Print Story Addressing the critics
By Merekat (Tue May 16, 2006 at 03:02:47 AM EST) (all tags)
As you may know by now, The Fall and Rise of Ed Hulver is mine.

It took me 35 minutes in my lunchbreak, was not re-read before posting and is the first piece of fiction I've written since 1997, lies in diaries notwithstanding. I am pleased with it in the sense that I am pleased I managed to produce it in the first place and amused and vaguely flattered that 5 of you liked it enough to vote for it. And now, the responses.

kellnerin - Good title, good opening; I wasn't feeling the ending.
response - Probably because when I started typing I didn't have an ending.

ana - ummmkaaay... I've been at trade shows, and it captures the atmosphere nicely.
response - I'm intrigued about 'ummmmmkaaay'. And I quite like peoplewatching at tradeshows.

yicky yacky - More mid-life crises from the tertiary services sector. No; the blue streak isn't important; it's hollow, shallow; it's a token. The state of mind, on the other hand, is important. Suspect the author is entering a traditionally transitional period age-wise and wants to persist with unnecessary illusions. A philosophical, more than writing-skill, observation (the writing was excellent), but intent is everything. Buy a skateboard."
response - Thank you for paying so much attention. You made my favourite comment. While the author does ocassionally get twitchy about turning 30 with no groundbreaking achievements behind her, mostly she is perfectly happy in her tertiary services job. And already has roller skates. She does know a lot of wannabe hippies.

aphrael - Is there a plot? Is there character development? Is this a story? (and not even retyped for me!)
response - harsh. probably fair. Plots aren't my strong point. lack of character development was part of the point.

persimmon - Fun to read, but not much of a story. Crappy dialogue formatting
response - guilty as charged. Fun was what I was aiming for so thankyou.

Did anyone figure I wrote it while it was anonymous or am I just too anonymous for a guess?

< A sudden wave of sympathy for my parents | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Addressing the critics | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
my comment by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue May 16, 2006 at 03:29:29 AM EST
on your story applies equally to my own, for the same reasons. Though I spent much longer writing mine, so I have less of an excuse. But yeah, the "F" in "WFC" stands for "Fun," so as long as fun was had, that's all that counts.

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."
As mentioned by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 16, 2006 at 03:32:37 AM EST

I didn't dislike your piece at all and thought the writing was superb. My issue was completely tangential, in that I see too many of my friends looking to solve a lingering sense of neo-mid-life ennui by engaging in [what I consider to be] essentially futile gestures. This is backed-up by hearsay evidence in the sense that the ennui always returns within three weeks of the person having said tattoo, piercing, dyed hair etc., except somehow the ennui has mutated slightly into a more individualistic and special thing - ennui with a pierced nose - instead of being the same ennui (perish the thought!) that Garry in accounts with the 2.4 kids is feeling.

Note that I'm not talking about people who've wanted those things for ages and have simply got-around-to-it now; that's a different thing, and good luck to them.

If anything, your writing was too good in that I felt it was proposing a false solution in a dangerously convincing and appealling manner. On the one hand, it was the localized and well-told tale of Ed Hulver's leprechaun-dressed catharsis. On the other, it could be read as being somehow knowingly prescriptive - and it was that angle which jarred with me. As I mentioned, an issue only tenuously and tangentially related to the actual story.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Ummmmkaaay... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue May 16, 2006 at 04:22:21 AM EST
was intended in the sense of "well, this is different." Quite unique among the offerings. And no, I had no idea it was you.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

heh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 16, 2006 at 04:27:43 AM EST
I did mention I'd been having trouble with the leprechauns.

Apropos to nothing. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 16, 2006 at 04:45:00 AM EST
Back before I read HuSi, I used to be a MegaTokyo fanboy. Now whenever I see your name in a diary my first thought is of Sad Girls In Snow.

I just went looking for that image out of curiousity, and after looking at your web site came to the realization that I used to have a different piece of art that you made as my desktop background (Broken Miho) years ago.

(Queue it's a small world afterall)

Vive le Montréal libre.

apropos to nothing indeed by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 16, 2006 at 05:09:45 AM EST
You refer to another more talented Merekat than I. This has happened before.

Oh. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 16, 2006 at 10:06:59 AM EST
Nevermind then -- the world is a big and scary place.

Vive le Montréal libre.