Print Story Buses, Trains and Shoe Leather
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 10:06:36 AM EST) Photostory, photo, transport, London (all tags)
London transport with TheophileEscargot.

Neither the Central Line and the North London line were not running this weekend, which is annoying as they're the two lines I rely on from home. So, took a few photos of my journey into town.

Acton High Street. Lovely: a rubbish dump at the bus stop.
Modern life is rubbish

266 bus. Tricky etiquette question on the bus: I like the panoramic view from the front seats, but the left side is taken top deck was otherwise empty. Could take the right, but safest to sit back.
On the buses

Willesden junction. Bakerloo line.
Up the junction

Oxford Circus: change for Central Line.
At the circus

Saint Paul's: unobtrusive.
Beyond thunderdome

Millennium Bridge to Tate Modern.
I had not thought death had undone so many

Coffee on the balcony.
Mmmmmm

Couple of views from the balcony.
Blackfriars Bridge

Wobbly Bridge

Back to St. Paul's and West on the Central Line to Tottenham Court Road. Looked in some bookshops, bought a guidebook to Ireland, looked in some gadgety shops on Tottenham Court Road for mobile phone keyboards.

Decided to get the number 7 bus straight back. Quicker than the 266 and the Bakerloo line
In the name of love

It goes along Oxford Street and straight back to Acton.
Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever

Pedestrian bridge over the Westway
A40

Looking East.
Wiv a ladder and some glasses, you could see the `ackney Marshes, if it wasn`t for the `ouses inbetween

Shortcut through the churchyard.
Grey elegy

Home.
It`s not much of a place

< I thought my weekend was too boring for a diary | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Buses, Trains and Shoe Leather | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A shame about your camera malfunctioning by georgeha (4.00 / 7) #1 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 10:20:04 AM EST
there's some blue spots in the clouds on the later pictures.

speaking of that by MM (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 10:41:52 AM EST
at lunch today I saw some small clouds, and I was all like, "like, that's hella crazy!"

It's almost one in Cali by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #4 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 10:50:44 AM EST
shouldn't your boss pop his head in your cube and tell you to take the rest of the day off, since the surf is up?

naw by MM (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 11:05:57 AM EST
although people certainly roll in later than they do on the east coast.

company lore says in the mid to late 80's by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 11:14:18 AM EST
a lot of development on $80s_product was transferred from the West Coast division to the East Coast division, since the East Coasters were more productive.

You crazy east-coasters by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 01:17:06 PM EST
Everyone knows the best surf is in the morning.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Mornington Crescent! by joh3n (4.00 / 4) #2 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 10:23:04 AM EST
-nt-

----
I am a crime against humanity
-theantix

You live in a Monastery???? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 12:09:59 PM EST
Did you take these with your camera or a phone?

I've thought about doing a photo-diary (yours is very nice by the bye) but all I have is this vintage digital camera that's about as big as a buick and as such I would feel dorky hauling it around and taking pictures of stupid stuff. I really need to get a new camera that fits in my pocket I guess.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Deep down, you know by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 12:29:49 PM EST
...you should have paid a few dollars more for a mobile phone with a camera.

I took these with my Nokia N80 phone camera. Has a fairly crappy lens though, so looks pretty blurry unless you shrink it.

Well by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jul 11, 2006 at 04:10:20 AM EST
Even if I had purchased a camera phone I would still need to purchase a newer/better camera, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

That said, when I upgrade this phone I'll likely get one with a camera. Course that'll probably be 10 years from now and they won't offer any but camera phones.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

In Boston by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 02:51:31 PM EST
you could be arrested for taking those pictures.

The MBTA
Anti-photo policy is “insulting and naïve”
Not to give the terrorists any ideas, but if they wanted to blow up, say, the State House, or City Hall, they’d probably take photos to help them plot out the logistics. Somehow, though, it wouldn’t occur to anyone this side of former East Germany to arrest anyone spotted taking pictures of publicly accessible government property. There are certain things you just can’t stop in a free society.

Then there’s the MBTA. Granted, public-transportation systems are unusually vulnerable to attack — consider what happened in Madrid and London. But according to a letter to the T written by John Reinstein, legal director of the ACLU of Massachusetts, and Jonathan Albano, a prominent First Amendment lawyer, amateur photographers have been stopped from taking pictures of vehicles and facilities even when they are in full view of the public.

“The practice is inconsistently employed, does nothing to address surreptitious or long distance photographs of the same sites, and restricts the rights of law-abiding persons,” Albano and Reinstein wrote, arguing that the MBTA is violating both the First Amendment and the state constitution. Currently there is no written policy, leaving T personnel free to make up their own rules. Photographers may also apply for one-month permits, which, of course, the MBTA is free to reject.

This is hardly surprising, given the agency’s long-time problems with freedom of expression. Last year the T was awarded a Dishonorable Mention for insisting that it would continue to ban advertisements urging the decriminalization of marijuana, even after a federal appeals court ruled that the agency had engaged in “viewpoint discrimination.” In September, the T ordered 220 ads promoting Sex and the City reruns removed.

Reinstein and Albano’s blow for freedom was immediately met with resistance. MBTA general manager Daniel Grabauskas called the lawyers’ alleged lack of security concerns “insulting and naive.” Grabauskas ought to get himself over to Flickr.com and search for “MBTA,” where he’ll find more than 1200 images of trains, buses, stations, and the like. In fact, it’s he who’s being naive — not to mention insulting to the public.

Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Front seat etiquette by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 11:59:19 PM EST
I've been known to kick children to the floor to get to the front seat.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Buses, Trains and Shoe Leather | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback