Print Story Random Muso Argument
By Dr Thrustgood (Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 04:31:36 PM EST) You are all cunts (all tags)
Seriously dude, it is prog.

Poll: Prog?

Brian Wilson. Pre depression/madness. Releases Pet Sounds.

"God Only Knows"

Grown men shed tears. The lyrics, instrumentation,  harmonics, you name it: the song is a classic.

What happens? Halfway through the song, we head into pre-progressive rock teritory. Theme, minor diversion, and back to the main theme. Robert Fripp takes note; progressive rock is born.

Now, let's take the housewive's favrouite: Burt Bacharach, "South American Getaway".

The song has instant appeal: rather than write yet another bastard song based around clever instrument arrangment, we have voices, minimal instrumentation and no lyrics.

It's just as much a precurser to prog as Brian Wilson, but because Bacharach is the composer, he is deprived due recognition deserved.

For shame!

< Parkdale sketch #5 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Random Muso Argument | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My favorite Bacharach by calla (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 05:18:58 PM EST
is with Mr. Costello.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

I don't play baccara by martingale (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:23:26 PM EST
At least not until I have been served a martini. Shhhaken, not' shhhturred.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Hrm. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 03:38:15 AM EST
I've seen mention of that Bachrach tune, but I've never heard it.  Fripp et al have always claimed to find influence in many places, but would never cop to Bachrach, I don't think.  Not cool enough.

But hell, if the Crimson and Yes that I dig so much was influenced by, I dunno, Tiny fucking Tim, I'd still be a big fan.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Bacharach, not cool enough? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jul 23, 2006 at 11:26:50 PM EST
You'll be saying that The Carpenters aren't cool next.

She Ain't Heavy, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 02:46:44 AM EST
She's My Sister....

Them Carpenters? Or just woodworkers in general?
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Paganini invented prog-rock by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 03, 2006 at 08:59:00 AM EST
The 10 minute cadenza. Wank.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods