a good thing.

In fact... hang on... Angela Martine from Balance of Terror.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Huh. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #36 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 03:02:13 AM EST
Yeah, sort of creepy.  I am fond of that word.  It's the pain meds.
Nice ass. by debacle (4.00 / 2) #59 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 06:00:26 AM EST
You need to get outside more. Find yourself a tanline. That's just not healthy.

That's perfectly healthy. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #62 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 09:35:09 AM EST
My vitamin D comes from nutrition.  I've had a lot of skin cancer removed over the last fifteen years because I ran around as a kid without my shirt on.  Yeah, I always had dark skin, but it's not healthy.

You can die from that shit.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

You can die from choking on toothpaste by debacle (2.00 / 0) #65 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 05:22:37 PM EST
Go outside and sweat.

Oh, I go outside. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #66 Fri Jul 21, 2006 at 06:05:18 PM EST
I just got back from my second walk with Pico of the day, however, i only do so covered in sunblocks with an SPF of the highest magnitude, shirts that repel UV, and jeans.  And a hat.
Jeans? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #67 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 04:28:48 AM EST
Like, long heavy blue pants?

I've got nothing against sunblock. There's nothing worse than finding your way to the beach or waterside and paying for it with a week of peeling skin, sleepless nights, and itchy cheeks.

Like long heavy blue by blixco (2.00 / 0) #68 Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 06:16:53 AM EST
denim trousers, yes.