Print Story Dear HuSi:
Food
By toxicfur (Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 04:21:47 PM EST) RFC, food, toxicfur is bored, plz help kthx (all tags)
I am bored with the food I cook. I've started cooking Indian, but that's a 2 or more hour investment, and I'm thinking of taking a class in Thai cooking, based on MillMan's suggestion. I hereby call for HuSi's first ever Recipe Fun Challenge.

Tonight, I put together a pork recipe that blixco once posted in the midst of a flame-war, and we are really looking forward to trying it out  tomorrow after it marinates overnight. What I want from you are more interesting recipes. Preferably without eggplant (ana dislikes), green peas or cooked carrots (toxicfur dislikes). Bonus points for stuff I can make in an hour. I tend to shy away from meat dishes containing fruit.

We have, as far as I know, no other dietary requirements. We have on hand a wide variety of spices and herbs, some fresh, a lot dried. We also happen to live in a place with great ethnic grocery stores, so we can get pretty much any ingredient we need.

I promise to try any recipe you post - within reason - and I'll post reviews as we try them. Because I'm a commie bastard, there will be no winners, but if we post a positive review, then you'll have the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that we have put your recipe into our regular menu rotation.

< drm feeds my family | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Dear HuSi: | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
my favorite dish in the world by 256 (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 05:13:27 PM EST
i eat it for dinner about five nights a week.

you need:
100 grams soba noodles (i like Wang brand, YMMV)
100 to 200 grams red cabbage
5 grams seasoned nori (seasoned with sesame oil and salt, NOT with sugar. if necessary, buy sushi nori and season yourself)
one chive stalk
one half roma tomato

cook noodles in heavily salted water until quite soft. rinse with very cold water. drain. rinse again.

chop tomato and stir into cold noodles.

place noodles and tomato in bowl.

chop cabbage and chives finely, add to bowl.

top with crushed nori.

season with soy sauce and sriracha to taste.

serve cold with side of gim ji.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

serves one by 256 (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 05:14:00 PM EST
multiply appropriately.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
This sounds excellent. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 05:16:21 PM EST
And easy. :-) Thank you.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
to save me cutting and pasting by fleece (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 05:52:49 PM EST
it's here:special fried rice

since i wrote that though, I now also add two cloves of finely chopped garlic, and I find it has a flavour-enhancing quality which means I can use less salt (maybe 1/4 teaspoon?).

trust me, it's delicious!

Sounds good. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 07:37:28 AM EST
Almost exactly like the fried rice I made on a regular basis. ;-) I haven't ever put ham or prawns in mine, though - I usually use tofu or chicken. Chicken more often now, since ana is somewhat skeptical about the tasty goodness that is fried tofu.
wait by theantix (4.00 / 2) #5 Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 06:30:45 PM EST
If you post a recipe during a flame war, does it have to be BBQ or is that just strongly recommended?

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.
Murgh Makhani (buttered chicken) by garlic (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 04:01:19 AM EST
Ingredients:
------------
1          medium chicken, cut into lots of bits
2          medium onions, also cut into lots of bits
4 oz       of unsalted butter
5-7 fl.oz  of yoghurt (I get middle eastern yogurt, but plain not vanilla yogurt should work too. )
5-7 oz    of tomato puree (again, use taste check)

1tsp    chili powder
1tsp    crushed garlic
1tsp    crushed ginger
1.5tsp  black cumin seeds
1.5tsp  coriander
1tsp    salt
2tsp    garam masala
3       or so green chilis
fresh coriander

Instructions:
-------------
Mix the spices and yoghurt up in a bucket and throw in the chicken parts and puree.  Leave this to one side.  In a thick bottomed pot, melt the butter and fry the onions until they are sort of translucent.  Pump up the heat, throw the yoghurt/puree/spice/chicken mix into the
seething oil and stir fry, stirring continuously in big loops, for 5 minutes or more.  Turn down the heat to about simmering temperature and add about 0.25 - 0.3 pint water.  Let this simmer/cook for about 30 minutes or until you have started biting the table with the wonderful smell coming from the pot.  Chop up the green chilis and coriander, and dunk them in.  Cook for a further 10 mins, then serve with basmati rice, naan and some sort of daal.

An Indian (ish) dish that doesn't take 2 hours.

Excellent. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 07:39:30 AM EST
And I already have on hand all of the ingredients to make this. I'll try it this week for sure.
silly question for you by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 07:33:53 AM EST
Is mixing spices from scratch that much better than curry paste out of a bottle?

subject smubject. by garlic (4.00 / 3) #26 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 07:41:32 AM EST
garam masala is a mix of other spices to begin with.

It's better, in that you have better control of the end flavor. Recipes are more of suggestions and ideas than hard and fast rules. It's worse in that if you don't cook Indian often, you may have a lot of spices taking up space.

I haven't had a curry paste, so I can't tell you on the differences in flavor using that instead. I imagine if you already know you like the flavor of the spices in it that it'll be a good substitute for the spices listed.

Oh, my. by ana (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 03:47:41 AM EST
We tried this last night, and boy was it nice. I gather toxicfur is planning a full review later. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

What got me through college by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 05:48:47 AM EST
Jalapeno Mac N Cheese:

Cook as per box
At the "add cheese powder step" add one mustard and jalapenos.

Serve with a cold Dos Equus.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Bonus tip: by Driusan (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 05:56:16 AM EST
Make sure none of the ingredients expired over a year ago.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Would it be ok... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 07:40:08 AM EST
to substitute Annie's mac&cheese?
Annie's ... by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 07:50:33 AM EST
that's the stuff. Our usual "lazy, not starving, but wanna eat something anyway" meal for some time was Annie's alfredo, with thin strips of smoked salmon. Later I discovered that my sister independently came up with the same thing, only with the regular cheese flavor and sliced ham. She used the microwave version because she has small kids + no time, so mine is superior.

You could have a whole Mac&Cheese Fun Challenge ...

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."

boring by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 06:43:53 AM EST
but this one is still pretty tasty. it has no name yet, we call it "noodle thing."

it's simple: take a ceramic baking pan of your choice (i use 8x8, but larger is fine) and fill it about 3/4 with uncooked penne noodles. this is the "measuring" step. then you cook the noodles until they're nearly done, but not quite. while they're boiling, slice/ball the sausage of your choice. because i'm spoiled, i use Johnsonville Irish Garlic, but any type of sausage or meat will be fine. if you nuke or pre-fry the meat, it gets done faster, but again, your call.

then, you plop the noodles back in the pan, stir in the meat chunks, pour on enough sketti sauce to mostly coat it all, and cover it in whatever cheese you want. i like mozzerella and parmesan, but i've used provolone and cheddar as well. then you bake it for about 20 mins (longer if you didnt precook the meat) at 350ish until the cheese gets bubbly and delicious looking.

there, it's a simple (but freakin delicious) meal. you mostly use pre-prepared ingredients, but since i live in an area where ethnic=weird to most people, i gotta make do.
---------
Dance On, Gir!

This sounds really good. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 07:41:39 AM EST
Also much easier than the meatballs-and-pasta I make or my lasagna. Thanks!
Yummy. by ana (2.00 / 0) #32 Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 03:15:32 PM EST
And really quite easy. Except we were expecting it to come out of the pan like lasagne. Need a spoon to dip it, not a spatula.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Oh jeebus by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 11:18:43 AM EST
I'm working with BG on opening a restuarant and you call an RFC now? I hate you.

What kind of recipe? Pick a style at least. I mean, if you want Italian-ish, LilFlightTest's lazy lasagne is great thanks to time saved. You mentioned Thai. My specialtes are Asian and Italian but I'm doing the Froggie/Belgian thing now (very complicated and time-consuming).

Easy Thai:

Clisce up some lemon grass. Fry at medium temp for 2-3 mins in at least 3T veg (peanut is bst) oil. Pull out lemon grass, leave oil. Add slived veg (hardest to softest). Add thin-sliced meat. Add curry paste and coconut milk. Turn down heat. Let simmer. Add glass noodles 1 minute before serving. Yay, Thai!

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Cool. I will certainly give that a try. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 11:31:30 AM EST
As far as styles of cooking, I'm really not picky. We cook a lot of Asian-ish food - stir-fries and the like - and I like cooking Southwestern (USia) and Mexican food. I also cook some Southern-type foods on occasion. I haven't cooked French, except for one attempt at coq-au-vin.

Except for lasagna-type dishes, I really haven't cooked much Italian either, so easy-ish Italian recipes would also be great.

+1 FP, curry surprise by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 01:28:59 PM EST
of course, I'm just going to have pizza for dinner.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Yeah, throw some hot dogs in there by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #20 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 02:38:32 PM EST
for hot dog thai, it would be awesome.

Wow. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 03:07:43 PM EST
I really had no idea that georgeha was an MNS dupe account (remembering hot dogs on pizza, ferinstanc). ;->
At times like this by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #24 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 03:25:56 PM EST
when MNS is trapped on Infinite Loop, we all have to channel our inner-MNS.

swordfish, bok choy, and wasabi wine reduction: by LinDze (4.00 / 3) #18 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 01:54:54 PM EST
Its a bit terse, but im sure youll figure it out.

2 Swordfish steaks (~1.5lbs)
2 bunches baby bok choy
Salt & pepper
Olive oil
1 cup red wine (big pinots are good, a nice cab would work as well)
1 tbs wasabi paste
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbs Lime juice (optional)

Pat dry swordfish steaks, brush steaks with olive oil, cover with salt and pepper to taste. Preheat heavy pan, brush with olive oil. Mix red wine, soy sauce, wasabi, and lime. When pan is almost smoking add steaks. Cook ~4 minutes to side, cook through, center should be opaque/white.

Deglaze pan with wine sauce, add bok choy leaves, cook for 1-2 minutes or until stalks are tender and leaves wilted. Remove bok choy and continue reducing sauce.

Serve steaks and bok choy drizzled with wine reduction.

PS: The wasabi looses most of its heat in the cooking process.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

Wow. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 02:23:31 PM EST
Swordfish is one of our most favorite kinds of fish, and this is much more exciting than what i usually do (marinate in olive oil and lime juice with dill; grill over charcoal until done).
you like tuna? by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 03:17:48 PM EST
If youre more of a griller ive got a rocking rosemary/citrus rub. Goes ++good on any firm fish, but makes especially good tuna and pepper kebobs.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
I do like tuna. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 03:24:58 PM EST
I like pretty much anything that lives in the ocean, actually. On days like this, when it's really hot, stuff I can cook outside is preferable to our hot and stuffy kitchen.
Hot and sour chick peas by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 08:38:19 AM EST
1)  Start rice.

2)  Melt 2-3 Tbs butter.  Fry 1 chopped large onion, 3 cloves minced garlic and about 1 Tbs minced ginger (if fresh) for 2 minutes.  Add approximately
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cardamom
dash cinnamon
half dash ground cloves, or less, or none
some salt
(all to taste)
and fry for two more minutes.

3)  Add 1 can chick peas minus half the water.

4)  Add 8 oz of peeled  canned tomatoes, crushed by hand (no kidding)

5)  Add red pepper flakes to taste.

6)  Cook until rice is done.

7)  Add 2 Tbs lemon juice.

Serve over rice in big bowls.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

"Step one cook rice" by ana (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 08:41:26 AM EST
has become a proverb around our house. As in, "Shall we step-one-cook-rice now?"

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Yay. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 08:43:09 AM EST
Quick, easy, vegetarian. All good things.
"Quick, easy, vegetarian" by zarathus (4.00 / 2) #30 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 07:29:00 PM EST
This would be my new motto if I were single.

----------
Blogger - n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do.
Dear HuSi: | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback