Print Story I have the flu
Health
By MissTrish (Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 01:29:43 PM EST) sick, dying, dead, vampires (all tags)
I'm Dying

Here I thought I just drank too much (commence laughter: 1 1/2 pint, 2 shots rum), and that the rocking-chair that doubles for my office chair was fucking with my back (and kidneys, and ribs, and hips, and ankles), and that maybe I had carpal tunnel.

No no my friends, the fever is confirmed at 99.9 F. I have the flu. And if the pain is an indication, I have had it since Thursday.

I am positive this is the first time I have had it (not just carried it and passed it around like a dirty pair of underwear) since before I was fifteen. What this means, since you care oh-so-much, is that this is the first time I have experienced continuous muscle tension for days along the column of metal I like to call "my spine".

My hands are numb from all the pinched nerves.

I find that my fear of water is a small thing when faced with sickness, especially if it stands between me and a bath.

I am such a goddamn whiner.

At any rate, I was fortuitously delivered the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer yesterday. I am almost on the second season. I would invite you over, spacejack, but I would likely infect you. If you believe yourself immune, you are welcome, but I may not be good company. We do need a marathon day/weekend/week.

< Holy smoke and snakes alive I never thought it would happen to me | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I have the flu | 39 comments (39 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Can you get some Tamiflu by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 02:05:58 PM EST
if you can take it in the first 48 hours, I think, it will probably get rid of the flu, it worked for me.

First of all by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 02:21:36 PM EST
I've never even heard of that. Some furrnier voodoo mojo? Second, too late. I probably would have recognized is as the flu sooner, but I blamed away all the initial signs as stress.

ypu're a chair
It's the shiz-nit by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:05:13 PM EST
It's an anti-viral, so in addition to working against the common flu, it's probably helpful against avian flu, ebola, SARS and a slew of other nasty diseases.

I took some in February when I felt the flu coming on (I had to call the Dr's answering service) two days later I was fine.

Tamiflu by ni (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:28:31 PM EST
Last I heard, whether Tamiflu will actually be helpful in treating an H5N1 pandemic is still up in the air. It has been used in treating SARS, but it's unclear whether it's doing much. It doesn't do anything for ebola, unfortunately, nor does anything else.

Viruses are pretty varied, and tamiflu very specific in what it does. It blocks the function of the neuraminidase enzyme, which is, as far as we know, specific to the influenza family of viruses.

my experience is that people will do amazingly stupid things in conjunction with their crotches -- persimmon

i read something by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #29 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 07:16:43 AM EST
that hypothesized that some of the european cases of sars may have actually been h5n1.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Maaaaybe? by ni (2.00 / 0) #34 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 10:04:06 AM EST
I haven't read it, and don't know anything more than your average well educated person does about either, but it seems a bit unlikely to me. Some reasons:
  1. The mortality rate of H5N1 is over 50%. It's slowly rising over time, but even linear extrapolation wouldn't give us the SARS fatality rates we saw in Europe (and linear extrapolation would be far too generous here). Of the 35-ish people with probable cases of SARS in Europe, 1 died. One might thing that superior medical care in Europe would explain the low mortality rate, but even the global average SARS mortality rate was only 10%.
  2. Outside of China, SARS cases aren't seen after 2003, but H5N1 cases are only barely seen before 2004. There is an overlap, but it's a tiny one.

Canuckistan Tamiflu by ni (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 03:04:39 PM EST
The Tamiflu situation in Canada is a bit weird these days. Roche is having a lot of trouble making it, and the Canadian government is stockpiling most of what it can get.

In short, getting Tamiflu in Canada (unless you have a good reason) is a bit tough at the moment.

Having influenza isn't a reason? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #25 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 10:43:41 PM EST
Saving your silver bullets in case a bigger werewolf comes along later, eh?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
In THIS member of the commonwealth, by ni (4.00 / 4) #26 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 11:32:22 PM EST
we do not flee to the Queen's teat when our noses get stuffed. I suppose the Romans should have attacked during flu season.

Leave your body to medical science by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 02:29:06 PM EST
By which I mean my... museum.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Are you doing by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 02:41:28 PM EST
the next BodyWorlds?

If so, can I be holding my brain in one hand and my eyes in the other?

ypu're a chair
You'll be holding my brain in your hand by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #5 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 02:49:28 PM EST
Or at least the organ I use to think with.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Then you'll have some sort by MissTrish (4.00 / 5) #16 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:31:36 PM EST
of magnifying glass/microscope hooked up?

ypu're a chair
ZING! Bwhaha! [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 2) #22 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:52:28 PM EST

I don't need to take that kind of insult from you by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #24 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 10:28:28 PM EST
I can get insulted and belittled plenty at home, thanks all the same.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
But he's got a very big sword. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 12:14:16 AM EST
The metal one, I mean.

Oh puh-lease! by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 03:00:43 PM EST
99.9°F=37.7°C

Normal body temperature is 37°C and varies throughout the day by more than half a degree C. That doesn't make you sick.

Unless it gets you a free day or three off work, in which case maybe you have a subdural hematoma which is affecting your hypothalmus, thus inhibiting the function of Broca's region. Sue the bastards or at least take as much free medical leave as you can get. A week is piss easy to get a doctor to write off here in Krautreich.

Sorry, just started sneezing. I think you're contagious. I also think I'm going to get this week off before I leave for Iceland and the US. Thanks.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Fever. by ni (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 03:21:37 PM EST
Ceteris Paribus, 99.9F is a low grade fever. Or so claim the authors of The Merck Manual. I suppose you probably ought to take it up with them.

Stories by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 03:44:22 PM EST
When my stepfather was a kid, his mother sent him to school one day when his fever was "only" 99°F. He went straight from the school to the hospital with reumatic fever. Nearly died.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
normal body temperature by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #17 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:33:22 PM EST
varies from individual to individual. I've been measured repeatedly at 96.9-97.3 or so; that seems to be my normal resting body temperature.
i am 96. by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #30 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 07:17:10 AM EST
so when i had a fever of 103...i felt dead.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
yeah. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #32 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 08:50:27 AM EST
see aphrael above by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:36:40 PM EST
I normally run at 97.8 F. I just got out of bed, felt like shit, took a bath and now read 103.1 F.
The "F" stands for "Fuck".

ypu're a chair
Now that you've reached 39°Communist by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #23 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 10:06:42 PM EST
I'll concede you're sick. Should I send a pot of chicken soup?

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Not unless you want by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #28 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 04:43:23 AM EST
to have pictures of noodley vomit sent back.

ypu're a chair
Madam by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #36 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 10:54:51 AM EST
I'll have you know that I am a card-carrying member of alt.tasteless and would only post such pictures in alt.tasteless.binaries for rating á la amiHAWTornot.com.

You'll excuse me as I run off to vomit. Noodles in a proper, sickness-curing soup indeed!

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

feel better soon. by misslake (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:13:28 PM EST
love love love

i will come home later tonight.

but right now... I CAN SPIN PLATES ON THE END OF STICKS!!

WATCH ME! w00t!

Spin, Girls, Spin! by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:38:51 PM EST
I'm glad you are having a good night. I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye.

ypu're a chair
Oooh marathon!!! by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:16:09 PM EST
Save some of season 2 or 3 for me. I'm, uh, drawing tonight.. I'll probably be freed up around the same time you get better. Which will be soon I hope. Treat yourself well.

All of them are going to be by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:40:47 PM EST
saved on the Public Computer. Even if I watch some of them today/tomorrow, it's Buffy.

ypu're a chair
Ugh. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:42:53 PM EST
Water, water, water.  And tea.  And as much fruit juice as you can stomach.  And I hope you feel better soon!
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I've been trying by MissTrish (4.00 / 2) #18 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 07:33:36 PM EST
but the thought of water is incredibly revolting to me right now. The thought of drinking anything...ugh.

So I don't think and pretend it's vodka.

ypu're a chair
try gatorade by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #31 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 07:18:19 AM EST
when i cant keep water down, gatorade usually stays a little longer. plus, all that sugar will help you feel less shitty because of low blood sugar, what with the lack of eating and all.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
I probably should by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #33 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 09:41:06 AM EST
My mom keeps going off about it. "Oh, won't somebody please think of the electrolytes!" What are electrolytes, please?

ypu're a chair
ions in solution by misslake (2.00 / 0) #35 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 10:35:58 AM EST
same word and basic meaning as when used to describe  the stuff in a battery.

you get dehydrated and feel like shit because of water loss and also because of an imbalance in the concentration of salts in your blood and body tissues. you need the potassium, chloride, sodium and friends to run your nerves and allow for the transport of stuff in and out of your cells. sweating carries out valuble salts. gatorade has added sodium, potassium and chloride so it helps more than say koolaide which is just sugar and colour.

exactly by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #37 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 01:06:06 PM EST
plus, being dehydrated will actually make you more nauseous. when i was sick enough to need 3 bags of saline to pee, i stopped being as sick feeling once i was rehydrated.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Get well soon. by motty (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Jul 15, 2006 at 04:59:04 PM EST
Also, stop nicking my lines...

You are so not dying.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Ha! I /am/ dying! by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #38 Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 06:57:43 PM EST
Just got back from the hospital, and I have UTI, kidney infection, and probably flu, but since they can't do anything about it they don't care.

See, what human being can make it through that sort of onslaught?

ypu're a chair
I don't know by motty (2.00 / 0) #39 Mon Jul 17, 2006 at 04:00:40 AM EST
I guess you're about to find out.

Wishing you vast amounts of cranberry juice, or whatever it is that's supposed to be good for UTI, and a swift recovery in the meantime.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T