Print Story How do you stop a dog shagging your leg?
By nebbish (Tue May 09, 2006 at 03:32:37 AM EST) Books, football, world cup (all tags)
Pick it up and suck its cock.

Me

Had an ace weekend. Barbie Thursday night at a mate's who lives in a disused rooftop car park (don't ask). Went back Saturday night, ripped my arms to bits (slight exaggeration) pissed out of my head climbing on top of the old lift room at 6 in the morning so I could dance to the sunrise. There was a five storey drop just next to me. What a fucking idiot.

Went to see the Sultan's Elephant in town after work on Friday. Best view - just as I came into Trafalgar Square I looked up the Mall and saw it ambling towards me in the distance, surrounded by crowds. I hadn't expected it to be so huge, and so well made. This was a very, very cool event. Just wish I was a kid, it's the sort of magical thing that stays with you forever.

Association Soccer

Conflicting opinions on Sven's moment of madness naming various uncapped teenagers for the England squad. Personally I'm quite happy about it and broadly agree with this.

I think we need something unexpected with Rooney out and Owen still not fit. The choice is between giving an OK performance, or taking a big risk. I'd rather go for taking a risk - it's a game, after all. It's meant to be fun. I'm the eternal optimist though anyway.

Was speaking to an Argentinian bloke I know on Saturday night. I fancy watching the Argentina matches with him, and have come to the bizarre conclusion that if (sorry - when) England drop out I'll probably be following Argentina. Partly just to be awkward, but also because I realise I've always respected them. See poll.

And the first step in Leeds' promotion hopes has gone better than could be expected. Who knows, next year I could actually be watching these games in the pub rather than reading about them in the paper. Given up on the idea of forking out for Sky after the latest round of TV rights bidding, I could barely afford it at present prices.

Reading

Read Ice Station Zebra, which was entertaining enough I suppose but essentially shit. Tip for whodunit writers: probably best if you don't make the culprit the only character with any kind of colour, background and discernible features, it tends to give it away.

Much better was Urban Grimshaw and the Shed Crew by Bernard Hare, a social worker who left his job due to drink and drug problems, meets a group of homeless children who hang around near where he lives in Leeds, in the end rescuing them from pretty miserable lives.

I can't really give this book justice in a few paragraphs it has so much to say. From examining the lives of homeless ten year-old kids in east Leeds and how they support each other, to the exploitation they face (the way the girls prostitute themselves to adults for weed and alcohol is particularly distressing), to the strange fact that these kids are the intelligent ones who've escaped the abusive grind of the care system.

Each chapter is prefaced by a poem one of the kids has written in the comfort and safety of Hare's flat, which he lets them use as a base. These are the real gems in the book - from stuff about abuse to brilliantly weird rhymes about being on solvents, seeing buses turn into dogs and getting chased through car parks by purple giraffes.

The eye opener is the prevalence of child abuse in poor communities, something I've read about before in Dark Heart by Nick Davis and made me look at the Paulsgrove riots in a different light than most. Post-Thatcher there are a lot of kids with no protection whatsoever who are incredibly easy to exploit - and people do.

Couple this with the prevalence of abuse in care homes, and kids learning they can get money and drugs out of it, and it becomes common amongst the very poorest. A lack of trust in the police - who don't care anyway - leads to an almost necessary vigilanteism. Paedophilia is a thread that runs through the entire book, not least because Hare is accused of being a nonce himself - why else would he take on looking after all these feral children?

Anyway, best book I've read so far this year, and not just because it's about Leeds. Highly recommended.

< I'm Surrounded by Idiots | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How do you stop a dog shagging your leg? | 43 comments (43 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hey, thanks. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue May 09, 2006 at 03:39:25 AM EST
That was worse than aphrael's Congo screed, mostly because I'm eating and typing.

Mwuhahahah! [nt] by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 09, 2006 at 03:42:09 AM EST

WIPO by DullTrev (4.00 / 3) #3 Tue May 09, 2006 at 03:45:36 AM EST

Whoever is playing against France.

DFJ?
Even Germany? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue May 09, 2006 at 11:53:01 PM EST
Killer beeeees!

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
damn! by martingale (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed May 10, 2006 at 01:47:15 AM EST
Can I take my vote back? I appear to be disqualified from the poll.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
A bit of confusion here by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:25:29 AM EST
The Premiership TV rights being bidded for recently were for 2007-8 until 2010-11. Next season is still under the current system ie: Sky and PremPlus.
This new TV rights deal which was opened up to competition by the EU has actually been detrimental to the consumer due to excessive amount of money paid by the TV companies who can only recoup it through higher charges on their Pay TV subscriptions.

The football clubs are actually making noises about reducing ticket prices due to huge amount money they are going to receive through this deal. I'm somwhat sceptical to say the least.

Ah, thanks for that by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:33:43 AM EST
still can't afford it though :-) Yeah, the pure competition system is shit as it just boosts the prices. Plus there's the chance of another, more damaging ITV Digital-type debacle where a company overreaches themselves and takes a few clubs down with them when they go bankrupt.

Reducing ticket prices? Well, it's a possibility, attendence is down at some clubs so it would make sense for them. Probably not the larger clubs though.

It's political correctness gone mad!

Chelsea has frozen their prices by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:46:49 AM EST
This season and my season ticket went up only by £10 last season. Of course Roman's billions have more to do with it than TV money and Chelsea's ticket prices are still very high, although the half price for cup games deal is very good as Breaker can testify...

Haven't Chelsea by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:12:43 AM EST
Been losing money as well? Abramovitch can afford to see it as a long term investment. I'm sure he'll start recouping soon anyway, you're unstoppable.

It's political correctness gone mad!

Doubt he'll recoup his investment by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:47:32 AM EST
Think he's more aiming for breaking even year on year in the next few years. Put this way, even if we grew to the size of Man U, we'd never be able repay all the money he's put into  the club.

Uhhhh by Breaker (4.00 / 4) #6 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:38:47 AM EST
You really will have to explain the mate living on top of the carpark, that sounds mental.

Re: Thatcher - when will you lefties give over on that one?  Labour's been in power now 9 years too many now; you can cease blaming Thatcher as the Great Satan.  Labour have had more than enough time to sort out the welfare and care systems.

Would you also like to blame Thatcher for depriving our football players of their milk when kids, which has lead to this spate of metatarsal injuries?

Dunno by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:50:55 AM EST
How much the social changes in the 80s were down to Thatcher anyway Manufacturing, which provided northern working classes with fairly well paid jobs, has shed jobs in every Western country due to combination of automation and production moving abroad.

I think the difference here with the rest of Europ by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:15:34 AM EST
Is it happened faster and we got it over and done with quicker. Whether a short, sharp restructuring of the economy is a good thing, or whether you're best off slowing it down and cushioning people with social investment like Europe is, is the difference between the right and left in Europe IMHO.

It's political correctness gone mad!

I think it was more the roughshod riding over by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:24:21 AM EST
the miners unions that got the Labour party followers all riled up.  And even a right wing nutjob like myself feels that the way the government at the time treated the situation with the miners was shabby.

Re: Thatcher by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:57:51 AM EST
The book's set in the mid nineties, during the Major government. Probably should have mentioned that.

Otherwise I agree, although she did change our economy and society quite drastically, whether you agree with the results or not. Blair of course has continued with this.

Ah fair enough by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #18 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:28:13 AM EST
/switches off rabid attack mode.

Bliar has changed our economy to be dependent on massive state funding to prop up growth.  Gordon "Texture Like Sun" Brown is either going to have his fingers crossed to ride the next wave of international growth and scale it back, or he's in danger of spiralling taxation dependency beyond all reasonable levels.

As an aside, that dog joke still has me laughing though.

Built on debt as well by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:33:27 AM EST
At the consumer level, which is another worry.

Did you see the stuff in the paper about organised fraud gangs? Another black hole for our taxes... Unfortunately the bloody link's broken, but apparently they're costing us 5 billion a year.

More grist by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #36 Tue May 09, 2006 at 11:48:31 PM EST
For the pro ID card folk then.  Only ID cards, for businesses!  That'll work, for sure.

Would you like to propose... by Metatone (4.00 / 2) #33 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:52:41 PM EST
an alternative economic model that is actually in successful action in the world today?

Hints:

The US is using the Brown model, Europe is sclerotic as is Japan. China and India are running a system off a huge resevoir of cheap labour that we're unlikely to match.

I guess there's always the South Korean model, but you don't seem all that hot on government investment in industry...

Much of South Korea is still impoverished though by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #38 Tue May 09, 2006 at 11:55:36 PM EST
They just get to play Starcraft over really fast broadband, kekekeke.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
What more do people need? by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #42 Wed May 10, 2006 at 07:16:59 AM EST
It didn't look too bad to me. Richer than Greece, say.

Oh, car park by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:07:22 AM EST
Bit of a long story. His landlord owns a big paint shop on the ground floor, there used to be a lift going up to the roof which served as a car park but it got shut down, probably just for being so bloody wierd.

Anyway, the landlord, who is a corrupt so-and-so converted the old lift housing into a "flat" with a bit of MDF and rudimentary plumbing, and rents it out to my mate and another lad for an absolute pittance (I think it's something like 200 a month between them). They didn't have any heating or hot water all winter, but seem happy enough with it. It's a big car park so the parties are ace, as long as it doesn't rain.

The landlord has also let my mate, who's a chippie, build his own little condo on the roof. He's doing quite a good job. Don't think the landlord knows that the council offices are just opposite and they can see right onto the roof :-)

That by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:29:14 AM EST
Is fucking mental!  No hot water or heating though, that's pretty harsh.

Thay've got it now by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:37:59 AM EST
Just not last winter. You know, when they needed it.

Not sure what it'd be like if there was a fire. Not great, I expect. Otherwise I think it's pretty cool.

It's political correctness gone mad!

what do you think rent would be by 256 (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:48:24 AM EST
for a furriner with a prefab shed?
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
How long is a piece of string? by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:56:13 AM EST
Said friend is foreign though. Why, do you think he should rent it out?

It's political correctness gone mad!

no i was just considering my options by 256 (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue May 09, 2006 at 06:33:01 AM EST
for places to live next summer.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Heh by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue May 09, 2006 at 06:43:23 AM EST
I'll mention it :-)

It's political correctness gone mad!

Define Post-Thatcher please by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:43:02 AM EST

This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
I suppose by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:10:21 AM EST
I mean the time when we changed from the consensus, post-war Keynesian-ish economy to the moneterist model, which came about when Thatcher got in power in 1979. It's not a great way of putting it though - the same was happening in the States under Reagan.

WIPO: Cameroon by Rogerborg (4.00 / 4) #10 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:55:22 AM EST
I know they didn't qualify, but they're just so damn plucky that I still think they're in with a chance.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Good thing about the World Cup by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:08:20 AM EST
It's the only time you can refer to "those plucky Yanks" as well.

heh by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue May 09, 2006 at 03:23:45 PM EST
I'm sure... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:57:33 PM EST
Italy and the Czech Republic are quaking in their boots.

don't make me by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #43 Wed May 10, 2006 at 07:18:26 AM EST
whip out the animated gif of the american flag...

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

No denying you're good by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue May 09, 2006 at 11:24:17 PM EST
And you could go along way, but these things are relative - what other field do you know where the USA could be beaten by ANY European or South American nation?

wow by alprazolam (4.00 / 3) #29 Tue May 09, 2006 at 08:28:24 AM EST
I'm also a Cameroon fan. Used to wear a Cameroon ballcap around.

Voted for Brazil though. They play some beautiful soccer.

Canada is boycotting the World Cup by 256 (4.00 / 2) #22 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:45:36 AM EST
So I'll be following Mexico from day one. If they drop out, it will be Korea. Actually, it will be Mexico and Korea from day one. Living in Koreatown, going to the Soju-bangs for the games is just too much fun to miss.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
If Korea do well by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:54:12 AM EST
I'll follow them as well I think. It's great seeing a nation so fresh to football going so absolutely mental for it. Also the East End pub where I watched England play in the European Cup was full of Koreans cheering England, so I should return the compliment.

We are? by ShadowNode (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue May 09, 2006 at 10:16:20 AM EST
Are you sure we're not just ignoring it, like every other year?

not EXACTLY ignoring by 256 (4.00 / 2) #32 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:03:36 PM EST
from wikipedia:

The Canada men's national soccer team, overseen by the Canadian Soccer Association, has experienced little international success. In its first and only World Cup finals appearance to date in 1986, the team failed to score a goal and finished last.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni