Print Story on visits
By clock (Wed May 31, 2006 at 05:34:43 AM EST) (all tags)
mom has come and gone.  she showed up last thursday and i dropped her off at the airport this morning.  it's always sad to see her go.

i have lived outside of my home state for a long time now.  my family like to tease me about how little i actually get back to the homeland.  but life goes how it goes and we each take our own path.  mine has led me away from there, but i always manage to find my way back.  since i can't do that as often as i'd like, the mountain has started coming to mohammed, so to speak.

mom used to drop in the day after thanksgiving and stay until a week from the following monday.  that was quite a visit.  add to that about 11 days in july and that was nearly a month of mom every year.  that works well for me.  she gets to see that i'm ok (or that i am now...more on that in a minute) and i get to spend some time remembering why it was that i left home.

this visit was different.  mom was checking things out.  she's been leary of this change that i've made.  moving down here made her itch and the idea of a new woman in my life was also not a welcome thought.  let's face it, she didn't like much about my new life plan despite how happy i told her i was.

and then there's stacky.  mom didn't dig the ex.  mom never digs the women that my brother and i pick.  they're all evil harpies hell-bent on stealing her babies.  or something.  as it turns out, according to mom, stacky is good stuff!

on the drive to the airport, she finally let it slip.

you know how we tell you that you're [clock] 150% of the time?  well, [stacky] is [stacky] 150% of the time.

she also mentioned that she's quite happy that we do things together.  our hobbies and passtimes align.  we cook together.  we share responsibilities.  all of the things a mom might want to see.

but i'm still paranoid.

yesterday my mom and stacky's mom went to lunch.  sounds simple enough.  but they sat and talked for 4 hours.  what in the fuck can two women whose only common thread is "our kids are crazy" have to talk about for 4 hours.  i mean, stacky's mom has never met a stranger and my mom can smalltalk with the best of them, but damn!  it just seems like a little much.  i'll have to ask my brother.

so it was sad to see mom fly away.  she'll come back.  and we'll be up there for turkey day (my best guess).  but she likes stacky.  and stacky likes her.  and the families are getting along nicely.  i guess i couldn't ask for much more.  at this particular time in my life, i'm not tempted to.  i'm a lucky bastard.  and i've got no complaints.

< Last Day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on visits | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What they talked about... by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed May 31, 2006 at 05:52:51 AM EST
Is in all likeliness typical "Mom" things. Ie, "Did you kid ever do $StupidThing?" "Oh, yes. And then they did $StupiderThing to top it off." At which point they laugh for five minutes at the stupid things you both did as kids. Or young adults. Or more recently.

As far as I have been able to decepher this is some sort of special "Mom code", only spoken by Moms to other Moms to feel each other out. On occasion you can intercept some of the code in plaintext, but it won't do you much good. It'll have something to do with an even so embarrasing that you'll end up having to destroy the plaintext out of a sense of self-preservation.

mom was fun by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed May 31, 2006 at 05:59:13 AM EST
although i think i'll call my mom right now and see what she says.....

moms and distance by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed May 31, 2006 at 06:26:12 AM EST
The best thing that ever happened to the relationship I share with my mom is that she moved from the midwest to the left coast. She visits two or three times per year. She stays, we have fun. She leaves. We cry. But most importantly, we still get along. The distance helps us keep boundaries and from falling into old patterns of behavior that used to drive us to be all hard edges to each other.

As for Stacky and your mom, chances are that they were hatching a diabolical plot. Run while you can.

Cicero, The Republic
Even worse by FlightTest (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed May 31, 2006 at 07:12:21 AM EST

It wasn't Stacky & clock's mom, it was Stacky's mom & clock's mom. He's DOOOOOOOOOMMMMED I tell you, DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED.

And by DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED, I mean, he'll live happily ever after.

HOLY COW!!! THAT IS TEH WORST!!! by lm (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed May 31, 2006 at 07:24:18 AM EST
And it will also teach me to stop posting before my third cup of coffee after I stay up far too late because I have to babysit our server down in Houston while it reboots.

Cicero, The Republic
Yeah, I almost pooped myself when I read that! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed May 31, 2006 at 12:24:24 PM EST

I had a similar problem with my- by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed May 31, 2006 at 06:51:05 AM EST
No, actually, wait, I don't in general recall giving a high flying fuck what my mother thinks about anything since I was about four years old.  Perhaps you could maybe go bowling or buy a firearm or something to make you feel less totally pussy whipped.  Stacky, make him do that!

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
never got over being weaned, huh? by garlic (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed May 31, 2006 at 10:11:39 AM EST

on visits | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback