Print Story I love Paris in the Springtime!
The B.A.D.TM

Leading the Intelligence community since 1973...

• I had a near brush with death over the weekend. I woke up Saturday with a runny nose, scratchy throat, aches and pains, hacking cough and random sneezing, all classic symptoms of cardiac arrest. Or so I thought. It turns out, thanks be to God, I just have a coldius comminus, or rather a common cold. Still, it was a pretty scary moment to wake up and look straight into the face of the grim reaper.
  • I made the 27,487 hour drive to smalltowne to visit my pops and grandpops. They don't know that I'm on the verge of death with this whole cholesterol thing and as such pops whipped up a nice dinner which contained nothing but 100% saturated fat. From the cheese -n- crackers ~y~ sausage hours de oeuvres to the cheesy broccoli and the cheesy scalloped potatoes to the cheese glazed ham to the giant hunk of cheesecake for dessert it was the absolute worst food someone with one foot in the grave could cram down their pie hole. Yet I did. I figure I should be okay though as my next blood test isn't until the end of July by which time all that stuff should be out of my system. Otherwise I've been eating very well.
  • I've got a pal who is a loser and doesn't have an MP3 player. From time to time he asks me to steal various songs from the Internet and burn them to an old-school audio CD for him. I'm down with that, just another chance to stick it to the ol man. So I burned him a disc with my new PC and the first 4 songs all play just swell, however the other 8 songs on it all skip. WTF??? I burned another one and the same thing happened only about 6 of the songs were skipping. WTF?? Is this a sign of burning the CD at a "too fast" rate of speed? Faulty CD's??? I never had a problem doing it with my loonux box so I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting.
  • For lunch today I had the chicken ~y~ bloccori tereyaki chicken sub on whole wheat from Subway. Hold the cheese, of course, and nothing but 100% no fat veggies crammed on it. Indeed, no more chineese runch's with pork fried rice for a while.
  • When I got back from Smallville I went to the 24 hour Huge Hawk Grocery Outlet and spent about $200 clams on fresh veggies and fruit and crap. Tonight I'm planning on having me a big ol pasta salad with lots of the aforementioned veggies stuck in it. For the life of me I don't know why veggies are so friggin expensive, they're fee to grow and you only have to pay some migrant worker $1.50 an hour to pick them, so they must be making a tonne of profit on those things. Bah.
< Xooberon | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I love Paris in the Springtime! | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
cheese by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon May 08, 2006 at 09:44:07 AM EST
mayo, butter, with out those things, what is there to live for, anyway ? Seems you're damned if you do, damned if you don't, bob.. So drink the red wine, take the branded, patented pink pill to lower your levels, after talking to your doctor, of course..

Anyway, sounds like you might have polished those CDs a bit too much on the grinder. I don't suggest taking any corrective course of action. Your poorly made CDs may actually benefit you in the long run, as your lame friend might stop mooching off you and get some waste-of-cash mp3 player.

He's poor by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 08, 2006 at 10:14:38 AM EST
And doesn't understand all this mp3 technology stuff, cause when he was a kid all they has was these Victrolas and that's all they ever needed.

re: Yeah, well, truth be told I'm not much of a food connoisseur anyways, so I don't mind not eating cheese and crap, it's just a pain to have to investigate every food prior to sticking it in your mouth. In the olden days (when I ate pretty well anyways) I never had to read a label, now I feel like Columbo everytime I sit down to eat.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

What sort of green marker did you use on the CDR? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon May 08, 2006 at 09:46:32 AM EST
You did use a green marker, right? They cut down on the laser reflections that make burning a quality CD hard.

Also, what was the source for the skipping tracks? If you're ripping them off an audio CD and you're not using EAC, you're an asshole.

Oh boy by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon May 08, 2006 at 10:03:55 AM EST
I know not of this green marker trick. I'm supposed to write with a green marker on the bottom of the CD prior to burning???

The files were all mp3's which I converted to wav files, just like I've done numerous times on my old loonux box. The files play fine as wav files on my PC.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

mp3s by PhysicsGenius (4.00 / 5) #3 Mon May 08, 2006 at 09:49:13 AM EST
The problem is compression. Mp3s already compress music (information) about 80 times. Cramming so many of them into a small space like your hard drive forces them to shrink even farther and then writing them onto a optical CD as mere photons compresses them yet again. You've created basically an informational black hole inside your CD player. The player can play the first few songs OK but as it begins to cross the event horizon into the hole, it becomes harder and harder for sound to escape. The pitch will drop until the speakers are emitting a perfectly low note for all eternity (or until you stop the CD, whichever comes first).

Don't compress so much and it should be fine.
Before replying, please remember that I have a PhD.

The Grim Reaper by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 08, 2006 at 10:05:32 AM EST
I saw the dude once ... and he scared the living shit out of me.  You are just never prepared to meet that guy in person.  Of course, I may have been hallucinating.  I was pretty sleep deprived at the time.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
Everytime by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon May 08, 2006 at 10:19:34 AM EST
I've had the skipping problems, I've purchased decent quality CDs and voila!  No more problems.  It's less to do with the OS than it is to do with the drive.  I have one drive (an old 54x thingy) that can burn scratched, faded, peanutbutter covered disks with no problem, and I have a new drive (dvd r/w + cdrw) that will only burn the nicest of nice blanks.

Get some "name brand" disks, and try, try again.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Audiophiles in the know by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon May 08, 2006 at 10:21:48 AM EST
(ie. Deadheads and other fans of live music) recommend looking for Made in Japan, over Taiwan. Kodak Gold were great too, but they don't make them anymore.

These are memorex discs by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon May 08, 2006 at 10:48:10 AM EST
And I'm down to the last few of them without ever having a problem until now.

I wasn't blaming Windows as much as pointing out that in my old environment I never had a problem, which is just another way of saying I'm using different software apps and different hardware.

The drive has been fine when burning data discs, this is the fist time I've tried to burn an audio CD. I think I'm going to ratchet down the speed to see if that takes care of it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

easy oickins by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon May 08, 2006 at 02:57:43 PM EST
sure Bob the immigrant picks the veggies for a buck two 98, but the truck driver who hauls them to Huge Hawk in Ohio ( where it's still to cold to grow anything outside ) wants 50 an hour both ways.

Blizzard of Death '06
Shit. by motty (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon May 08, 2006 at 07:18:18 PM EST
I did buy salad today but I forgot to eat it with my dinner.

Perhaps I'll eat it now.

Thanks for the heads up, Bob.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Bother by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue May 09, 2006 at 01:22:18 AM EST

(Tut Motty on the language) I bought some oranges last night, and they're all sitting on the kitchen table instead of two of them being in my lunch box.

Mind you, six shillings for an orange?!?!?! When I were a lad, etc....