Print Story Ouch
Family
By anonimouse (Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 01:58:47 AM EST) diy, ouch (all tags)
anonimouse climbed up from the hall
anonimouse had a great fall
and all the kings horses and all the kings men
couldn't put anonimouse together again.

So at the weekend, I decided to apply some more finishing touches to the bathroom, right, and I wanted to go up into the attic so I could rewire the new bathroom light, OK? But I didn't have a stepladder, so I stood on top of the Newel Post at the top of the stairs and levered myself up into the loft, you see? Didn't think a fat 42 year old bastard could do that, right? Proved you wrong see?

Then I did my electrician thingy and made a fww holes in the ceiling to put the new wires through, and it was time to come down' 'kay? So I lowered my legs out of the hole and tried a graceful descent to the floor, you see? 'cept the frigging descent wasn't so graceful and I have abrasions over my stomach and arms.

Ouch.

Still, the light looks very pretty....

BTW. When is someone going to correct the spelling of separate (by the tags input field) on the story submit page?

< Shed no tears | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ouch | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Heh. I thought you were going to say by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 02:12:56 AM EST
You went through the ceiling.

Knock, Knock.
Cunningly avoided by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 02:18:51 AM EST
although my loft isn't really high enopugh to merit it, I put a floor in it to avoid those sort of antics.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Cunning indeed. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 02:40:12 AM EST
Unfortunately, our crawlspace is a lattice work of framing studs instead of the more traditional roofing beams.

Moving around in there is a bit like working inside Sierpinski's Triangle.

Knock, Knock.

No standing room by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 05:17:58 AM EST
The pitch of the roof is quite low, at max its about  4', however I found I went up there so much that I went a little over the top and installed flooring, lighting, power sockets, tv ampifier and distribution points, cat5 connections to all rooms, 10/100 switch, wireless access point...

...all those little essentials that an attic can't be without!

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I almost did that once by Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 04:15:58 AM EST
I was 15 or so, and the ceiling in my parents' bedroom was beginning to sag a little. My dad poked his head up in the loft above it, and saw that the builders we'd had in to do work on the roof a couple of years previously had left a shit-load of rubble and assorted crap up there.

Now my dad is a bit on the large side. He's recently started losing a lot of weight (under doctor's orders), but even now he's by no means the correct weight and then he was even bigger. So, it fell to me to clamber up in to the loft and clear the crap up.

Taking great pains to only rest on the ceiling beams, I started gathering it all up and passing it down to my father. All was going well until towards the end, just as I happened to glance down at the ceiling below me, it dropped away onto the bed. I didn't touch it; it must've been either my weight on the beams, or the disturbance caused by my moving around. Either way, I was left suspended above the drop, staring down at the rubble- and ceiling-strewn bed.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

I went all the way through by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 04:39:47 AM EST
at about the same age - my dad had laid down plywood planks as temporary flooring, but the one bit didn't end on a beam, so I stepped on the wrong spot and it flipped up and dropped my leg through.

My dad was quite pissed.

Knock, Knock.

I was lucky by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 05:04:34 AM EST
My parents clearly weren't too happy about having to have the ceiling replaced, but (apparently) didn't blame me in the slightest. I think they were more relieved that it happened then, rather than during the night.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Duur by nebbish (4.00 / 3) #2 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 02:17:42 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

BEST COMMENT by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 05:25:14 AM EST