Print Story Wow.
Food
By calla (Wed May 17, 2006 at 06:14:29 PM EST) curry, recipes, dinner (all tags)
Dinner was amazing. Super easy and great tasting.

Curried Chicken

3 tbls yellow curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbls vegetable oil (I used sesame)
1 white onion
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 lb skinless boneless chicken
1 small head cauliflower - chopped
1 (14 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Heat skillet (medium) and add curry powder and ginger. Heat for one min.

Add oil, onions, and garlic - cook until tender.

Add chicken and cook 10 mins. or until juice runs clear.

Add cauliflower and pour coconut milk & chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.

Reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 mins.

< Charles Ng, American Hero | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Wow. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Same here. by chuckles (4.00 / 5) #1 Wed May 17, 2006 at 10:05:54 PM EST
I made a grilled cheese sandwich.

What kind of bread? by calla (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 18, 2006 at 02:51:11 PM EST
Focaccia bread by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu May 18, 2006 at 09:20:36 PM EST
with aged Camembert cheese, grilled in butter I churned myself from the milk of free-range alpacas.

I thought you were a veggie hippy? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #2 Thu May 18, 2006 at 01:34:27 AM EST
Are you one of those "nothing with horns or a saddle" vegetarians?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
No. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu May 18, 2006 at 03:53:21 AM EST
She's a "cook two versions of this dish" vegetarian. Truly, a domestic icon.

Wow, that's two more than by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu May 18, 2006 at 05:21:57 AM EST
eh, never mind.  I'd like to get a portion of something tonight.

Have you explained that the Beardy Sky Giant's covenant with Noah is a command, not an option?  Frankly I don't see how you can be a real bible thumper until you've made a concerted effort to eat at least one of every moving thing that liveth.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Who's thumpin' bibles now? by calla (4.00 / 2) #12 Thu May 18, 2006 at 02:54:17 PM EST
Thank the crazy Beardy Sky Giant that my bible thumpin' days are over.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

"hippy"? by calla (4.00 / 2) #13 Thu May 18, 2006 at 02:56:36 PM EST
F@#kin' worthless, goddamned wastes of flesh.

I am not a hippie.

F@#k. Did I just bite?

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

easy+vegatable oil+great tasting by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu May 18, 2006 at 02:10:48 AM EST
is always good!

But you are a dude. by calla (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu May 18, 2006 at 03:01:28 PM EST
shouldn't your equation be

easy+vegetable oil+seared flesh+great tasting

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Seeing where I was coming from with that comment by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu May 18, 2006 at 07:36:31 PM EST
I find your reply mildly disturbing.

If it were the dude equation it would be dead animal flesh+fire+beer = fucking awesome.

But I was thinking about boobs.

Easy and great tasting. by BlueOregon (4.00 / 4) #4 Thu May 18, 2006 at 02:29:00 AM EST

The curried, chicken, too.

Actually, now I'll have to head down to the local Asian market and pick up cheap coconut milk. Thanks for the recipe/reminder.

NP by calla (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu May 18, 2006 at 03:03:31 PM EST
I need to find more easy & good meals. Next one the kids had better try at least.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

I like to by blixco (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu May 18, 2006 at 03:14:52 AM EST
add the oil, then the curry.  Most curry powders from a bottle are already pretty old and dry, and tend toward bitter when toasted.  Simmered in oil, though, they still get aromatic without going all wonky.

Damn fine, though.  Some rice + coconut milk and a tall ice cold beer would be the perfect thing with it.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I didn't notice bitter spices, by calla (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu May 18, 2006 at 03:05:51 PM EST
but I added the sesame oil soon after I tossed the spices in the skillet.

Next time I cook curry - I'll remember to grab a beer. Thanks.

"Are Linux chicks worth it?" fencepost

Sounds yummy... by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu May 18, 2006 at 05:22:20 AM EST
Living where you do I'm sure you can get great curry powder but if not my favorite is from Penzey's.

possible improvements: by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu May 18, 2006 at 06:31:40 AM EST
something other than 'yellow' curry powder. Might I suggest something from Penzeys ?

Peanut oil does very well too.

Red/yellow/orange pepper also cooks up well. Diced/sliced or a can of such, drained, tomatoes also add good flavor.

Simmer for 30 minutes ? Isn't the cauliflower mush by then ?

Nope. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu May 18, 2006 at 10:13:14 AM EST
In fact, I'm still eating it, right now.

If you enjoyed that by dmg (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu May 18, 2006 at 03:57:41 PM EST
May I recommend dmg's spicy chilli-lemon chicken with toasted cashews?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
You had me at curry . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu May 18, 2006 at 04:56:21 PM EST
. . . but you lost me at ginger. Blech! I can't stand that ginger stuff, and the coconut . . . coconuts should just be eaten straight like god intended, no need to be mixin'.

See, this is the problem I have with most curry dishes I can order in a restaurant - they put in OTHER stuff that I don't like. Why must every curry dish also have ginger, coconut or peppers (absent in your recipe)in it? Why is life so cruel?!?

Meh. I'll just keep on making those curried chicken dishes at home, I guess . . .

Wow. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback