Print Story Attn: Mac zealot infidels
By andymurd (Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 02:20:45 PM EST) (all tags)
I am now one of you...

...well, I just bought a 2nd hand ibook.

Oh, I can just hear the trolls polishing their extra mouse buttons.

Ebay did me a favour and I got a nice little G3 800MHz fellow for a couple of hundred quid. I've never even used a mac before but wanted a laptop to use for web surfing and light web development and the ibook looks pretty sweet.

I figure I need to increase the paltry 128mb that it came with and upgrade from OS X 10.2 to a later version but other than that, it seems pretty sweet.

I think I want to be able to run:

• Safari
  • Firefox
  • Apache
  • Perl
  • PHP
  • A nice text editor
Oh, I also need wifi - I'm thinking that some kind of USB dongle will be much cheaper than an airport card.

Do any of you hardened mac users have any vital hints and tips for a newbie like me?

< ATTN BOSTON INFIDELS! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attn: Mac zealot infidels | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)
Tips: by miker2 (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 02:31:36 PM EST
I'm a recent convert but here they are anyways:

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Hooray, sensible answers by andymurd (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 02:39:33 PM EST
I was only intending to use Safari as I understand it's a popular browser, does camino have more users?

Thanks for the pointers to fink and darwinports - bookmarked. I'd already spotted textwrangler but it's good to hear somebody else putting it forward.

Camino by miker2 (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:09:24 PM EST
Is an OS X specific build of FireFox with OS X handles for KeyChain and other functionality built into it.

Safari has some issues with sites that Camino renders cleanly.  I switched and got CamiTools and CamiScript to help further customize the Camino experience.

Most OS X users use Safari/Firefox because it's what they know, but I feel Camino is a better browser.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
you can get emacs too by cam (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 05:55:51 PM EST
it is a draggy-drop app in the mac style. Garageband is the other app to look at. I would go the inbuilt wifi card too, it fits under the keyboard and is easier to forget about than a usb one.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Why use emacs by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 04:13:16 AM EST
when OS X comes with vi, The One True Editor.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
It also comes without by cam (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 07:39:20 AM EST
wget. Has vi but not wget? - its *nix credentials are shot it is teh wintard operating system.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

It does come with curl though. <nt> by miker2 (4.00 / 2) #13 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 08:18:03 AM EST

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Solution by cam (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 03:21:26 PM EST
Some programs you should get by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:03:17 PM EST
  1. Quicksilver. This is the best program launcher type thing ever.
  2. Sidetrack (since it's an older iBook). This'll let you use the sides of your trackpad as a scrollwheel, useful since you don't have the two-finger drag thing that PowerBooks (or, I think, newer iBooks) do.
  3. Adium, if you do any IM stuff. It's just a really good IM client.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Adium <nt> by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 03:06:19 PM EST

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Allow me to echo by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 04:31:18 PM EST
miker2 on the RAM front.  As much as the machine will bear.

----
I am a crime against humanity
-theantix

The vortex by inspector seven (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 04:37:08 PM EST
This isn't so much of a hint as it in a ominous warning.  Once you are sucked into the MAC vortex there is no turning back.  You will begin to put strangers PC's to sleep trying to turn op the volume.

You will formulate sentances that sound a lot like, "___ is not a problem, I have a Mac."

Finally, come the day you, God forbid, have to purchase another PC.  There will be an overwhelming feeling of impending doom, compounded by the feeling that Steve Jobs may appear from thin air and slap you.

there is help for religious cults you know by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 05:00:32 PM EST
of course, cultists don't know that they are in fact cultists, so this post is meaningless.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Mrs C had one of those by creo (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 12:31:13 AM EST
It's just expired with yet another logic board failure. Unfortunately it is now well out of warranty - so if you ever need any non logic board components you know where to find them. To show I'm not a member of the cult, I immediatley replaced it with a mac mini...

My comments basically echo everyones here - max out the RAM. I personally use fire for IM, but I have heard Adium is the dog's bollocks, but I started with fire and cant be fooked changing.

For editor - Textmate kicks ass - it's not free, but if you like the Unix way, it's the only way forward.

SVNX for subversion client - not as good as tortoise, but still not bad.

Unison is a cool newsreader.

Moneydance for accounts.

Get textwrangler anyway, its free, and can be handy for diffs for svnx.

That's all I can think of now. Oh, I dont use Fink or Darwinports - I find they are a pain in the ass, I just use DMGs, and if I cant find that then its tarballs and compiles. YMMV.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

Attn: Mac zealot infidels | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)