Print Story I was out for a bit
By duxup (Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:07:13 AM EST) Fish and houseguests stink after three days (all tags)
Topics:

I was out
The House & House Guests
Stuff to Get Rid of
MN Twins
Civ IV: Widescreen
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Bad Meat
Wedding Misc.*

Out

Cripes I was gone for Husi a while there.  They say life comes at you fast.  I guess fast means tons of work, stuff to do around the house, hand made wedding invitations, and I’m not at all sure what else.

The House & House Guests

The fiancé and I are in the process of making the house look presentable for the arrival of my mother this week.   Mom finished her last round of chemo about a month ago and sounds like she’s doing well.   She’s staying for a week and a half…   Now I like my mom and all but that’s a LONG time.  Fortunately my sister in the area will be taking here for a few days . . . while we host my fiancé’s twin :P

Anyway we can magically park two cars in the garage now that I’ve managed to arrange our stuff just right.  It’s amazing how much stuff we need to get rid of that just takes up space and that charities or people in the area want, but we can’t give to them because we cars that can’t transport this stuff in our tiny cars.

Stuff to Get Rid of

A big old 32” TV currently residing in the den that probably should be replaced with a nice small LCD TV before we get rid of it.

A twin bed that several charities say they desperately need.  Yet none of them actually can find the time to come pick it up.

An old leather recliner.  I’m not sure if anyone wants it, but it needs to go.

I hate to toss some of this stuff out like the bed and the recliner . . . we just don’t have the room for it.  People keep telling me “oh don’t throw those things out!” yet nobody actually seems to know what to do with them, and if they do they don’t know how we can get the stuff to them.

MN Twins

As I expected / predicted this year the Twins aren’t doing so well.   The good players they have are great, but the bad players are horrible.  At least they got their stadium.

I appreciate that people don’t like taxpayer money going toward such a facility.  I think that’s a very reasonable stance.  Even so I’m happy they’re going to pay to entertain me.

Civ IV: Widescreen

I’ve come to a realization.  Civ IV in widescreen . . . AWESOME!

The 40 Year Old Virgin

I watched this movie over the weekend.  Was this supposed to be really funny?

I enjoyed the film and would give it a slightly above average rating but I just didn’t think it was as funny as I had heard.   It felt like a bunch of scenes sort of grafted together without much cohesiveness and when they went to editing they decided to make up for it by telling the same joke eight times.  The jokes were funny the first few times but by the end the funny had run out and I was waiting for it to end.

Bad Meat

The fiancé and I went grocery shopping last night.  We were going to make enchiladas when we got home.  I opened up the beef package ready to cook it and . . .  ACK.   Worst smell evar!  (you are correct if you’re now assuming I’ve never had kids)   So we took the meat back and they refunded our money.  A replacement from the same shelf just didn’t seem like a good idea.

I suppose that stuff is bound to happen but it is one of those events that makes me wonder how it happened?  Also I wonder if I will ever buy meat from that grocery store again despite the numerous good experiences.

Wedding Misc.

I’ll be glad when I can actually get married and be done with it.

The wedding cards were assembled and shipped out.  A few things have began disappearing from our registry.  The fiancé greatly enjoys logging onto the various sites and looking for who bought what.

Oddly some baby stuff appeared on our registry recently.  We did not add that stuff, it just appeared there as if we wanted and someone bought it.  I hope it was a computer mistake that will be cleared up shortly.   I don’t want anyone to get the wrong idea and start receiving a ton of baby items.

Honeymoon

The Honeymoon has been finalized.  Thank goodness.  We’re staying at the fancy place.  This is not exactly my kind of place I would normally stay but it is a honeymoon and if we’re going to splurge it may as well be then.   On top of rarely taking a proper vacation … ever, all this other stuff flying around makes me anticipate hanging out at the hotel and in San Diego as if my life depended on it.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I was out for a bit | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You need some duct tape by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:09:49 AM EST
Red Green would have a field day with a leather recliner and 32 inch TV.

Red scares me by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:44:54 AM EST
I’m sure he’s a guy but watching that show gives me that not so safe feeling.   I can't explain why.
____
Yeow by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:39:31 AM EST
That's some kinda Hotel.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Indeed by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:48:57 AM EST
It screams duxup, you're not our kind of people.
____
Getting rid of stuff by lm (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:40:00 AM EST
Everywhere I've lived, putting stuff out on the lawn in the evening with a ``for sale'' sign has guaranteed that it would be gone by morning.

Cicero, The Republic
I'd love to by duxup (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 06:48:15 AM EST
The catch is that I live at the end of an inlet in this little town home association.  So we’re not supposed to do that sort of thing, and like all of 4 people might see it if I put it in front of my house.  Placing it in a more central location isn’t’ something I’d like to encourage and alternately putting it on the county road nearby will almost certainly result in someone’s death (dangerous road to even look at).

I’m thinking of buying some bricks and tossing them into the pond out back late at night.

____

i usually tape by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 10:48:30 AM EST
"FREE!" on the item.  Never sits out for more than an hour.

Percieved value by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 10:54:21 AM EST
I suppose it depends on where you live. In many neighborhoods ''free'' items are ignored because they're somebody's pass-me-ons. But if a price tag is affixed it suddenly becomes valuable enough to steal.

Cicero, The Republic
in my 'hood by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 11:08:09 AM EST
"free" means "you don't have to wait until dark to come back for it"

You're giving me bad ideas by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 07:01:15 AM EST
Part of the deal we're getting with the house is that the owner is leaving their 72" widescreen TV, among various other things, behind. The idea I can hookup my computer and play Civ4, WoW or other assorted games is both very, very cool and very, very frightening.

I agree! by theantix (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 05:58:13 PM EST
40 year old virgin was highly overrated.  Also, civ4 widescreen is the coolest thing since sliced/toasted/buttered/cheesed bread.  Hella awesome, yo!

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.
I was out for a bit | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback