Print Story Yesterday's games
Sport
By bob6 (Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 01:40:07 AM EST) football, France, Switzerland, Brazil, Croatia (all tags)
France x Switzerland: boo!
Brazil x Croatia: nice!

France/Switzerland
Final result: draw (0-0)
Overall appreciation: Ugly, ugly, ugly game.
The game was very slow and many good opportunities were missed from both sides. On top of this, judging was quite lousy.
I guess Switzerland gets a better deal with this draw than France but that means winning by the widest margin the following games. I'm not very optimistic given the performance. Serves coach Domenech well, he should have listened to the 60 millions coach wannabes.
I heard that Henry was very efficient when he plays in England but he isn't worth his salary over here.

Brazil/Croatia
Final result: Brazil wins (1-0)
Overall appreciation: good match.
That was a game: both teams were offensive, the ball moved a lot and fast, players made daring moves, the fair play, etc.
One could have expected a more brilliant performance from Oureverdes but that is a typical start-of-cup Brazil (they began 2002 with a lousy 1-1 against Turkey). Croatia was really good with technical players and decent team play, a pity (for them) Prso didn't have as much success as Kaka. By the way his goal was impressive and recalled Germany's last goal against Costa Rica... Brazil adapting?
Also, Ronaldo is fat indeed.

So far the most impressive teams have been Argentina and Germany. But neither can win. THEY CAN'T.
< Avoid passive voice | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Yesterday's games | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'd like Ghana to win by gpig (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 02:00:14 AM EST
Two reasons:
  1. It would be great if an African team won for once, this might help to hurry along the New Age of Peace and Enlightenment.
  2. I drew Ghana in the work sweepstake and would win some cash.
Unfortunately they have lost to Italy and are due to lose to the Czech Republic on Saturday. I'm just hoping they still have enough motivation to deliver a righteous gubbing to the USA(5th) next Thursday. (Nothing political, at least not this time, I'm just supporting the underwoof and my own financial interest).
(,   ,') -- eep
given how both teams played earlier this week by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:43:09 AM EST
also by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:43:42 AM EST
an african team winning would be good, but ghana's strikers can't shoot, so they have no chance at all.

Sadly true, if the Italy match is typical n/t by gpig (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:44:38 AM EST

(,   ,') -- eep
As long as it's not Cote d'Ivoire by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 05:03:58 AM EST
I heard the anti-government leader in the civil war say they'd take the trophy by force if the government tried to display it.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Brazil - Croatia by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 02:02:08 AM EST
Best game of the tournament so far I reckon, and nice to see that Brazil can be challenged. I thought Croatia were amazing.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

That's what I like with football by bob6 (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:14:16 AM EST
Any team, even the bestest ever, can be challenged. It's full of suprises.

Cheers.
Really?! by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:15:19 AM EST
Maybe it's because I only saw the last 30 mins, but the match seemed a bit of a let-down to me.  A Brazilian side just mincing around, going through the motions, leaving it up to the Croats to make all the play in the midfield before being denied in the box.

Brazil's moves seemed to be based around Croatia making mistakes and giving up possession in an area with plenty of space.

I was very unconvinced by the tournament favourites - I felt Croatia should have equalised.

They did tire towards the end by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:20:28 AM EST
The last ten minutes were crap, but I thought it was excellent earlier on. However Lineker and everyone found Brazil a bit lacklustre as well - maybe my expectations just aren't as high as everyone else's. It was better than the other matches I've seen so far this tournament. Certainly Ronaldhino was stunning at times in the first half - all flouncy ball skill and no results though, as you point out.

Also, it's nice to see the favourites stumble a bit. I really wanted Croatia to score.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Unfortunately by bob6 (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:24:26 AM EST
Croatians shoot on the keeper, instead of by the keeper.

But you're right: Brazilians kept blundering in the second half.

Cheers.
France vs Switzerland by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 02:07:44 AM EST
France cave in whenever Switzerland come out of their own half.  Fortunately, they never do.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
no, no by martingale (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:59:54 AM EST
Yooou miiiiisuuundeeeerstaaand, theeee swiiiiiissssss aaaaaare juuuuuust naaaaaatuuuuuuraaaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy sloooooooow.(*)

(*) with apology to silly cheese ads.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$

No need to apologise by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 04:11:54 AM EST
If these "ads" aren't shown during Battlestar Galactica, then I haven't seen 'em.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
ah yes by martingale (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 04:22:44 AM EST
The old conundrum. If a bear watches an ad in the woods but no cylon shoots him, can Saatchi and Saatchi collect their fee?
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Well, is the Pope a Catholic? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 04:52:00 AM EST
Sorry, I meant, a Cylon?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I don't know by martingale (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 05:00:13 AM EST
He's got the white dress and the blonde hair (or could have if he colours his hair - that's what most blondes do anyway). So mmmmyeah.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Henry by TPD (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:05:34 AM EST
is indeed very efficient in england, he has been the Premiership's Golden boot for the last 3 years, and (albeit that I'm biased) I really do believe that for club atleast there is no better player in the world at the moment.

Why he's never really shown this at international level I'm not certain, not that I've seen too many french games and I only saw very very brief highlights of yesterdays. However I think partly France have occasionally in the past played him too much like the traditional get into the box striker. Where at Arsenal he's far more of a play maker than that, and would typically take a deeper role.

I still think there's a good chance he's going to come good in this world cup though.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

My thoughts exactly by bob6 (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:20:01 AM EST
There are plenty of crafty goal makers (Trezeguet comes to mind), Henry would rather use his acceleration capacity on offensive middle position. But again that would mean in front of, huh, Zidane.

Cheers.
WIPO: netherlands by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:44:06 AM EST

you forgot yesterday's best game by 256 (4.00 / 2) #20 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 05:55:31 AM EST

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Thats a great pic: by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 06:21:57 AM EST
For all world cup doubters, look at the joy in his face and realise what you are missing.

That guy should lay off the Kim Chee by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 07:12:45 AM EST
until his 'rhoids heal.

The one in the middle. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 09:01:27 AM EST
Or the one in the background who's just come?

Opinion: by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 06:27:12 AM EST
France v Switzerland was a fairly dire game and France just look a bit devoid of ideas to me. That performance will not stand them in good stead.

Brazil v Croatia. Brazil were hampered by 2 main things, the absolutely shiteness of the performance by Ronaldo (he didn't fucking move) and the performance by Croatia. Brazil need a frontman whos going to move, either putting himself into good positions for clever balls on the floor, or to run onto equally clever balls over the top. Ronaldo is not going to do that. He will still put a ball in the back of the net but only provided its passed to him when hes already in a shooting position. He looked poor. I was pretty impressed by Croatia, thought it was a good performance, Prso worked his socks off, if they had a real quality finisher they may have done better.

Yesterday's games | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback