Print Story Blah
By ucblockhead (Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:15:03 AM EST) diets, PSP, katamari (all tags)
I don't seem to be doing much.

If you want free time, don't buy any of the Katamari games.

Last week, I had a free hour and was in the mood to do some gaming. After spending a half of that hour trying to get three different games working with my hardware (games that were already installed, mind you) I finally had it. The next day I bought a PSP.

In other news, I curse Hulver for taking down the calendar so that none of you would know about the garage sale we had last weekend. Still, we made a couple dinners out, so it was worth the time sitting out in the good weather. I didn't manage to ditch either of the monitors we no longer want.

I am currently dieting, which sucks. I started at 231 ten days ago and hope to get to around 190.

The last serious diet I went off was in 2000. I was 262, into the "obese" range. It was the result of too much food and too little exercise. I'd been in shape in the past, but for years had just kinda let it all fall apart. In the course of seven months, I dropped 75 pounds using very straightforward "eat less, workout more". I kept it off for about two years. Then my wife got pregnant, and started eating massive amounts of food. Sympathy weight gains are certainly well known in the literature. I gained about 25 pounds during her pregnancy, putting me around 210 when my son was born. This was mostly due to food as I kept going pretty well with the exercise routine.

I had planned to cut that down when my son was born, but the opposite happened. Lack of time made both cooking well and exercising harder. To make matters worse, I injured my knee, making running daily impossible. As this was my preferred form of exercise, I've had troubles getting back to the same level. Also, additional stresses (work, home construction, chasing a toddler) had me eating more. Over the course of two years I crept up to 230, where I've been for the last year.

Worse, I've been suffering all the issues I suffer when my weight exceeds 220 and I am eating like crap. Heart burn. High blood pressure. General feeling like shit.

So I'm back on the weight drop plan. The goal is to be around 190 on my birthday (August 8th.)

The story so far:

4/29/2006 Saturday 231.5
4/30/2006 Sunday 230.5
5/1/2006 Monday 231
5/2/2006 Tuesday 230.5
5/3/2006 Wednesday 231
5/4/2006 Thursday 230.5
5/5/2006 Friday 229
5/6/2006 Saturday 228
5/7/2006 Sunday 229
5/8/2006 Monday 227.5
5/9/2006 Tuesday 227.5

It can be hard because I get into a viscious circle: when I diet, I get insomnia in the evening. Because I'm not getting to sleep until late, I have trouble getting up the next day in order to exercise.

Tonight, I meet a couple Husites for dinner, so the diet is partly off for a day.

< And a very merry Tuesday to you all | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Blah | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
a couple of Husites for dinner? by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:27:57 AM EST
My limit is one, although a few of us are rather scrawny, but unless you've got an enormous stomach one ought to fill up your entire family.

Good luck on the weight. One thing that helps me is packets of miso soup. A cup of hot soup in the afternoon helps give enough comfort that I'm not pecking all afternoon long.

But I hear you on the insomia. Usually I stay up late until ready to pass out so that I don't have any trouble going to sleep. That's probably not a good habit.

Cicero, The Republic
Yup by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:50:26 AM EST
I'm a big guy with a big appetite.

I have been trying these instant soups...soup seems to fill the stomach up.

If I stayed up until I passed out, I'd probably be up until 6 am many days.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Be careful with those by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue May 09, 2006 at 10:58:53 AM EST
Instant soups are usually little more than a salt lick.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Yeah, I know by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue May 09, 2006 at 12:54:02 PM EST
My blood pressure reads high when I am over 220...so is it better to avoid salt when it is high or to use whatever means helps me get down to 220? (The soups I eat for lunch are a bit less than 40% of the RDA of salt.)

My cholesterol is very low, so I figure I'm ok in the short run.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I don't know by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue May 09, 2006 at 01:12:22 PM EST
you'd have to ask your Dr., but mine always seems to think that high BP is something that needs immediate attention, so my guess is to lower the salt by whatever means. There are a few instant soups that aren't too bad w/r/t salt, but not many of them. Canned soups either. 40% RDA of salt in one item is very high. I was pointed to one brand that has a really good instant black bean soup that's low in salt, but I can't remember the name. It will come to me though.

While people with high cholesterol often have hypertension as well, the two aren't really related. Having one of the two within ranges doesn't insulate you from problems with the other.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Mine's "borderline" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue May 09, 2006 at 01:15:56 PM EST
I tend to waver back and forth over the "ok/not ok" line depending on the day.

I mention cholesterol in that I'm at low risk of a heart attack in the near future.

Despite the high salt content, I'm unlikely to go over 100% as my diet is pretty low salt by default.

My fear is that if the diet is too harsh, it won't work and given that every time I lose weight, my BP goes down to normal levels, it seems the best thing to do.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Whatever you think is best. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue May 09, 2006 at 02:30:16 PM EST
High BP is more related to stroke than to heart trouble.

I have so many numbers to watch, it's hard to keep up with them all.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Yeah, I know by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue May 09, 2006 at 02:34:27 PM EST
If it were higher, or I was older, or this wasn't just a short term thing...if I take the weight off and it doesn't go down, I'm doing the low-salt thing.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
neither of the husites in question by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 09, 2006 at 10:07:17 AM EST
I doubt I could run by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:37:09 AM EST
I ran through a cemetary last fall, I had shin splints for days.

Nowadays I use an elliptical (preferred), stepper or  exercise bike for aerobic exercise.

I've been in a gaming mood lately, but the nostalgic paper and cardboard sort, which take about an hour to setup, let alone play. Maybe nine year old and I will learn Victory in the Pacific.

me2 by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:53:29 AM EST
I mostly do the elliptical. My problem isn't shin splints but tendanitis. Anything with the legs causes it, but with the elliptical or bikes it stays at an exceptible level.

Just the other day I had the odd notion of trying to do web-based versions of some old board games. But I know myself enough to know that it'll never really happen.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

It's probably been done by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 09, 2006 at 10:05:44 AM EST
Teh VASSAL engine has a lot of boardgames ported to it, and there's an advanced squad leader for the computer, as well as the War Game Processor and the Cyber Board. boardgamegeek.con would have links, but I'm trying to find entertainment away from the computer.

Well by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 09, 2006 at 12:59:18 PM EST
My problem is that pretty much everyone I know who'd be into board games is nonlocal.

I'm working on the FoML though...he's almost gotten the rules to checkers down.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

You could always become one of those guys by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue May 09, 2006 at 02:50:33 PM EST
You know, one of those hang around the gaming store guys.

I'm getting tempted to go that route myself.

To drop boardgamegeek again, they have a locality search, you can find gamers in your ares using a google plugin.

Maybe we need a WLFC? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue May 09, 2006 at 09:37:14 AM EST
weight loss fun challenge? Or a BMIFC?
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
BMIFC - as seen in real life.. by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue May 09, 2006 at 12:55:20 PM EST
I do have an ongoing BMIFC with a mate, £50 for the one with the lower after 2 years (about a year left). To make it fair on him we also said another £50 for the one with the lower fat%.

That way if he actually looses the amount of weight he's talking about and I keep working out we both end up cashing out £0. If either diverges one of us pockets £100.

-- The revolution will not be televised.

How about a BFFC by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue May 09, 2006 at 01:14:52 PM EST
BMI is crap for some of us, but body fat works for everybody.

true true by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue May 09, 2006 at 11:34:42 PM EST
The problem with BFFC is that it doesn't lend it self to measuing very well. At least not in a competetive environment :-)
-- The revolution will not be televised.
insomnia from dieting by theantix (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 09, 2006 at 10:51:38 AM EST
is it because you are hungry and feel the twinges in your stomach, or something else?  If it's that, you might want to try taking iboprofen before bed because I've found that takes away that pain alright.

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.
Also Benadryl by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue May 09, 2006 at 10:59:18 AM EST
hard to say by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue May 09, 2006 at 12:56:10 PM EST
When I am hungry, I get antsy.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I assume you know this already by theantix (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue May 09, 2006 at 12:58:16 PM EST
but it's true what they say, drinking tonnes of water and avoiding caffeine really helps.

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.
yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue May 09, 2006 at 01:01:45 PM EST
But drinking lots of water before bed tends to defeat the purpose.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I am in the same boat by creo (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:51:10 PM EST
Less weight, but I think I am a fair bit shorter than you (I'm 5-10). Im 200 now, aiming medium term for 185, and eventually 175. This drops me to about a just right ratio of lean mass to fat.

I'm trying not to formally diet - more just "eat less crap". Sitting in the home office, this is not easy. Doing the gym, combination of weights and interval cardio 3 times a week, with a weekly step class (I'm the only guy), and aiming for a similar timeframe.

From a diet perspective I find if I have a large tuna salad for lunch, and 2 weetbix for breakfast, I can eat whatever I want in the evening meal as long as I don't have a biscuit or choc attack and lose weight without the exercise - so I am trying to keep to that with the gym program. I have found that I just need to up the size of the salad, and I am doing OK - for now. I still have my tea and biscuits in the afternoon, but that's it.

If I'm 185 and fitter by August, I will be happy. If I can hit and keep 170-175 by the end of the year - I will be pretty chuffed.

Cheers