Print Story Review: LilFlightTest's Noodle Thing
By toxicfur (Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 05:33:56 AM EST) recipes, RFC (all tags)
In my recent recipe diary, LilFlightTest offered her "Noodle Thing" as a "boring" but "still pretty tasty" Italian-ish dish.

We tried it Monday night, when I wasn't much in the mood to cook anything complicated. I used a combination of fennel sausage and hot Italian sausage, formed into balls and fried prior to adding to the penne. I used fresh mozzarella cheese and coarsely grated parmesan on top, and baked it for 20 minutes. Then, to brown the top a bit, I stuck it under the broiler for about 2 minutes (about 1 minute too long, it turns out).

This was a surprisingly tasty dish, especially considering that I just used Prego traditional pasta sauce and only added a bit of fennel seeds as seasoning. As ana pointed out, the appropriate serving utensil was a spoon instead of a spatula, and it reminded me of the baked spaghetti my mom made when I was a kid. It was also good the next day, reheated for lunch.

I rate this recipe an apple: not all that exciting, but certainly satisfying.

< "So why do you want to leave your job?" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Review: LilFlightTest's Noodle Thing | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
pasta sauce by theantix (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 05:44:56 AM EST
The other day I made a VERY simple pasta sauce from scratch, because most of my utensils and foods were packed away during our move.

A can of crushed tomatoes, and add tomatoe paste and salt to taste and desired thickness.  That's it.  And goddamn is that tasty.  It reminded me of the pasta sauces that I had in Italy, which actually tasted like tomatoes instead of the processed sauces we normally serve in North America.

Put that on cheese tortellini and served with a breast of chicken with melted mozza on top.  Damn fine, simple meal.

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.

oh by theantix (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 06:03:38 AM EST
Also I added onions and garlic with the chicken, I suppose that does matter quite a bit.

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.
only hitler by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:30:33 AM EST
would have pasta sauce without garlic and onion.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

call me Hitler then ( or s/and/or) by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:34:06 AM EST
there is no onion in my pesto sauce.

DAMN PEDANTS by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:36:01 AM EST
You're just lucky by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:39:14 AM EST
I never made Alfredo sauce from scratch.

Don't do it by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 04:37:18 PM EST
Once you find out how bad it is for you, you'll never be able to eat it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Pasta by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 10:08:17 AM EST
One of our favorite things to do is the combine fresh tomatoes, olive oil and parmesan and put that on pasta.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
note to self... by ana (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 10:09:18 AM EST
start some tomatoes in flower pots early next spring in the basement under the grow lights.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

My favorites by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 10:10:03 AM EST
Are the little yellow pear tomatoes.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The previous owner by ana (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 10:13:08 AM EST
of my last house in Wisconsin was a guy who experimented with breeding tomatoes. He had a little greenhouse built on the back (south side) of the garage. And for years after I moved in, exotic tomatoes came up volunteer in the garden.

And yeah, the little yellow pear-shaped ones are very nice.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

LFT has a noodle thing? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:46:26 AM EST
Yikes.  I thought she was an innie and not an outie.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
There are some questions... by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:52:34 AM EST
that I just don't want the answers to. ;->
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
But greyrat does. by ambrosen (3.66 / 3) #15 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:39:53 AM EST

... by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 06:12:30 PM EST

--top hat--
I don't know by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:54:45 AM EST
Seems like it might be kinda high in saturated fats.

Maybe if you substitute some kinda soy-based "meat" for the sausage, and use skim-milk-mozzarella "cheese" you might be okay.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Well, you have a point. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:09:41 AM EST
But not all of us are knocking at death's door. In fact, my cholesterol and such are all quite normal.

That said, I do think a vegetarian version of this dish could be quite tasty. Or even substituting chicken sausage for the pork. In fact, the beauty of this recipe is that the number of variations on its overall theme is endless.

I will try that dish sometime by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:00:13 AM EST
Sounds yummy.
____
It definitely was. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:07:15 AM EST
I would certainly recommend it.
Your signature by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:11:54 AM EST
I just realized that "lean" could refer to several things here, and I wanted to know which one:
  1. Leaning backwards in a chair, or leaning to one side while standing.
  2. Reducing the amount of fuel in your air/fuel mixture in an aircraft.
  3. Using codeine-based cough syrup recreationally (although I guess that's just a special case of #1).

The context: by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:20:57 AM EST
In a relatively recent Christopher Robin was Murdered diary, the good CRwM described how the infamous Robin walks: leaning forward until she's nearly falling over, and then taking short shuffling steps to attempt to outrun gravity. I can't seem to find the original diary just now, but I snagged my sig from that description.
glad you liked it by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 11:23:03 AM EST
simple to make, but still delicious. you can add whatever meat/not meat you want, or not, and any flavor of sauce (i've not yet tried alfredo, but i think it'd be good) and whatever cheese. it's like cheater's lasagne.
---------