Print Story Coincidences
A footie coincidences sparks a Grateful day.

A Munchkin's coincidence.

Plus, missing cat, the family meeting, respect for MC Lars and annoyance for Imogene Heap, what to scan for magnetic sheets and less.

Poll: Turning point of American Revolutionary War?

Yes that's right, honest to goodness footie content in a Georgeha diary. But first, frequent readers my recall that I was dimissive of MC Lars, based upon his song "Hot topic is not punk rock". Now that's I've listened several times to his tune "Download this song" I have to admit he can really craft a pop song.

Imogen Heap, on the other hand, has been played to death on WBER. For a while, every time I started the car I heard "Hide and Seek" and it's getting boring and grating. Please stop.

Anyhow, the Rochester Rhino's (our local soccer/footie) team just completed their dedicated stadium. An old friend of mine ( we met on rec.music.gdead) was coming to Rochester for the inaugaral game because his brother was the ref. Sunday morning, after his brother got safely on the plane (you know how those soccer/footie hooligans are), we went out to breakfast at the local greasy spoon, before he began his long drive back to Boston (he's a sailboat salesman there).

In another odd coincidence, we drove around the stadium earlier that day, as the local animal services building is  a block from there (in the shadow of big yellow) as our new cat has been missing since May 31st. It's a small stadium, and has a way to go before it becomes world class. Specifically it needs a barbed wire enclosed poured concrete pen with no lavatory facilities, for the UKians in the crowd, and a deep punji stake filled trench around the field, for the South Americans. But it's the nicest soccer/footie stadium I've even seen.

In what is most likely not a coincidence, I have many bug bites on my leg. Did I mention we also went to the suburban animal shelter?

Anyhow, Mrs. Ha had expressed interest in listening to the Dead, since we hadn't listened to any in quite some time, so I grabbed my prepacked CD holder and we went off to Buffalo for family meeting while listening to the obligatory Truckin'. Thankfully, the meeting went very well, we're all in agreement as to what must be done, though it's a shame the errant ice floes have mostly melted. We also figured out which weekends Mrs. Ha will be going to Buffalo to care for MIL, so I can schedule Band of Brother's watching and board wargaming, but I have more to say on that later.

So, we next went to my sister's, to pick up nine year old's favorite shoes, which she loves so much she left them there a few weeks ago. Sister and partner told me they just played a real fun game, called Munchkins! I told sister we have to play Space Munchkins together. This was another coincidence that Mrs. Ha did not appreciate until I transformed it into the very special yarn co-ordinate system.

On the way home, Mrs. Ha picked a nice Dicks Pick that started with a real cool Scarlet-Fire. I suppose somewhere in there I felt bad for Vince, but I didn't care much for the Dead after 92.

In other gaming news, I have to restart Battle of Moscow, since I didn't realize you could optionally advance after combat, which speeds up the game considerably. I'm going to print the counters on magnetic "paper" (with my inkjeft, for obvious reasons I won't run a magnetic sheet through $product) so I can play at work, on the side of my file cabinet. I need to find some other counters to add to the sheet before printing, so I don't waste it. I figure Ogre/GEv would take up half a sheet, and then maybe the counters from DemonLord ( I already have some magnet Squad Leader counters, but it might be too much for work). Of course, if anyone wants to suggest a cool wargame that can be freely downloaded and played on a sheet of A4/Letter, please do.

Nine year old is studying the Revolutionary War, aka Those Pesky Colonists are Hard to Beat when the Frogs Interfere War to you UKians. Luckily, I was able to buy a game of my childhood, Skirmish, on ebay, which is a fair simulation of the war, given that it comes from Milton Bradley. I think I shall play it with her. Anyhow, while browsing boardgamegeek, there's quite a bit of controversy over the turning point of the war, with some saying Bunker Hill, some saying Saratoga. What do you think?

< !5318008 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Coincidences | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Speaking of Grateful by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:45:02 AM EST
Did you hear the last living keyboard play for The Dead bought the farm over the weekend?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Tom Constanten is dead! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:49:34 AM EST
Whoa, that's a real shocker, and on top of Vince dying, too (which I mentioned in para 8).

Ah.. missed it by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:15:53 AM EST
All I know is the radio guy was saying he was the last full-time keyboard player alive, at least right up until he offed himself.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Bruce Hornsby ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:32:38 AM EST
Boy, local paper will have a field day with that.

Werd by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:46:46 AM EST
Actually this is more Dead trivia than we need, but Bruce was never a full-time member of the band. I think he toured with them for one summer in between deaths of some other keyboard guys, but he was never a full fledged member as I understand it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

9 yr old might like ``my brother Sam is dead.'' by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:46:32 AM EST
The reading level may be a bit too high and the intensity may also not be appropriate in your judgment, so I'd recommend you reading it first. But it's a nice little work of historical fiction that does a good job of capturing the feel of the lives of everyday people caught up in the events of the US Revolutionary War.

Cicero, The Republic
ice floes by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:48:36 AM EST
were the exiles placed there voluntarily ? Something my mom keeps claiming she'll do if she gets to be infirm.

I dunno, but I was reading a Reader's Digest by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:52:55 AM EST
published book on Native Americans, who have an oral history about an aged Inuit who's knees were too sore and bleeding to continue to the seal hunting ground. She asked her son to make her a small igloo, and seal her in it with a little dried fish, whereupon the rest continued onto the seal hunting grounds.

munchkin recommendation. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:11:13 AM EST
Regular munchkin takes too long, from large monsters and lots of buffs, where space munchkin is too easy, with too many space plants to kill. Played together, however, seems to be the best combo to me.

Munchkin Fu also longish by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 03:24:15 PM EST
Doubling up the begining hands really speeds it up. Instead of dealing 2 cards from each deck deal 4 when starting game or coming back after death.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
WIPO - Battle of Kings Mountain by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:30:13 AM EST
Teddy Roosevelt said that the now somewhat obscure Battle of Kings Mountain was the turning point of the war.

Aha, very interesting by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:53:17 AM EST
I can see his point, though, it kept the south in the fight and removed part of Cornwallis' army.

imogen heap by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 09:00:31 AM EST
not da bomb.
History Channel by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 09:13:20 AM EST
FYI, the History channel is doing a 13 part documentary on the Revolution right now. (First episode was last night (June-4th).

Point her at that so she doesn't need to pick up any pesky books. (Or in addition to pesky books).

local animal services building by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 04:32:38 AM EST
in the shadow of Big Yellow... That's on Verona St, right?  I got my cat there 6 years ago, was only $25.

That would be Verona st, and it's a pain by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 04:39:00 AM EST
navigating around there with all the one way streets.

Man I love the French. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 07:39:57 AM EST
NT

Blizzard of Death '06
They love the French too. n/t by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 10:07:22 AM EST

Coincidences | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback