Print Story Gear Acquisition
Music
By gazbo (Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 03:35:58 AM EST) (all tags)
I mentioned previously that I've been working on some songs as an electro-pop duo.

Well, my ageing computer has run out of capability.  With the various compressors and reverbs on the tracks, I've run out of CPU power.  And there's still more tracks to be recorded.  WHAT TO DO?!

Original plan was to upgrade my computer to a DAW of which I could be proud.  Dual core motherbitch, 2*17" LCD monitors, 2GB, 200GB drive (possibly x2 in raid-0) etc.

Problem is that costs money especially when I'll be spending extra on good components, quiet running etc.  Plus, at the end of it I'll still only have a system that sounds as good as my current one, just capable of handling more tracks.

So I investigated what was eating my CPU.  Unsurprisingly, it was the plug-ins.  Turn all them off, and the CPU's cruising at under 10% use.  Each reverb is good for nearly 10% on its own.

If only there were some way of offloading all the plug-ins to free up the CPU, and simultaneously getting far better sound.  If only.

Yup, I bought a UAD-1.  It arrives tomorrow, and I am very excited.  The Flexi Pak (linked) is a really cool idea:

For those who don't know, the UAD-1 is a DSP card that is designed to run specific audio plugins.  The card comes with software for all the plugs, but you have to enable each one by purchasing a license.  Now you can buy various packs of plugs to come with the card and works out cheaper than buying the card and the plugs individually, but how do you really know which ones you want?

The Flexi Pak provides a bare-bones set of plugs, but also gives you a $500 voucher to purchase further plugs as you decide what you want (14 day trial for each, you see).  Now that's a great way of buying.

So tomorrow expect a diary either raving about amazing sound, increased CPU headroom, and general awe.

Or, more likely, a diary about how shit computers are, and why don't things just work?

< Anonimouse screws around... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Gear Acquisition | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bounce baby by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 03:55:53 AM EST
With my speedy new-ish PC I've got lots of headroom, but from what I've read on message boards it's best to bounce those plug-in intensive tracks to audio (once you've got them up to snuff) then archive the original track so you don't have all those plug-ins active.

Or buy new hardware, that's probably lots more fun and ultimately more efficient.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

"once you've got them up to snuff" by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 04:21:32 AM EST
Exactly the problem.  Bouncing gives more headroom, but means I have to make decisions earlier about the mix.

Plus, I've been wanting to get some better plug-ins (esp. reverbs and compressors) for a while, as sometimes the ones I have just don't cut it.

Then again, I have a list of wants as long as my arm.

Right by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 04:47:18 AM EST
Of course if you archive the track you can always un-archive it and change the settings then bounce again. Yeah, it's a lot more work that way though.

Speaking of plug-ins, depending on what you're looking for these are decent for freebies.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Funnily enough by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 05:30:13 AM EST
The reverb I mentioned in the diary is the Kjaerhus unit.  Not bad sounding by any means, but can get a bit muddy I find.

Still, great resources to have.

Ah... by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 06:23:11 AM EST
Truth be told I've never used the reverb plug-in (the ones that came with Sonar HS work okay for me), I do like the chorus and the EQ. I plan on playing with the limiter and the compressor some as I would like to better understand how that stuff works.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

"playing with the limiter" by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 06:36:48 AM EST
Heh - there's one dial on it, so limited playing opportunities for playing.  The more you turn the dial down, the louder your mix gets.

It's fun to see how your mix would sound at "commercial" levels, but it does destroy the dynamics somewhat in order to get it there.

How did they do it in the '80s then? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 04:24:45 AM EST
OH NOES, THAT WAS NOT AN INVITATION FOR AMIGA FANS TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I had the Batman pack by DullTrev (4.00 / 3) #5 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 04:56:05 AM EST

What about you?

DFJ?
With £100,000 worth of analog gear by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 05:25:51 AM EST
And years of experience cutting tape to fit.

I think I prefer my way.

Shome Mishtake Shirely? by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 08:25:21 AM EST
Innit Analogue?

Not in the 80s by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 08:29:46 AM EST
They were still on analog gear back then.

I believe by komet (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 01:18:23 PM EST
the Goodthrust was slapping you with his massive US-vs.-British-Spelling cock right there.

There were some digital samplers in the 80s and digital tape recordings started in the mid-70s, though of course not multitrack.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Yeah, I was playing along by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 01:33:59 PM EST
But, more importantly: Hole paper tape reader

Now THAT is a spec I need in my "studio".

Gear Acquisition | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback