Print Story cvs ci life
By DesiredUsername (Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:06:28 AM EST) (all tags)
Three updates and a complaint

1. Pink and Blue turned 1 on Saturday. I should post some pics. Pink's favorite word is the same as her favorite game: Da! Here's how you play:

Daddy: Boo!
    Pink: Da! *laugh*

2. If you count the title slide, I have 10 slides for the 15 minute talk next week. My boss (who has done millions of these) says that he estimates 1 minute per slide, so I'm about 5 slides short and I have nothing else to talk about. I guess I'll "drill down" on a "going forward basis".

3. The telescope is very close to complete. The entire base is done, including a carrying handle. I finished the mirror cell and drilled a hole for the focuser a couple days ago. Last night I dry-fitted the spider to hold the secondary mirror. (It took about an hour because it has to be aligned to perfection within the range of the adjustment screws. That said, I think I would make my own spider next time--I can get the same effect or better for a lot less than $40.) Then I painted the entire inside of the tube a flattish, darkish gray ($5 can of "oops" paint from Home Depot).

Tonight and tomorrow I'll paint the outside of the tube. Then I guess this weekend I can mount the tube on the base and put all the bits inside.

I have some more recent pics of this, but I haven't posted them yet.

1. I'm tired of hearing of "bugs" "going around". there's always a "bug" "going around". If Person A tells Person B about Sick Child C, B will invariably know of some Other Sick Child D who had some similar symptom within the last 14 days. Conflating the two and calling it a "bug" that is "going around" is then mandatory by the rules of conversational stupidity. Even if you are right, Person B, a) there are always "bugs" "going around"--that's what "bugs" do and b) saying so is not particularly helpful. So the "bug" my child has didn't teleport here from a distant galaxy, you say? He must have gotten it from a local disease vector? IMAGINE THAT.
< Quick one | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
cvs ci life | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
They're one already? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:20:04 AM EST
Gollywhompers time flies. It's about time to start spawning again, don't you think?

Urg (nt) by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:42:11 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Woooo! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:36:46 AM EST
I for one can't wait to see pictures of the telescope baking in the oven!!

One is a great year for birthdays. You can give them an empty cardboard box for a gift and they'll be out of their gord happy with it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

ObFunnyBecauseTrue by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:46:10 AM EST
Also, they had a great time with their cake. Blue picked his apart into constituent atoms, Pink picked hers up like a huge (relative to her hand and mouth) apple and gummed the hell out of it. The high chairs had to be brought outside and hosed down afterwards.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Bugs going around by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:39:16 AM EST
The current bug going around my workplace is the way Windows 2000 server leaks heap memory which is aggravated by large user profiles on terminal services. I'm pretty impressed that one user had a 2.8GB profile.

The funny thing is that user profiles get so large because everything in a user's ``My Documents'' folder is considered to be part of their profile and is loaded into memory when they log in. What genius!

Cicero, The Republic
One already! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:39:42 AM EST
Good lord.  Happy birthday to them.  I recall them being the only cute newborns I'd ever seen.

In re: telescope, did you grind your own mirrors?!?  Anything less is...well, it's probably an extremely good idea, come to think of it.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

No by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:44:34 AM EST
I really like the idea of making the entire thing totally from scratch (i.e. melting sand to make the glass, etc) but you have to send the blank back in to be aluminized, which ruins the whole thing for me. Besides, if I bought the blank and ruined it I'd be pretty cheesed off. So I just purchased the mirrors. Plus the focuser and spider. The former was worth it, the latter probably not, as I mentioned.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
send the blank back by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 05:47:55 AM EST
Not so! Dissolve silver in a solution of *mumble*mumble*, pour said solution onto mirror, add *mumble*mumble*mumble* to the solution to precipitate the silver out, dry it, polish every time you use it. That's how real men did it in the Good Old Days.

I used to know what *mumble*mumble* and *mumble*mumble*mumble* were, but it's been over 10 years since I took astronomy in college.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I thought it was vacuum sputtering by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 05:50:37 AM EST
or something now. Rough Science had an episode where Kathy made a mirror and it was really awesome but a) it wasn't astro-quality and b) it involved having everyone urinate in a bucket to get raw materials.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Could be both by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 05:56:18 AM EST
IIRC, the proffessor used photo chemicals to get the silver.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh and eyepiecen by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:49:06 AM EST
I have to order some of those today, in fact.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
d'oh by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:41:26 AM EST
Make that 9 including the title.

Oh and the boss was just here looking at them. Good ideas. Plus he wants to dry run tomorrow. Whoa whoa whoa--I have some charts made but I have no idea what I'm going to say yet!

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

They're called pink and blue? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 06:54:46 AM EST
sexist (nt)

Also, what if the bug mutated inside your child? Wouldn't that have been something worth noticing?

IAWTS(nt) (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 07:39:03 AM EST

Actually by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 07:47:58 AM EST
We call them "Pink" and "Squirrel".

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Did you know? by TypographicalError (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 07:57:54 AM EST
I hear that if you fail to stretch a public presentation to its required length, the audience has the right to cut you open and eat your entrails while you scream.

Just a piece of helpful public speaking advice!

That might be better than the real penalty by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 08:07:46 AM EST
I might not get hired as a regular employee and be doomed to spend my existence as a high-insurance-paying, no-good-benefit-getting contractor.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline