Print Story Proper diary time.
By Alice Pulley (Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:33:37 AM EST) Diary, Football, Xbox 360, My 2 Dads (all tags)
PROPER.

Things including:

Footy.
Work.
C.
2 shags.
Xbox 360.

POLL: Best modern (1986 +) footballer?

Well, been a while since I've put down anything vaguely coherent so I will give it a bash now. The following in no order of importance (or, in fact, interest).

FOOTY.
Lots going on. On the England front, I just want Sven to stop pricking about this close to the world cup. How can he not have had a plan for players being injured. Example, Mourinho had a plan for Chelski to have 2 players in every position, presumably so they could have a formation and strategy that was not reliant on individuals (even though individuals clearly improve performance). Why did Sven not have players in mind and in the squad for previous friendlys to replace key players? Why does he only give people half a game to prove themselves? Why is Sven cocking about with Carragher and Hargreaves as holding players when Carrick is the obvious answer to everyone? I am worried - Owen is not fit and we do not seem to have a clear plan of how we are going to play with him - let alone if he doesn't play. Sven seems to have made his mind up to take Walcott (over Defoe & Bent???) so he needs to give him a game. On saturday I would start with a 4-4-2, start with Owen and Crouch up front and rest Becks and play Walcott on the right. Give him a whole game. Becks is 31, is in great form and will not suffer from not playing. Walcott could then be moved into a more central role in the 2nd half when Owen comes off and give Lennon a run on the right. Its a shame - I think we look strong everywhere but up front and Svens lack of forward thinking and his lack of clarity about what to do now is going to hurt us.

In other footy news Chelski can just fuck off now. Ballack, Kalou and Shevchenko. Sigh. Although, admittedly, I would have gone for Adriano over Sheva (just from an age thing) had I been them but then, he isn't best mates with Abramorich.

WORK.

Well, the UK go-live has been seamless...despite splitting it over 2 dates due to some psychic premonition and despite countless protestations that they were 'ready' and in fact could have been 'ready' 2 weeks earlier, the techy blokes have fucked up. It ranges from annoying (users not configured properly despite all the data being submitted) to stupid (maximum no of users set too low - gah) to catastrophic (massive server performance issues). Still, by outsourcing the work we have at least made sure we are on budget. Oh no, because they massively underestimated the amount of integration required, we're fucked there too. Overall, 6 out of 10. I am having to work too many hours at the moment (including all last weekend save the afternoon I spent at a 'rockfest').

C.

Very happy still, although we are both struggling to adjust to seeing each other without living together. We are both really busy and struggling to understand whats the right amount of time to spend together and then make enough time to spend it and we are both being a bit touchy if one isn't free when the other is. Still, we've talked about it (which is better than we used to manage) and are determined to get it right as we want to be together :)

2 shags.

Fuck off the British tabloid press. Can we please get on politicians backs about their politics? I don't give a shit whether some fat slug-a-like played crouqet over the weekend. I care about (for example) the alledged civilian murders carried out by the (heavily UK backed) US military in Iraq. I hasten to add, I judge not (yet) as I don't know enough facts but I am proper fucked off crouqet is the headline news rather than dubious policy.

Xbox 360.

Am not getting enough time to play my precious, save late at night (eg between 11pm and 2am last night). Am currently assasinating my way through the Dark Brotherhood missions on Oblivion. Fantastically, this is one of the few RPG games that (I at least) have played that seems to balance skills/powers/abilities eg I started with a swordy/magicky bloke and am now pissed off I didn't specialise more in sneaky type skills. In Morrowind I started with a thief type and got battered constantly. I continue my 'not being very good' campaign on Ghost Recon.

POLL:

Best modern footballer (and by that I mean one I can remember so must have played post 1986). I think I won't include Maradona as he's probably  quite a bit ahead of anyone else.

Thats it, good day to you.

< Why is playing golf badly like some toast? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Proper diary time. | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I miss the *clink*. by Evil Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:45:10 AM EST
I'm sure you don't. Best of luck making it work.

I miss the... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:50:40 AM EST
...'dooommmmmmeeeeeddddd' more.

If it's any help by DullTrev (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:55:04 AM EST

Be assured I'm still thinking it.

DFJ?
mwa (x) by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:57:40 AM EST

I hope that was an air kiss. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:01:24 AM EST
You don't know where he's been.

Don't worry. by Evil Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #12 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:20:26 AM EST
He shafted his boss recently, so can you guess what he is now? It begins with a 'D' and has an 'ooooooooooooommmmmmmmeeeeeeedddd' at the end of it.

Hey! by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:45:46 AM EST

I resent the fact there may be truth in that statement!

DFJ?
I shall endeavour to be less insightful. by Evil Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #24 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 05:06:03 AM EST
I think I should be well up to the task.

Thank you by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 05:07:26 AM EST

The last thing I need when I come here is reality, dammit.

DFJ?
Can't wait for next season by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:52:43 AM EST
Chelsea's turning into Battlestar Galactico. ;)

However I'm dismayed by this talk of Roberto Carlos. I hope it's a smokescreen for a certain Arsenal leftback's arrival.

Mourinho does seem to be playing... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 03:56:45 AM EST
...Championship Manager at the mo. Carlos would be a shit buy, I think hes turning into a liability in that he still bombs forward but can't get back - and you don't exactly have anyone ahead who will cover. Cole much sounder and you may well be right.

I belive the hack by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:16:16 AM EST
For unlimited money in Real Life Championship Manager (TM) is "Roman"

OK go one then by TPD (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:00:20 AM EST
you can have Cliche (£26M?)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
WIPO: Mia Hamm by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:02:45 AM EST
though I have to respect Foudy's pro-pre-game sex attitude, too.

It's the deep game by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:03:57 AM EST
In politics and the media representations.  The media (Grauniad included, probably Socialist Worker excluded) seem to have the knives out for Bliar and his rotten government.  One can argue that that is the strategy to putting better government in place that will pay proper attention to civilian murders in iRaq.

Oblivion: you don't really need sneak that much TBH.  Buy or make a couple of chameleon potions and a set of soft, soft boots and you're set.
Top tip: when running anywhere in town, always jump and have a non offensive spell on the go.  Builds up your athleticism and some casting skills with no risk.

Re government... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:23:40 AM EST
...yeah possibly, maybe thats the route they have to take in the Big Brother age.

Ob: Chameleon potions/spells and invisibility is cheating. Cheating. The enjoyment is in tiptoing through the shadows and then stabbing your victim all unsuspecting. I have been playing assassin missions too much btw. Yeah, have been doing the spell thing, building up restoration by always healing myself as I run around.

*shrug* by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:43:13 AM EST
Having nearly finished the game (every shrine, every thiefs guild (bar the last one), fighters guild (bar the last one because it's bugged), every mages guild and every dark brotherhood guild quest, every shrine and the main mission itself), it's not cheating, it's playing the game.  Do you also shun Soulstones, healing potions and magicka potions too?

Then again I hate the creeping around sort of quest, I'm more for the hack and slash type missions.

Also: vampirism: highly recommended.

I'm exaggerating... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:53:13 AM EST
...I just enjoy playing the assassin missions without invisibility/chameleon, it makes them a lot more challenging/fun.

Thinking of giving vampirism a bash, although I recently killed the guy in the Dark Brotherhood guild who offered to 'do' me. Do you have to run around at night all the time???

I think by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 05:33:08 AM EST
Count whatshisface will oblige.  Failing that just find a cave full of vampires, remove your resistance to disease gear and don't block.

There's 3 stages of vampirism: normal, moderate and full.  Normal you can go about your business during the daytime, and fast travel.

Moderate, the sun hurts a little and you can't travel.  Full, the sun will kill you in about 15 seconds and most tradesmen won't deal with you.  You can go back to normal status by breaking into a house and sneaking up on people, then if you attempt to pickpocket them you'll get the option to feed on them.

You become more vampire after you wait, or sleep.  It is a little bit of a pain in the arse to manage but you'll get the hang of it.  But the benefits at the first stage of vampirism are pretty good; charm, strength and resistance to disease.  You are more vulnerable to fire though; pick up or make some fire res gear.  I sometimes deliberately wait a bit once inside a dungeon just to up my vampirism.

This is a good resource but it does have a fair few spoilers.

*Sticks fingers in ears* by nebbish (4.00 / 3) #10 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:14:39 AM EST
La-la-la-la-la we're going to win

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Poll rules query by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:20:40 AM EST
Does the player have to have had their full career post 1986?

Complexity: by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:28:08 AM EST
Lets say must have played in at least one further major tournament post World Cup 86.

okey by Merekat (4.00 / 4) #16 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:32:42 AM EST
Perpetual nice guy and crisp-eater Gary Lineker

To each their own. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:34:50 AM EST

Apparently, he has nice legs by MrPlough (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:55:25 AM EST
Apparently.

My mother-in-law fancies Alan Shearer. Figure that one out!
No work.

Dear god. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 04:57:05 AM EST
He makes me look sophisticate and handsome.

I read that as by MrPlough (4.00 / 2) #23 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 05:05:19 AM EST
He makes me feel sophisticate and handsome.

Shudder.
No work.

No yellow cards. Ever. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #33 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:19:39 AM EST
I only heard that recently. Or at least, the magnitude of his nice-guy ness only struck me then.

I had (female) schoolfriends with massive crushes on him. They're probably still Spurs fans, so you can thank him for that.

Don't remember any of his football, though. I had to plump for Gascoigne, because he's the only player who's ever done stuff that's really amazed me. Only a fairweather footy observer anyway, me.

Prescott has it coming by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #27 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 05:36:11 AM EST
After years of cultivating such a rich working relationship with the media, you want them to resist sticking the boot in now?  Perhaps this will serve as a salient lesson about the merits of common courtesy.

PS: I heard he shagged Claire.  Up the back alley.

PPS: Everyone else has.

PPPS: You're above all this now, aren't you?  You smug fuck.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Bless you... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #38 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:49:57 AM EST
...my poor, sweet, disadvantaged, Scotto-Frenchy brother.

Your celtic/gallic nature makes you this feisty.

<smirk>

WIPO by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:05:45 AM EST
Joe Montana

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Whatever. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:14:41 AM EST
Brett Favre.

Bro by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:18:20 AM EST
How many SB rings does Brett Farve have?

How many does Joe Montana have?

That's a major QED my friend!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I don't know. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:20:26 AM EST
Eleventy-twelve?

Close by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:26:03 AM EST
You forgot to carry the one.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Good point. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:34:38 AM EST
So it's eleventy⅟̱twelve

Sorry Bob. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:56:11 AM EST
I wasn't talking about that funny US version of Rugby.

Well, duh! by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #30 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:08:06 AM EST
Of course Sven doesn't make decisions as good as Mourinho's, he's not paid anything like as much.

When I first looked at the C paragraph, I thought it said marriage, but it seems it only said manage.

As for news management, this post from Random Acts of Reality was interesting:

I arrived on station this morning to hear the news on the television that there had been fifty stabbings over the Bank holiday weekend*.

"Hmm", I thought, "A few more than normal, but hardly news".

Then I realised that they were talking about the whole country and not just London.

What they want to cover gets covered.

And Prescott does piss me off, with his old Labour thuggishness and arrogance, still evident in my local council, for example.

WIPO: Kevin Sheedy by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #37 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 06:43:26 AM EST

It's Zidane (or, at a stretch, Marco Van Basten). Any other choice is just fucking around, or the biased selection of an Arsenal supporter.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
You deserve a 6... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #41 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 01:00:20 PM EST
for reading my mind.

I was thinking about this by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #44 Fri Jun 02, 2006 at 12:12:51 AM EST

You could also make strong cases for Roy Keane, Giggs, Bergkamp, Maldini, Nesta, Adams, Schmeichel, Hagi, Stoichkov, Shevchenko, Aimar, Cantona, Zola, Canizares, Batistuta, Bebetto, Buffon and a whole lot more. It'd still be fucking-around, though; it's Zidane.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Croquet by dmg (2.00 / 0) #40 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 11:06:27 AM EST
I am proper fucked off crouqet is the headline news rather than dubious policy.

Dude, there's a very obvious reason for that...

Still, once the USian troops have been back to the classroom, we can all stop worrying about it.
Ain't no time for crossing over, from the PM to the dawn!
Maggotron is gonna rock them, Maggotron has got the bomb!

WIPO... by Metatone (4.00 / 2) #42 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 01:08:11 PM EST
For the non-attack minded...

Marcel Desailly.

European Cup Final. 1994.
One of the best performances I've ever seen.

Oh, incidentally, for the Spurs fans out there.

Mr Carrick isn't much on the old "tackle" bit of the DM position. He lacks that "Dunga" quality. Of course, the question is, given this, why did he pick Carrick instead of Parker?

In fairness... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #43 Thu Jun 01, 2006 at 11:27:41 PM EST
...Carrick isn't the strongest tackler in the world, but in his defense, he reads the game excellently and makes a huge number of interceptions or pokes his toe in to nick a ball before the need for a full blown tackle.

Parker is a good player and certainly has more of a case than say Jenas (as does Kevin Nolan). I think comparing Carrick and Parker, I would say Carricks distribution is stronger than Parkers although Parkers stronger defensively - maybe Carricks game is quite well suited to international football...?

Heh. by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #45 Fri Jun 02, 2006 at 08:15:13 AM EST
Carrick's game might be well suited to international football playing one of two DMs. Team him up with DeMichelis and you have combo much like we have in defence with Terry and Ferdinand.

Unfortunately, I think Sven is looking for someone who will sit as the DM while FFL and StevenG bomb forward.

Now, I'll admit Carrick can make some timely interventions, but I have to feel that once we're facing Ronaldinho, we'll be wanting someone who can do the full blown tackle thing.

Proper diary time. | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback