Print Story My heart is fulfilled and it will be broken
By bob6 (Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 12:17:30 AM EST) (all tags)
Brazil vs Ghana
France vs Spain

Brazil vs Ghana

Outcome: Brazil wins 2-0
Overlall appreciation: boring

Yhey won. So what? They didn't make any effort. The main problem was that Ghana players were too much fans of Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. In other words the yellow shirt impressed them.
The first goal was scored by Ronaldo and it was beautiful. He dribbled past the keeper with a typical leg movement. The second was a lousy Adriano knee shot from a Cafu cross, the judge granted the goal but Adriano was clearly offside. The third goal was scored by Ze Roberto, a middle-defender (wtf?), on a mistake from the Ghanean keeper.
Either Parreira is totally engineering the team so the players stand rested for the last game(s). Either they need a bit more of teamplay. The reaction after Japan's goal makes me hope that Brazil hasn't showed it's sharpest teeth. And they will need it for the next game...

Judging was correct though a bit harsh.

France vs Spain

Outcome: France wins 3-1
Overall appreciation: best Bleus performance so far

The Spanish press and manager had very nasty and braggart pre-game words, placing France as the underdog. A position that usually suits very well French athletes (any sports).
The game was intense (if one was French or Spanish) especially since the referee granted a deserved penalty kick for the Spaniards: 0-1. The equaliser came in the best possible ways: a brilliant pass from Viera to the current fetish French attacker Ribéry. The former was very criticized for his uselessness (behind Zidane) and the latter lacked the cold blood required to finalize goals. The goal was very nice, a bit similar to Ronaldo's against Ghana, and it gave the confidence both Ribéry and the whole team needed.
Since then the game was fast paced and the Spanish team pressed a lot but I found they lacked a bit of craft in the finishing. Viera scored a lousy goal, but a goal nevertheless. In the last minutes we all feared a Spanish equalizer and they were desperate for it. Zidane: "Me, retire? No, I will play the whole game. Oh, I forgot, I will punish you boasting Iberians!". His last minute goal was a burst of pure individual genius. I think he was really pissed at Aragones.

Judging was very good, for once. The referee dealt only three yellows (iirc) but was able to impose his authority. The only mistake was a foul on Henry, whereas he simulated (btw he didn't shine at this game).

So, saturday night's going to be a Brazil-France quarter... That's always a dilemna for me but I'll support Brazil as I did in 86 and 98. After then I'll support whoever passes, hopefully against England ;).
< So deliciously low. So horribly dirty. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
My heart is fulfilled and it will be broken | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
what? by martingale (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 12:32:06 AM EST
You didn't support Brazil in 2002? Do you alternate on each world cup? Perhaps it might be worth shifting one world cup to the right?

Yes, I have to agree about the interestingitude of the coming game. All I can say is "Messieurs les brésiliens, tirez les premiers!"
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$

2002 by bob6 (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 01:08:17 AM EST
France and Brazil didn't met, much to Brazilians disappointment. So I supported Brazil from the beginning to the end of the cup without état d'âmes.

Cheers.
just kidding [n/t] by martingale (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 01:10:49 AM EST
mumble*mumble*Aslongassomebodybeatsthecockybrits*mumble
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
The foul on Henry by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 12:37:16 AM EST
I don't think that he made a mistake awarding the foul - arguably he should have given Henry a card for his antics, but the free kick deserved to go to France irrespective of what happened off the ball.

Indeed by bob6 (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 01:09:21 AM EST
but I have to build a facade of balanced report; not to show to much bias.

Cheers.
France by TPD (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 01:18:19 AM EST
played pretty well, it was certainly a deserved win against Spain, Who seemed shocked epecting the france that had turned up to all the other game - (Hopefully Portugal will make the same mistake though I doubt it).

Again Henry and Zidane still don't seem to be squeezable into the same team without losing something. Again Henry seemed to be relagated to a "leg it and beat the offside trap" man, a position where even the best can seem pretty anonimous in the game if it's not happening for them, but it seemed to work OK for the team as a whole.

Brazil continue to be comfortable hopefully the France game will force the best out of them which ever way the result goes. Neither is a match for England ;) (goes back to own private dream world)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

2-0? by motty (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 03:56:50 AM EST
Did you disallow the second Brazil goal, then? Obviously, there's an argument for it, Adriano having been offside, but as I recall, the referee didn't agree with you. Or me. Or anyone else in the world. And Adriano's goal appears to stand.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T