Print Story GERMANY WERE TEH ROBBED
Music
By Rogerborg (Sun May 21, 2006 at 12:49:53 AM EST) Eurovision, vagina full of trapped centipedes, house market (all tags)
<Eurovision rant>Finnish metal goblins are not as outre as German-Yank Country.</Eurovision rant>

Poll ------------------------->

Hmm, humourously self deprecating Germans.  What's next?  A polite Frenchman?

I have a package waiting for me to collect at the Royal Post.  Shivering in antici

A House of Commons inquiry into car-making in the UK is to look at the reasons why some companies thrive while others such as MG Rover collapse.

Why are we paying politicans to tell us that when 75% of your model range is 20 years old and/or crap to begin with, that you're not on the success vector?  After that, can they look into why rancid meat tastes bad?

Old House is finally on the market, having had shoes removed, leaving only shoebox sized structure to woo viewers.  Agent (who has not to date given me $A_DISEASE) reckons it'll go for £105K, or about 79 million US dollars.  That's where he's set his fee hike point anyway.  Farmgirl and I feel that this is optimistic, but it's his commission to lose.

He claims that the market is such that even having jet engines tested next door is merely a ding, and indeed a domestile right down by the factory gates has just sold.

Brother Borg put his 3 bedroom Glasgownian semi on the market, for offers over £155K (392 million USD).  Six days later, after 30+ viewings, he accepted £208K (827 million USD) for it.

Something has to give.  This is It's a Knockout bonkers.

I have a gas hob now for the first time.  I didn't know.  I didn't know.  Farmgirl fears it though.  Fire burns, apparently.

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction requires you to keep your knees together as much as possible.

I just thought I'd share that with you.  I mean, we're all friends here, right?

pation.

< romancing the fifth kingdom | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
GERMANY WERE TEH ROBBED | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Herring from Surrey writes ... by Herring (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun May 21, 2006 at 01:16:06 AM EST
You think your house prices are silly, people will apparently pay £350,000 (1.2 billion USD) for a 3 bed semi around here where there's no water, no nurses and far too many wankers in SUVs.

Once Mrs. H. has passed her teacher training, the idea of moving in the general direction of away is quite appealing.

Still, something is clearly badly askew. How can the average house price be 8+ times the average salary? How does that work then? Where is the money coming from for people to buy houses? I don't understand.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Simple by idiot boy (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun May 21, 2006 at 07:50:20 AM EST
They're not actually paying for them. The number of people I know taking out interest only mortgages is scary.

Still. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Buy a house now. Pray that in 25 years you'll have enough cash to actually pay for it.

That seems to be the way by Herring (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun May 21, 2006 at 10:33:16 AM EST
However, I would rather that useful people like teachers and nurses could afford houses around here. And that I could afford a much bigger house. As it is, I could currently (legitimately) afford to get a mortgage which would buy 40% of my current house.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I'd have a think about that by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon May 22, 2006 at 12:03:34 AM EST
The situation can't continue, and there's a big list of reasons why (house building programme in the south east, big swathes of northern cities lying empty whilst an economic renaissance is on its way, the fact that it's absolutely fucking ridiculous) - I don't think it's a good time to buy right now.

Mind you, I've been expecting a crash for years and it hasn't happened.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

German act was very good by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #2 Sun May 21, 2006 at 01:26:51 AM EST
But that said, the Fins were surprisingly good too; I don't feel too affronted that they won.

And strangely I rather liked the Lithuanian entry.  I thought it was going to be one big shit joke when I heard the "We are the winners...of Eurovision" bit a while back, but on the night it was actually really quite good.

And who was the acapella entry that did the beatbox/barbershop thing?  They were quite good for originality.

Latvia by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #3 Sun May 21, 2006 at 01:38:46 AM EST

Were the acappella bunch. I think the Baltics have got the hang of the contest now, even Estonia with a "we can't afford to win again just yet" entry.

Lithuania should have got another ten points. Even if only because I had a couple of quid on them finishing in the top 4 at 15-1.

And curse Monaco for giving Malta a point. That lost me the nul point bet...

And did you know Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy wrote My Lovely Horse?

That book/puppet thing was creepy by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun May 21, 2006 at 09:09:00 AM EST
If they'd just put that on stage, I think they may have swung it.

Speaking of which, the pre-voting act was superb.  Giant puppet people.  I can't remember Wogan ever being rendered speechlesss before.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Latvia entry by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #19 Sun May 21, 2006 at 11:55:46 PM EST
Awful/genius, which is what Eurovision is all about.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Voting should be delayed by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun May 21, 2006 at 09:49:59 PM EST
I mean, which song can't you get out of your head today?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Lithuanian entry by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #18 Sun May 21, 2006 at 11:54:31 PM EST
God, that was brilliant. Especially when he did that crazy "dance" to the fiddler.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

We were fond of by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #21 Mon May 22, 2006 at 12:05:55 AM EST
The pseudo-trumpet bit.  Kinda hard to explain - you either know what I'm talking about or you don't.

Or, I have no doubt, you will be able to find out in short order through the hallowed YouTube.

Missed that by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon May 22, 2006 at 12:19:58 AM EST
Off I go...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

How odd... by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon May 22, 2006 at 12:41:26 AM EST
I've gone onto YouTube and unsurprisingly found the entry.

I've made the following notes of interest while rewatching it:

1:22 - Megaphone
1:35 - I think you know
1:45 - FACE!  FACEFACEFACE!

But...no pseudo-trumpet!  Now I was pretty trashed when I watched it, but I'm fairly sure I didn't imagine it.  I am now mightily confused.

I'm not sure 1:34 was my favourite face in that. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon May 22, 2006 at 03:52:16 AM EST
But I highly enjoyed the whole video.

All I can assume by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon May 22, 2006 at 12:50:14 AM EST
Is that I was confusing it with another song.  But I can't think of any entries that are sufficiently comedy to have pulled it off.

I shall have to ask some friends who were a little less impaired than I.

Wondered why I couldn't remember it by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon May 22, 2006 at 01:14:20 AM EST
Unusually, I was sober and very attentive.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Here we are! by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #26 Mon May 22, 2006 at 02:09:28 AM EST
Quite obvious really - where are you going to find a pseudo-trumpet except an acapella entry?  Video here, notes below:

0:11 - *giggle* sounds a bit like "fuck"
1:33 - Foot slide!
2:18 - The trumpet bit.

Wonderful by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #29 Mon May 22, 2006 at 04:08:32 AM EST
It's grown on me that tune. I'm going to hunt down the video from the night where he dances with that stupid robot puppet.

God, I can see myself buying the DVD this year.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Damn straight by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #30 Mon May 22, 2006 at 04:31:05 AM EST
Best competition in ages.

I can't remember who was responsible for that puppet thing - I'm sure it was pretty early on though.  I found it evoked memories of Jake The Peg, my brother was more set on Viz's Tinribs.

It was the same guys by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon May 22, 2006 at 04:38:38 AM EST
They were dressed in white on the night, that video must have been recorded before the contest.

You're right, it was the best Eurovision in years - it's come of age I think and put its tongue in its cheek. <controversial>Just as we finally enter a catchy pop song that follows the old Eurovision ethos</controversial>

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Rock and Roll Angels, by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun May 21, 2006 at 05:35:07 AM EST
Angels, ROCK HALLELUJAH!!!!

----
i wish they'd make hitler toilet paper
-mns

ZOMBIE CHEERLEADERS! by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun May 21, 2006 at 02:29:25 PM EST
The walls come down like thunder
The rocks about to roll
It's The Arockalypse
Now bare your soul

The video, while lacking in polish at points, is great fun. I like to think that my subject line says it all.

On the day of Rockoning
It's who dares, wins

105k pounds? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun May 21, 2006 at 06:35:25 AM EST
That would get you a one bedroom in Cali (though a near mansion in Rochester, perhaps a 5 bedroom, three bathroom, three car garage type dealie).

Check again by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun May 21, 2006 at 09:14:27 AM EST
The way your currency is going, I may see what the commute from Bel-Air is like.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
1 bedroom by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun May 21, 2006 at 09:27:00 AM EST
A 730 sq ft one bedroom house down the street from me went for $495,000. (£263k according to google.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Oh for fuck's sake by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue May 23, 2006 at 07:57:13 AM EST
The 150sq foot studio flat next door to mine just went for £200k.

Just not fair.

I carn't type by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue May 23, 2006 at 07:58:25 AM EST
250sq foot, but, still, gah!

You'd better go on and pick up by calla (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun May 21, 2006 at 07:41:43 AM EST
your package. You need some cheering up.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Oh, I will, I will by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun May 21, 2006 at 09:15:02 AM EST
After I've allowed enough time for anything in it to... hatch.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Have not seen the eurovision thing but by johnny (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun May 21, 2006 at 08:00:54 AM EST
I have seen pictures of Lordi (Lordi, Lordi, Lordi! (say it in blackface if you want to)).  On that basis alone I aprove of their winning the Eurotrash vote.  Why, it's almost enough to send me on a roots tour.

That Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction sounds awful. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun May 21, 2006 at 08:03:03 AM EST
I hope no one we know has it.

Nobody worth mentioning by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun May 21, 2006 at 09:18:41 AM EST
Although one might imagine that it would tend to encourage a certain degree of experimentation to find the most comfortable positions for common household tasks like washing, cooking and taking one up the... stairs.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Finnish Band by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon May 22, 2006 at 03:51:34 AM EST
What, you don't like GWAR?

---------------