Print Story Blobby blobby blobby
By TheophileEscargot (Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 11:46:25 PM EST) Reading, Paris, Me, OBLF, MLP (all tags)
Paris Notes. Reading. Web. OBLF.

MultiPoll: continue Operation Become Less Fat?

Londoner in Paris Day 3
Only had half a day in Paris on the last day. Went on a open-top tourist bus tour. They're usually a pretty good way to see a city with little time, but didn't really seem worthwhile in Paris. One operator (the red one) just covered a route you could walk in an hour or so, and I'd already done so. The other (yellow and green) has three different routes which altogether cover a fairly large area, but the buses aren't too frequent and you have to change. So, wouldn't recommend it: you're better off just using Le Metro.

Went up to Montmatre which is on a hill overlooking the city: gives you a different view to the Eiffel tower and the Pompidou centre. Went into the Basilique de Sacre Couer: light and airy 19th century church, rather nice.

Had another quick wander round the Louvre, then back to Gare du Nord for the train home.

What I'm Reading
Finished Infernal Devices, volume 3 in the moving cities kidult series by Philip Reeve. Pretty good, with some witty touches, especially in the decadent resort-city of Brighton (random comment at a party: "All the best literature is being written for the under-fives these days"). Quite a bit darker and grimmer than the others though I thought, with sympathetic characters turning unsympathetic, and bad things happening to good people.

Also the ending leaves a lot unresolved till the next volume. Not sure whether to wait for the paperback: it's only £2.58 cheaper than the hardback which is already out, and it isn't published till February.

Web
Stolen from Metafilter: Comparison of the US and Confederate constitutions.

BBC to animate two old Dr Who episodes where soundtrack survived but video was wiped. (preview) Also two sample videos from a project to update the special effects of Star Trek original series episodes.

You've probably heard already, but it looks like Futurama actually is returning.

Operation Become Less Fat?
CW: 11st 7 (or 161 lbs or 73 kg)
SW: 14st 4 (or 200 lbs or 91kg)
Loss: 39 pounds
Weeks: 29
Height: 5'10'' (or 178cm)
Loss per week: 1.3 pounds

No weight loss this week: getting pretty fed up with it and ate quite a lot. Also, eleven and a half stone is about the point that my weight loss petered out last time. So, strongly tempted to change to Operation Don't Get Fatter.

On the other hand, still have a bit of a pot belly and fairly significant love handles, and my old smallest T-shirt is still too tight. Plus I think from the calibration that these scales are under-reading my real weight by a certain amount: anywhere from 4 to 10 pounds.

For the not-easily-grossed-out, have put a photo here.

Saturday 17 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 tea, 2 toast, 2 eggs, 1 tomato, small piece cheese
Lunch: 2 slices toast, corned beef
Supper: Brown rice, meatballs
Snacks: Mango
Booze:
Exercise: 5BX Chart 4 Level A+. Dumb-bells: light 6.5kg 3x10, medium 10kg 3x10, heavy 14kg 3x10. 3.5 miles walking

Sunday 18 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 tea. 2 slices toast, beef broth.
Lunch: 400g potatoes, 2 "Healthy Eating" quarter pound beefburgers (270kcal, 39g protein), carrots, mangetout peas. Healthy Eating choc overload.
Supper: 3 slices bread, ham, mini-babybel, tomato.
Snacks: Cornetto
Booze: 1 beer, 1 whisky

Monday 19 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 coffee
Brunch: Sausage and bacon roll
Lunch: Small carrot soup
Supper: Pasta, meatballs, 35g cheese. Cornetto
Snacks: 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 slice ham
Booze: 3 whisky,
Exercise: 5BX Chart 4 Level A+. 1.75 miles walking. Dumb-bells: light 6.5kg 3x10, medium 10kg 3x10, heavy 14kg 3x10.

Tuesday 20 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 coffee, coco pops with skimmed milk
Lunch: Chicken wrap
Supper: M&S "Count on Us" Haddock Mornay (340kcal, 55.2g protein), carrots, mangetout peas. Mars Light.
Booze: 1 beer, 1 whisky
Exercise: 5BX Chart 4 Level A+. 1.75 miles walking

Wednesday 21 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 coffee, bread, cheese
Brunch: Chicken salad sandwich
Lunch: Chicken panini
Supper: Beef stew, bread
Booze: 2 whisky
Snacks: apple, orange

Thursday 22 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 tea, 2 toast, 2 slices pastrami, piece cheese
Lunch: Smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel
Supper: Bread, chunky chilli soup, 35g cheese
Snacks: 2 bananas, Golden Lights crisps
Booze: 1 beer, 2 whisky
Exercise: 5BX Chart 4 Level A+. 3.5 miles walking

Friday 23 June 2006
Breakfast: 2 coffee, bread, ham, 2 tomatoes
Brunch: Chicken wrap
Lunch: Sausage and mashed potato
Supper: Bread, ham, 2 tomatoes, Healthy Eating chicken soup. WW choc and vanilla dessert.
Second supper: toast, ham, tomato
Booze: 1 beer, 3 glasses wine
Exercise: 5BX Chart 4 Level A+. 3.5 miles walking

< I AM COMING BACK AND I AM MILLIONS | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Blobby blobby blobby | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
forgot to recommend by martingale (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 01:17:28 AM EST
Did you go to the Panthénon? Next time you've a day free, just hop on a train and go visit it. A lot of interesting dead people. It also has Foucault's pendulum, but I think if you're a fan of Ecco's, you want to visit the musée des arts et métiers.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Missed that one by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 01:25:18 AM EST
Will keep an eye out next time I'm there.
I suppose ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 02:44:30 AM EST

... it's not operation-lose-weight or operation-not-gain-weight but perhaps operation-add-some-muscle that might be of some use. Of course, I should take my own advice.

I had gotten myself down to about 210lbs, but since I moved Berlin I probably put on 20 ... ick. I should undertake my own operation-kill-the-fat-bastard.

Thanks for the constitution-comparison-link ... informative and entertaining.

The End.

Genetics says no by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 05:27:42 AM EST
I do dumb-bell exercises, but I don't think I really have the genes to get huge muscles. All the men on both sides of my family are either skinny or fat. Sometimes with a couple of years of chubbiness on the way from one to the other.

arms

"genes" by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 06:13:18 AM EST
You mean, the "genes" you inject that make you magically put on muscles?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
How much of your gut is bad posture? by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 05:24:29 AM EST
Look in the mirror and stand at attention. If your pot belly goes away work on standing up straight rather than losing more fat.

Another good test is to clench your stomach muscles as hard as you can and then see how much fat you can pinch. Your pot belly might just be relaxed muscle. If so, to get it to go away you need muscle tone more than you need to keep losing fat.

But, also, keep going on the weight loss program. I'm rooting for you.

Cicero, The Republic
"pot belly" by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 06:16:17 AM EST
A small amount of stomach fat is not unhealthy, despite what society says.

I was a bit annoyed about the metafilter trek discussion because few of them seemed to notice that the cgi was done over ten years ago.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I have to believe by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 09:28:57 AM EST
5'10 and 161 lbs certainly isn't remotely close to overweight. In fact in USian terms that would be considered thin. Heck, I'm 5'10" 170 lbs and many people consider me to be thin.

Personally if I were you I'd  work on adding muscle at this point. Specifically I'd work more with high weights and low reps. The more muscle you add the higher your metabolism will be which is really what you want as you won't need to watch what you eat so much.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I do do high weights and low reps by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 10:01:12 AM EST
Unfortunately, I'm a very hard gainer. Other people work out and get biceps like basketballs: I get muscles like tagliatelle...
Me too by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 10:48:37 AM EST
I'm a hard gainer as well but that doesn't mean that we can't add muscle, it just takes a little longer.

My problem in the past was trying to do too much (no pain no gain etc etc) which ended up with constant pulled muscles and tendinitis. Now I'm doing fairly well with more rest in between sets and less reps with more weight.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Butterfly flaps it wings. by Evil Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #11 Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 06:18:28 AM EST
By February 18th, OBLF had you down 18 pounds and you were at 13 stone. Which was 4 pounds lighter than what I was at the time. Around then, I decided it was time to actually do something about my own situation. It was cool to see someone else getting on with it and was good motivation to boot. I read the hacker's diet and decided that my coke reduction needed to be kicked into a full on project.

To date, I'm down 22 pounds, from 13st 4 to 11st 10. From a 36 inch waist to a 32. From having eczema to not having eczema. From being unable to wind down to being quite relaxed in general.

When I went to Spain with my mother around Easter, she started commenting on my reduced size. I told her about the running average thing in the hacker's diet and that an accurate digital scales was the way to go. Having seen the change in me, she was happy to give it a go. Then my brother moved back to Cork for the summer break from college. He was 20st 12.

In the last 3 weeks, my mother has lost 7 lbs and my brother has lost 14. And you can see the difference clearly. He has also walked so much in his summer job that he's worn a hole through the sole of a shoe that was new (if cheap) 3 weeks ago. All of this has been pretty much inspired by the changes they saw in me, and we're hoping that my sister will take note and be similarly inspired. Hell, even my older brother has started skipping, cycling and drinking less coke.

In summary, thanks in no small part to yourself, 5 people, only one of whom you've ever met, will likely live longer, healthier, happier lives. I need to buy you a pint sometime.

Seriously, by calla (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 07:38:17 AM EST
you look great. I'm all for saying you're done as long as you feel good about yourself.

Thanks for the pic.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Might be time to up the excercise a bit by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 12:57:18 AM EST
You don't look fat though. Trouble is, you have to continue to eat healthily anyway or it'll just come back.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Blobby blobby blobby | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback