Print Story Graves' disease
Health
By calla (Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 08:14:17 PM EST) disease sucks (all tags)
not as grave as you'd think.

I've finally been diagnosed.

Graves' disease.

At last I have an explanation for all my symptoms. But even better - it's completely treatable. I don't think I could ask for a better mannered dysfunction.

The doctor said my condition was 'extreme' and his nurse said that medically speaking my thyroid was 'whacked'.

Because I don't have health insurance the doctor offered samples of methimazole. He came out of the sample closet with four bottles. He was mumbling as he was doing the math to figure out how much I'd need. "Two tablets, twice a day. No, four, eh. Don't take these. They'll make you worse." He'd accidentally grabbed some thyroid enhancing drugs. Visions of the pharmacist in "It's a Wonderful Life" came to mind.

I should start to feel better in a couple of weeks. It's about time.

Update [2006-6-10 2:2:15 by calla]: Interesting celebs with Graves': Tipper Gore, George Bush Sr., Gail Devers, Kim Alexis. and Carl Lewis.

Runners and politicians?

< Solicitation | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Graves' disease | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I hope you feel better by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 08:25:44 PM EST
and maybe you can hang out with Barbra Bush and trade treatment tips sometime.
Didn't Barb have hypo-thyroidism? by calla (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 08:45:30 PM EST
Mine's the opposite - HYPER-thyroidism.

I had post-partum hyper-thyroidism six years ago. It was kinda cool. I had energy to burn. I could run circles around everyone. Now it's so whacked that I'm without energy and shaking all the time.

It's just not fun anymore.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

google agrees with me by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 08:55:29 PM EST
Funny. by calla (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 09:03:38 PM EST
The list I found only included her hubby.

Damn internets.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

runs in my family by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 08:27:12 PM EST
at worst, they'll irradiate you...but you'll get better.
Send me to Austria!
Good luck! by skippy (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 09:23:01 PM EST
I'm going in for some thyroid tests tomorrow, should be fun.

Really? by calla (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 09:26:42 PM EST
Why? Are having other tests also?

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Just one more by skippy (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 09:42:04 PM EST
they'll be running an EKG as well.

Take two months of renovations [the kitchen, so I haven't been eating properly for quite a while], lots of stress at work, a brother-in-law who committed suicide two weeks ago, and add a bit of caffeine.  I was sitting down talking to my boss in his office, and suddenly I started getting very lightheaded and felt like I was on the verge of passing out.  Then my extremities and my face went numb, that was also great.

The doctor at the hospital said my body had started hyperventilating for some reason - most likely an anxiety attack - except that it didn't stop until about an hour later when I was at the hospital and he gave me an adavan to take the edge off.  The bizarre part is that I was weathering the stress reasonably well until my body decided that it was going on strike.

Saw my regular GP today, he wants to run some tests to rule out any physiological causes before going down the psychological route.  I have experienced some minor lightheadedness at my desk before, but just chalked it up to Too Much Coffee.  But if one cup can set me off this bad now, then something else is up.

Your doctor sounds great. by calla (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 04:35:36 AM EST
I hope the tests are negative.

The first time I had this was post-partum. I had anxiety attacks. The walls at work would cave in and I felt dizzy, with heart palpitations.

Did you have palpitations?

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Yes by skippy (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 11:30:33 AM EST
At least, according to the definition of "being very aware of one's heartbeat".  Usually I would have an odd feeling (skipped a beat or something? hard to say since I only can check my heart rate after the fact), notice that my heart was racing a bit, and then I would feel lightheaded.

I seemed to experience it more on days with more coffee and less (if at all) on days with no coffee, it's most likely caffeine-related.  That said, I only had one cup of coffee on Thursday morning, and it was my first one in at least 3-4 days.  If the tests come back negative then maybe I can convince the doctor to do a comparison test where I drink a cup of coffee and then have an EKG an hour later, just to see if it's definitely that.

Sounds like a good idea. by calla (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 12:50:09 PM EST
Coffee definitely effects some folks more than others.

Wouldn't it be cool if that was your only problem?

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Ugh ugh. by skippy (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Jun 13, 2006 at 02:19:36 PM EST
That would be very cool if coffee was my only problem.  However, I haven't had any coffee since the Problem on Thursday, and today I almost had another anxiety episode (this time while talking to a different manager, WTF's up with that).

Doing a bit more reading, and I'm seeing a lot of my symptoms showing up under "symptoms of hyperthyroidism", where I also see "the most common form of hyperthyroidism is Graves' disease."  Wow, maybe I'm in the same boat with you on this one.

As I said by calla (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jun 13, 2006 at 02:34:27 PM EST
there are worse maladies. Grave's is completely treatable.

Anxiety attacks are common with hyperthyroidism. Six years ago when I had post-partum hyperthyroidism I actually saw the walls in my office caving in on me. My doctor gave me something to take when I had anxiety - but I rarely took it.

When do you get your test results?

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

actually caving in, wow by skippy (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Jun 13, 2006 at 03:48:25 PM EST
That's a pretty convincing optical illusion.  I think that most of what I was experiencing was related to the hyperventilating.  It's odd that I don't recall actually hyperventilating, but it probably happened.  I was starting to have another lightheaded/numb/tingling "episode" again today that I managed to quell by controlling my breathing and moving around a bit (to generate more carbon dioxide in my bloodstream?).

I didn't think I was feeling anxious, though.  But hey, maybe I just don't know what anxious feels like... or maybe I just feel that way all the time these days, so I can't detect any shifts in my psyche.  If I'm anxious about anything right now, it would be having an anxiety attack in the middle of the Big Meeting they just scheduled for tomorrow morning.  Vicious cycle, and whatnot.

Test results were supposed to be 3-4 business days, so I'll call up the doc on Thursday and see if he has them yet.

That's some pretty deep throat you've been gi- by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 09:00:14 AM EST
Oh, you probably didn't mean the literal sense of whacked.

Just think how much energy you're going to have when you get fixed!  It's like you'll be Captain Marvel - Rambeau version, I mean.

Mmmm.  I think I may already have gone too far with this one to abort.  Back in ten minutes or so.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Just don't bafr up the isotope they give you. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 09:17:12 AM EST
Otherwise a hazmat team has to come to your house to clean up.

My ex was diagnosed with Graves. As you said totally treatable.

They haven't decided to kill by calla (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 10:40:20 AM EST
my thyroid yet. We're waiting to see if the drugs work.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Good luck then my dear. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #17 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 12:07:20 PM EST
Here's a #HUG# and a grope -- oops!

SBOH by TPD (4.00 / 1) #13 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 10:49:33 AM EST
has an overactive thyroid, and the tablet saw her right as rain in no time, compared to the lethargic mess she was prior to diagnosis.

She's been taking them on and off see below for 10 years now with no issues.

An added plus is if you fancy a break from the tablets, Graves disease tends to go away durring pregnancy.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Funny. by calla (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 11:23:11 AM EST
The doctor told me NOT to get pregnant. I guess the pills kill fetuses?

The pills are bad, but at least I can sing The Jam's 'The Bitterest Pill' and really MEAN it.

The Bitterest Pill

In your white lace and your wedding bells
You look the picture of contented new wealth
But from the on-looking fool who believed your lies
I wish this grave would open up and swallow me alive
For the bitterest pill is hard to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows

When the wheel of fortune broke, you fell to me
Out of grey skies to change my misery
The vacant spot, your beating heart took its place
But now I watch smoke leave my lips and fill an empty room

For the bitterest pill is hard to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows

The bitterest pill is mine to take
If I took it for a hundred years, I couldn't feel any more hate

Now autumn's breeze blows summer's leaves through my life
Twisted and broken dawn, no days with sunlight
The dying spark, you left your mark on me
The promise of your kiss, but with someone else

For the bitterest pill is mine to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows

The bitterest pill is mine to take
If I took it for a hundred years, I couldn't feel anymore ill!

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Actually by TPD (4.00 / 1) #16 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 11:47:08 AM EST
before we started trying she changed tablets. I think it was from Carbamizole(?) to something else (that I can't remember the name of).

If you're interested I can get the wife to PM the details to you.

BTW did you go all Googly eyed? ;)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

I've been afraid I would, by calla (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 12:26:47 PM EST
but I don't think I have.

Thanks. Any info would be great.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

pregnancy is an immunosuppressant by persimmon (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 05:56:34 PM EST
Well, sort of. Grave's is autoimmune, so...it wouldn't be completely implausible, if it were a mild case.
-----
"Nature is such a fucking plagarist."
Mrs. Ha also has a thryoid problem by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #20 Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 08:32:59 AM EST
underactive, I think, she takes something that starts with Lev, for about $10 a month after insurance (maybe $40 before). That's ridiculously cheap.

She probably takes by calla (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 08:49:56 AM EST
the stuff the doctor almost gave me.

Next visit we'll have to be careful not to swap meds. It'll be especially difficult if she carries a black purse also.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

awww... by moonvine (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 02:13:36 PM EST

I really hope you get better soon : )

Could be worse by mudge (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:56:09 PM EST
Quit being a whiney bitch and suck it up!

You're pretty late to this party by webwench (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 06:13:06 AM EST
and you seem to have a certain target of interest here at HuSi.

Care to explain why that would be?

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Ooo someone is testy, by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 01:58:03 PM EST
Need more fiber in your diet darling?

Graves' disease | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback