Print Story Tanfastic MFunkadelictotheC - The Latest!
Music
By Dr Thrustgood (Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 10:45:58 AM EST) MFC, fun lovin cowwqas. (all tags)
Many belated apologies for the 5 hour lateness in closing of entries, sadly life got in the way.

Poll: Who wins?

Our entries are:

Cam - I Love You

Yicky Yacky - The Summer Anoint Ye Too

Dr Thurstgood - Summer Russian

TPD's 6th MFC Entry

Motty - Bossa Nono 1454

The Fool - The Whiteness of the Whale

Since we only have six entries, please try and limit your voting to your top two. Ta.

Many thanks to all who entered, and props again to 256 for the bandwidth.

Huzzah!

< Movie Review - Dark Blue World | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Tanfastic MFunkadelictotheC - The Latest! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
For the record, my voting by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 10:57:24 AM EST
Motty
It's happy, it's silly, and it's happy.

The Fool
Mouth organ or acordian or whateveritis always get the two bloody things confused should be used far more than they  are at present. So there.

For the record... by The Fool (4.00 / 4) #2 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 11:00:33 AM EST
it's two accordions and a clarinet.

You slayed they might be giants by cam (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 05:06:58 PM EST
These by ni (4.00 / 3) #3 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 11:05:37 AM EST
are all incredibly good. I'm consistently surprised by how reliably good MFC entries are. I have no idea how I'll vote. I'm thinking The Fool will get a vote for Moby Dick value alone, though.

my experience is that people will do amazingly stupid things in conjunction with their crotches -- persimmon
MFC idea by ni (4.00 / 5) #4 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 11:26:51 AM EST
Yicky Yacky's entry gave me an idea for what I think would make for a great MFC theme: The Great American Songbook Cover MFC. Whoever does the next one should give it serious consideration.

Someone would have to do Someone To Watch Over Me. And they'd have to do it as a punk song.

My god. This must happen.

I was thinking about by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 09:02:58 AM EST
a reimagining of your [favorite|most annoying] commercial jingle.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
I liked... by motty (4.00 / 3) #5 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 04:34:16 PM EST
Cam's and The Fool's best.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Rundown by cam (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 05:13:24 PM EST
Love the drum sound in thrusty's. The Fool's is a great song. Motty is skillful as ever. Yicky yacky's ending is great, another brilliant electronica composition. I like the rolling electronic bass sound.

Have to give a shout out to TPD's. I like this more than his previous mfc entry. FUZZ POP!

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Story and poll should be front page by TPD (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 12:30:34 AM EST
Mini reviews:

Cam - one of the biggest issues with Cam is the huge variation in quality of his compositions as they seem to range from Awesome to supermegatasticly AWESOME!!!! This was the later - Great stuff and probably my top pick.

Yicky Yacky - yet again proving he's not only the world's greatest authority on all things football but also quite possibly the world's finest music producer... I loved the first ~1:30 with the summertime theme the next minute or so didn't really hold my quite attention so well (especially on repeat listens), but it finishes in style, and gets my second vote.

The good Doc - "Your breath smells of cabbages!" GREAT lyrics great tune what else is there? Oh yeah the evidence that if guitar playing is not yet quite in his fingers, it's definitely in his soul - a great solo.

TPD - Steaming pile of doo doo.

Motty - great tune and really great playing but whoosh about your head effect really made me feel ill.

The fool - Excellent, somehow after listening to this I felt 90% happier than before listening. Probably would have got the vote had I been allowed 3, but ideally I'd have liked to have voted for all bar my own as they are great!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Re: poll... by ana (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 03:19:23 AM EST
I'm tempted, but given that [a] I royally screwed up the poll in WFC2 trying to front-page it, and [b] some sport or other has recently claimed the front-page poll spot, I'll leave it to somebody else's judgement and skillz.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Oh by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 06:07:19 AM EST
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

etc.

OK, done. by ana (4.00 / 2) #16 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 06:40:56 AM EST
If you'd like to rescue the former frontpage poll (something about a planetary beer stein, I think...), you could link to it here.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

I voted for ALL of them. Muahaha. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 02:01:46 AM EST

Thrusty's sounds vaguely disturbing, but there's no denying that it sounds good.

Cam's is yet more output from the SHMRB stable, but the world cannot possibly have enough SHMRB.

While TPD got a number of "fix the production"-type comments when he first posted it, I disagree. What? "Fix the production" so it sounds like everything else? Bollocks. It's a real grower as it is, it sounds different and it's got a great solo.

As mentioned before, Motty should be given a contract by Nintendo. "Drunk Mario" is a game which needs to be made.

The Fool's piece is over-compressed, too loud and too short, Apart from that, it's fucking awesome.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
My two choices by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 02:52:23 AM EST
TPD - Great riff, and I like the vocal melody and rhythm.  For future reference however:
  1. Take the motorcycle helmet off before doing the vocal take.
  2. Lead vocals are panned dead centre.  End of.
Cam - There were two other entries fighting for this place, but Cam's was the only one with the breathless chorus.

motorcycle helmet by TPD (4.00 / 3) #11 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 02:59:44 AM EST
Actually the lead vocals were recorded by singing into one side of pair of (broken) headphones pluged into the input of my guitar effects thingy/USB audio input.

I think that's also how most of the major recording studios do it too.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

I plug the microphone into the guitar amp by cam (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 03:08:55 AM EST
and then turn the guitar amp all the way up! The Abbey Road studio's do it this way for certain, the ghost of John Lennon told me so.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Heh by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 03:11:33 AM EST
Well, I guess I'll let you off then.

Queequeg! by Scrymarch (4.00 / 3) #17 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 01:26:56 AM EST
Queequeg!

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

they were all *awesome* by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Jul 02, 2006 at 09:09:19 PM EST
so on final consideration, I put in only one vote, that being the one that I just can't hear enough of.  Oh, don't get me wrong, each of them had their own charms; TPD's entry, for example, is still steadily growing on me with it's fuzzy/gritty/vocals-through-broken-headphones coolness.  All of them stand tall and proud, but only one of them has me shouting, well, you know . . .

Queequeg!