Print Story The Beep of the Wild
Furries
By The Fool (Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:12:25 PM EST) (all tags)
Fuzzy things in SPACE!!!

Our house has been invaded by strange beeping creatures that ate all our vegetables. To be precise, we are currently babysitting the class guinea pigs for my youngest son's preschool class.

They came on Friday, two guinea pigs in a big metal cage, dropped off by their previous caretaker--pigs, cage, care and feeding instructions, replacement bedding, hay, and assorted other oddments. By Sunday we had no vegetable matter left in the fridge.They ate two heads of lettuce, assorted carrots, and some other bits of fruit and vegetable, along with heaping helpings of hay and some mysterious pellet food that came with them.

They're terribly cute, especially the beeping noises they make any time they get excited. When I put fresh parsley in the cage, they beeped. When I took them out for some "floor time" (during which they liberally dosed my kitchen floor with urine and feces), they beeped. When the cat started sniffing around their cage, they beeped.

Anyway, that appears to be the extent of their interaction with people: beeping and peeing. They allow themselves to be petted, but they don't seek it out.

------------

In other news, my wife found our copy of Civ III while digging though some boxes in the garage, so I spent a good bit of last night playing that. I should really get around to buying Civ IV one of these days.

So there you go.

< It's deleted. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Beep of the Wild | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That pellet stuff by debacle (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:14:39 PM EST
Tastes like grapenuts on crack. A very amicable breakfast cereal.

Ew by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:36:19 PM EST
The guinea pigs get new grapenuts every morning, because they invariably crap in their bowl every night.

Maybe they like the added bouquet.

Awww. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:18:02 PM EST
I wonder how ana would feel about a beeping guinea pig. :-)

Actually, I think I can deduce the answer: Laughter followed by, "So who are you trading in?"
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM

The deal is... by ana (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:22:49 PM EST
you take care of the effluent.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Obligatory... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:19:05 PM EST
PIGS IN SPACE!

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

My dear friend by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:40:46 PM EST
got stuck with some of these.  She hated them they beep all night being nocturnal.  She "accidentally" let my Labradors get hold of them told her kids they ran away.

I'm just glad... by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 12:58:12 PM EST
that we're only babysitting.

My wife wanted to get some for the kids at one point, but no longer. They're just way too high maintenance.

Cute, though.

Our pigs are TEH CUTEST!!! by calla (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 07:54:02 PM EST
Especially when my daughter's best friend has been babysitting them for the last month.

Ours only "reet" when they think they're getting food.

I'd post pics, but I don't think you really care.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

Civ IV by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:14:13 AM EST
Buy it now.
____
Your command is my wish by The Fool (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:48:15 AM EST
Hey! My wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary tomorrow. I think that a game of world conquest is an appropriate gift. Don't you agree?

Good call by duxup (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 06:50:11 AM EST
Don't forget to pillage some cities to make sure everyone knows how much you love her.
____