Print Story i'm just about birthdayed out
Family
By georgeha (Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:05:36 AM EST) birthday pussy, cookies, yeah I'm the taxman (all tags)
and I have 3 more to get through in the next 4 1/2 weeks.

Plus, a tale of two cats, no footie(soccer) content, tax schadenfreude and less in the skimpy diary designed to keep the diary page moving.

Poll: Favorite pet?

Yesterday was a welcome day off. I agreed to go into  school to help pass out cookies for nine year old's bday celebration (her real bday is in July, but we honor our agrarian roots and let the kids off school for a few months to help with the barvest, causing no end of grief to working parents and parents of very needy children, so she chose to celebrate it yesterday). It was also Mrs. Ha's bday, so there was lots of celebrating.

Mrs. Ha usually works Tuesday, but her boss wanted hours, so she took it off. We did some baking, Irish_girl came by with birthday desserts, and then we went to the school with the cookies. There were enough extra that nine year old and two friends were able to wander the school handing out cookies to previous teachers, and adminstration, with four year old and I tagging along.

Then home, then back to school to pick up nine year old to go to the pound and get a cat. Yes, the November cat ran away one night, and we don't know where she is. The best odds are she go crushed by a car late one night a street over, a calico matching her description sustained fatal injuries crossing that street. But then other people saw a calico matching her description about 8 streets over, including the main drag. Regardless, she's not here.

Mrs. Ha is quite the cat person, and was astonished to find that I am not. I like them a little, and tolerate them, but I prefer the loyalty of a dog who will rip off a burglar's arm while I choose the appropriate firearm from my wall hanging arsenal. So, when I heard her tell me of this calico kitten at the pound, in one of her many trips to the pounds to see if November cat showed up, I knew we would be getting it. Yet another bday present.

Later, we celebrated Mrs. Ha's bday with a slow limping trip to the corner deli for ice cream (our server was incredibly slow, he wouldn't have lasted an hour at Friendly's) where I ended up buying ice cream for upstreet_boy (he's nearly family, it seems) and then birthday presents, including the nearly lethally intoxicating Magie Noire parfum (Magie Noire oil has disappeared off the market, probably from too many lawsuits from children irreparably harmed from seeing their daddy bending their mommy over the couch in a lust crazed intoxicated madness, it was that good.)

Our mailman left a confusing note Monday. At first (and second and third read), it was a note saying we had certified mail from the New York State Tax agency, and our neighbor down the street had signed for it. I was anxious, was it the few dollars I spent on ebay without paying state tax? the $900 tercel being undervalued (the body is really a mess). Neighbor knew nothing about it, so I reread it. On fourth glance, it had been misdelivered, and nieghbor down the street had certified mail from the state tax agency. I doubt they send out certified mail for Exemplary Taxpayer awards, so it's probably bad news, butnot for me, schadenfruede.

Summer is nearly here. We're done with ice skating, this was the last Wednesday I have to get up at 5:45 until fall, and we're done with all the other evening activities. Friday night is nine year old's exposition on the American Revolution, and next Wednesday is the last day of school. Saturday is theh school picnic, we'll probably attend.

We still need to plan four year old and nine year old's bday, and get them gifts. I also have my mom's bday coming up, Father's Day, a wedding, just a whole slew of events.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
i'm just about birthdayed out | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Poll should be multiselect, plzkthx. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:14:29 AM EST
I just can't decide. :-) ana rightly ph34rs that I could easily become the crazy cat lady, but I also really love dogs, rats, ferrets, and practically any other furry mammal-type critter. I've long wanted a pet goat as well, though that would be incredibly impractical in suburbia. I listened enviously to a story on NPR recently of a couple who had a pet pig.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
and multiselect it is by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:17:51 AM EST

rodents ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:25:41 AM EST
weasels ? swine ? Oh my..

Goats, now that I can work with. Cousin has goats in the semi-suburbs of Goshen, IN.. Makes goat cheese and what not. Good stuff.

shoot, I forgot potbelly pigs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:43:58 AM EST
and peccaries

um by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:36:08 AM EST
I hope i'm not getting another critter for my birthday Friday.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

No, I'm still waiting for you to pick one out. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:41:41 AM EST
I wouldn't want to get you the wrong kind of cat or rat or lemur. ;-)
Marmot? by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:55:21 AM EST
or marmoset? Decisions, decisions.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Orangutan! n/t by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:57:37 AM EST

Aardvark! by ana (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 09:06:50 AM EST

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

dropping the one liners by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:24:19 AM EST
our server was incredibly slow, he wouldn't have lasted an hour at Friendly's
Awesome.

We're talking minutes per cone by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:26:06 AM EST
minutes! When I was working at Friendly's, I could do cones per minute. I was probably ten times faster than this schmuck.

Maybe his lookupd process went bonkers by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 11:55:57 AM EST

Sometimes that'll lock up a server but good... How much CPU was he using in top?

"Adopted" kids by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 08:55:14 AM EST
I had several families which "adopted" me when younger. Most were friends' families that saw me just as much as their own children often partaking of the same school or scouting event. Of course, the reverse was also true: Several of my friends became "adopted" brothers so often were they at my residence.

Funnily enough, it was one of these friend's mother who got very, very upset the one time he called my mom by that title. It is only amusing in retrospect but the woman's face turned a shade of purple I had asumed was reserved for those who are undergoing a heart-attack or similiar shock to their system.

reciprocity would be nice by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 09:09:36 AM EST
$upstreet_boy's mom has a very hands off approach to child rearing, as a result he never has friends over (school or neighborhood) and is free to roam the streets until 9 or 10 at night.

So, he comes over a lot since nine year old is his age. He's very comfortable in our house, perhaps too comfortable, and very comfortable riding nine year old's bike and such.

It would be nice if once in a while his mom invited nine year old along for an outing, but it hasn't happened yet.

I simply cannot imagine that by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 09:29:47 AM EST
Perhaps it has to do with like tending to like, but I would guess that all but a scant few of the friends I had growing up had parent's whose rearing philosophy were similiar enough to my own parents' that it was very rare for me or them to get away without somebody's parent being knowledgable of who and what and where. It likewise seems strange to not even wish to enjoin other parents if only out of a need to have actual-factual contact with other adult humans.

It has become something of a discussion amoung those of us who are married and w/o children of yet about the differences in freedom we can grant our children. From this and ones I have read of the past, it seems that his mother has confused the intellectual and physical forms of such. It is all well and good to allow your child to explore the vast world of ideas and thoughts and it is easy to keep them safe: You have the purse-strings, their access to most things is entirely at your whim. Physical freedom to travel and move and to be wherever at nearly whenever seems almost dangerous.

WIPO: brick by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 09:20:45 AM EST
It's kind of like an AI pet rock.

Cicero, The Republic
3 birthdays in 4.5 weeks? by Ignore Amos (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 10:47:47 AM EST
It must suck to be aging that quickly.

Oh right, actual dogs by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 11:07:40 AM EST
The pug fad has become so big around here that I've nearly replaced the traditional dog image in my mind with a small guinea pig-sized animal that a housecat could eat for breakfast.

WIPO: by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 02:10:52 AM EST
Log!
It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!"

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
WIPO: by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 05:51:57 AM EST
Penthouse.

Right now the 9 year old is working on getting a hamster - I told her she could get one if she (a) read up on them and (b) saved up the money for the whole kit. I figured it would take her most of the summer.

So, of course, the money just started pouring in from various sources - birthday money, "look what I found in my bookbag" money and so on. So, it looks like she'll be getting one next week when we come back from camping.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

Come now, Miss February is pretty close by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 05:54:35 AM EST
for that WIPO:

We have no hamster plans, I reckon two cats make then an XOR condition.

I'll let you know by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 06:19:28 AM EST
about cats ^ hamsters - since we already have 2 cats.

The nine year old has placed her confidence in an indestructable hamster ball - but I have visions of finding the cats playing "hamster soccer" with it...

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

i'm just about birthdayed out | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback