Print Story Trekkin'
By Eveley (Sat May 06, 2006 at 09:24:01 AM EST) forest, hike, nature (all tags)

It seems like Winter have given spring a miss and gone straight into Summer. With the temperature at a comfortable twenty-two degrees outside in the late afternoon yesterday I decided to take a walk in the forest.

Pictures of nature, and stuff, inside. Also, a heap of rocks, the mysteries of which may never be answered.

I live on a small island on the south-eastern seaboard of Norway. It's a nice place, conveniently located only an hour and a half's drive from the capital. Although small, there are plenty of beaches and even more forest.

Like most people here I live more or less in the forest, having miles and miles of great hiking paths available as soon as I step out the door. So, in the wonderful weather yesterday I decided to visit our island's highest spot - at a whopping 78 meters above sea level.

I follow this road a couple hundred yards.

This short stretch of road is interspersed with a few summer houses.

This is deer and elk territory, and already here I saw a deer jump across the road. Mobile phone cameras are not the fastest though so I didn't get a picture. I took this one instead, which I thought made a nice motif.

I think it had been much better if the boat had been wood instead of plastic.

It is wonderful to enter the woods and hear nothing but birds calling their mates and insects buzzing about. Rays from the evening sun found their way through the treetops and created a magical haze. Some trees bear evidence of fighting a winter with heavy snow.

Another deer spotted me and ran barking into the woods, most likely warning her family about imminent threat.

When close to the top of the "mountain", if you walk a bit off the path and know where to look you can find a face carved in a tree. I think it's quite well done. It's been there for years, nobody knows who made it. Creepy.

Having reached the top you get to the mysterious heap of rocks.

This is viking country (our nearest town is over a thousand years old), and local folklore has it this heap, together with a smaller one a few meters away, is an ancient viking burial site. At least that's what I learned in school. Apparently the mountain is named after the local king Herkil, and he's the one presumed buried in the largest heap. It could also be just a large pile of rocks gathered by hikers over the years. I find the viking story much more exciting, but if this was a grave it's been plundered a long time ago.

Ah, the goal of the trip. Sit down, catch my breath, have a cup of coffee and gaze at the western vista.

Also, to the east.

< San Fran Crisco | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Trekkin' | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Tjome witch? by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat May 06, 2006 at 10:25:04 AM EST

re: Rocks.

very beautiful pictures. I love where you live. where are all of the little gnomes and forest pixies?

They only come out at dark! [n/t] by Eveley (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat May 06, 2006 at 11:39:23 AM EST

+1FP Wow by motty (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat May 06, 2006 at 12:40:39 PM EST
I'm sure there's a downside to living there but I can't imagine what it could possibly be.

Actually, now I think of it, I'm not so sure.

Amazing pictures. Thankyou.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

As the Wikipedia article say... by Eveley (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun May 07, 2006 at 04:59:08 AM EST
...but make seem so trivial, is that the ~4600 strong population grows to ~35000 in the summer. The island's regular population is a bit... well, xenophobic with regards to the "bathing tourists" as we call them. Come summer vacation, you can find pretty much everyone lined up at the seaboard waving their fists at the rich, snotty people from the capital; driving their fancy, much too expensive boats and showing no seamanship. I don't mind, though - the beaches fill up with beautiful women and laughing children, and people are in general more friendly in the summer. And the beer is too expensive. This is, after all, Norway.

Can you make your own beer? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun May 07, 2006 at 11:42:07 AM EST
It's usually much cheaper.

Those are lovely photos. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat May 06, 2006 at 01:25:11 PM EST
I'd love to be there on a day like today. Maybe not in the winter, though.

very nice by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat May 06, 2006 at 03:34:16 PM EST
reminds me a bit of Norhtern Minnesota (where it's hilly near lake superior).

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Sweet dude by ReverendDoctorGraves (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat May 06, 2006 at 07:14:29 PM EST
It looks like there is a machete weilding serial killer looking through the window of that outhouse.

Hide! by TurboThy (3.50 / 2) #9 Sun May 07, 2006 at 01:47:32 PM EST
Lol! +1 Obscure reference by Eveley (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun May 07, 2006 at 05:27:00 PM EST
Seriously, ROFLMAO!

It's a small world indeed. by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon May 08, 2006 at 01:01:36 AM EST
My parents first met at Hvasser. Isn't that right around the corner from where you are? Dad took me and my brother there the summer after our mother had died. After more than twenty years, I don't remember much of it, still it's funny what memories still are there and are slowly bubbling up now that I read your diary.

What a gorgeous place to live at.

Well, whaddayaknow! by Eveley (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon May 08, 2006 at 05:00:34 AM EST
Although I live pretty close to the northern tip it's only a (metric) mile and a half down to Hvasser in the southeast. I'm often there in the summer -- "Lilleskagen" is one of the best beaches on the island.

I seriously did not expect more than perhaps a couple of replies to this post, much less that someone actually knows the place :)

Trekkin' | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback