Print Story Right Here in Front of You
By Christopher Robin was Murdered (Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:09:14 AM EST) (all tags)
Burn those bridges when you get to them. The only movie that features a unicorn and, yet, maintains its noir cool.

The End of Robin?

Last Thursday, Robin announced to the cube-de-sac that she was leaving the company. She was, she said, heading up to Boston. The people there were nicer, the offices were nicer, and she the new position would free her from all the petty tasks, currently inflicted upon her, that are beneath her stature: like, say, her work.
    When asked if she had told her boss already, she answered no. She did not, she said, already have the job. But she was confident that an offer was in the works.

Friday, she blew off her work and told her boss, to his face, that she hated writing marketing copy (a major responsibility of a marketer like her) and would appreciate it if he would assigning her writing duties. She explained that she was more of an idea person and the company would be better served if she worked less and dedicated more of her efforts toward strategic planning.
    To be fair, I believe the company would be better served by her working less. I'm less certain about all that other stuff.
    The PtB fragment that is her boss told her that writing was pretty much her entire job and if she really hated, she might want to consider other work.
    With a dramatic flourish, she announced that she would do just that.
    There was no offer on Thursday.

There were no offer messages over the weekend.

Robin came in late Monday. She told several sales staff members that she'd be happy when she didn't have to see their faces again. She called the receptionist "chunky." She confessed to the cube-de-sac that she's letting all her work side. "Soon," she said. "It won't be my problem."
    She missed not one, but two meetings because she was out shopping.
    There was no offer on Monday.
    When asked if she expected an offer, she said, "They want to interview some internal candidate. I don't know, people. These people. They just crawl out of the woodwork."

I got word Monday, from an ex-coworker in firm Robin is attempting to join, that an ex-coworker of Robin's was in the HR department and recognized the name. HR is no trying to convince the marketing department that they don't want Robin. They're frantically offering alternative candidates.

I suggested to Robin that she might not want to treat this as a lock.
    "Whatever," she said, dismissively.

Movie

Watched Blade Runner last night. I don't know how many times I've seen that flick, and I still love it. Interestingly, some of the elements that seemed futuristic in the '80s, and then dated the film in the '90s, seem less jarring in the '00s. The Vangelis soundtrack, for example. Though still dangerously close to the cheesy side of things, it seems less dated now than it did ten years ago due to the revival of post-punk, electronic, droning music. I'm certain some indie band could make a respectable go at the whole band thing these days doing nothing more than creating Vangelis like electro-drones.

Other things aren't just dated, but induce nostalgia. In 2019, Deckard uses a pay phone. Nobody has cell phones. You can also see several shots of electronic billboards for Pan Am and Atari.

Still, these things are more smile inducing rather than groan inducing. The movie is still every bit as good as I remember it.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Right Here in Front of You | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If Robin does actually move to Boston... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:21:00 AM EST
can you give those of us here enough warning that we can ensure that there is no possible way our paths would ever cross with hers? I'm afraid I'd be one of those people on the train who she'd decide was the antichrist - or, worse yet, who she'd fall madly in love with. ::shudders::
I've got more than one membership to more than one club, and I owe my life to the people that I love. - Ani DiFranco
I'll Be Sure to Alert You. n/t by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:48:52 AM EST

I am intrigued by your use of the word 'see' by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:24:46 AM EST
in connection with Blade Runner. Maybe I had a bad copy, but when I watched it the movie consisted of 117 minutes blank, black screen. After turning the sound all the way up I was able to hear a low mumbling sound that may have been speech.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
True Fact! by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:27:15 AM EST
That droning you heard actually syncs up perfectly with the Wizard of Oz. Start the drone when the MGM lion roars.

Oh my by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:25:40 AM EST
since humble pie is not in the pantry of Robin, will the pTb ignore her insubordination and lack of output, keeping her on the payroll to avoid the headache of firing her ? Or would Robin just up and quit instead, if the Bah-Stahn offer doesn't come ?

Blade Runner -- which version ? I saw there's a few,  including one w/o Ford's narration. Movie would lose a lot, I think, w/o the narration. Couldn't watch it as a kid -- always put me to sleep (like 2001), but enjoy it now. I prefer gritty distopia type sci-fi.

Non-Narration Version by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:41:14 AM EST
I would have to say that the director's cut, without the Ford narration, is the better film; but that I'll always have a soft spot for the original theatrical release version for the following reasons:
  1. It was the first version I saw. I saw it when I was in junior high and it blew me away. Even though the re-release was better in many ways, what it'll never have going for it was the shock and power that the old version had when it first hit me.
  2. I suspect that, on some level, I only follow the story of the new version so well because I saw the narration version. If I had been asked to keep up with the story without the help of the narration the first time I saw it, I think I would have been lost and confused. This would have bored the crap out of me too. Now I think it is nice to not have the narration, but only because I no longer need it.
  3. I've seen a whole boat-load of criticism about how much the narration sucks and a lot of it seems overblown to me. All things considered, the narration is fairly limited and it connects in well with the noir feel of the flick. Narration was an important noir convention and it never felt tacked on to me.
RE Robin: she seems much more sedate about the whole thing now. I'm thinking she might have got her no and is looking to let her previous a-holeish behavior blow over.

i saw the director's cut first and prefer it by 256 (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:57:23 AM EST

i recall finding it a little hard to follow at certain points. but in the theatrical release the narration at certain points was so badly written and superfluous that i think a little bit of disorientation is a reasonable price to pay.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
When I Was Young, It Didn't Seem So. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:02:59 AM EST
When I first saw it, I was too mesmerized to notice problems in the narration (and, in fact, I kind of miss some of the things the narration tells us: like "skin job" being a slur and not standard slang or the fact that Olmos's character is speaking a pidgin language derived from all the languages spoken in LA).

I tend to agree with you now, though.

large swaths of the narration didn't bother me by 256 (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:11:25 AM EST
but there are at least a few occasions where Deckard's monologue either spells out things that are more powerful if left simply implied.

and worse, right near the start there is at least one scene where the narration is nothing but a completely superfluous summary of a conversation that just happened on-screen. as though he's recapping for you in case you had to go piss out your orange soda.

in those cases it is abundantly clear that they are just trying to fill up the soundscape during the long moody establishing shots.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

i never had a problem with the narration by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 16, 2006 at 07:03:49 AM EST
True by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue May 16, 2006 at 07:57:46 AM EST
But since I grew up with the whole "who knows how much time we have ending" I can't help but feel that the director's cut just stops before we get there.

As I said, I prefer the director's cut, but I'll always have a soft spot for the original.

Bladerunner by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed May 17, 2006 at 05:17:47 AM EST
I should try the narrated version again some time. I don't think I've seen it since seeing the Director's Cut in the theaters.

I hadn't seen that either in years despite calling it one of my favorite movies. I watched it again a month or two ago and yes, it still holds up. One thing I've noticed is that while on the one hand the lack of digital effects makes some scenes a bit clunky, I think in the end a lot of other scenes end up being better. (Like the scenes in Tyrel's office, for one. Today the backdrop would have been filled with far too much cartoony extraneous crap.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

A competent ptb by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #8 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:41:27 AM EST
would insist on a "my last day is" notice and make her stick to it by "already having replaced" her.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
competent ptb by tps12 (4.00 / 2) #28 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:36:16 AM EST
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the business world.

Ha ha. You funny guy. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:39:09 AM EST
The only movie... by TPD (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:32:04 AM EST
that features a unicorn and, yet, maintains its noir cool....

Oh wait don't tell me it's Barbie of Swan Lake isn't it?

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Close by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:47:26 AM EST
I was thinking of "Nico the Unicorn."

From imdb:
Plot Outline: As an 11-year-old boy struggles to cope with a disability, he finds a pony who gives birth to a unicorn which he takes care of.

Tell me that doesn't make your cold, cold heart all warm and fuzzy.

Actually by TPD (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:53:48 AM EST
it makes my warm and fuzzy heart cold (oh so cold!)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Has Robin considered Apple? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:36:18 AM EST
I know there's an interested HUSI-ite going there.

I suppose the other option is get on a conservative talk show and tail about how the liberalist mass media complex discriminates against Republicans and pays lip service to hiring the differently abled. Is she charismatic enough to pull that off?

Apple by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:53:51 AM EST
I don't believe even the rugged, bearded loving of MNS could lure Robin to Apple. While Robin handles the second half of "Think Different" ably, she is a little weak on the first half.

Did Robin by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue May 16, 2006 at 06:53:56 AM EST
Say anything nasty to you?

Never really liked Blade Runner. Don't know why.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

She Called Me a Dick. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:06:25 AM EST
That might be fair though. I try to be polite, though not friendly, with her and I'm constantly failing at it. I don't remember what caused her to call me a "short for Richard," but it might well have been justified.

Robin, ha ha by webwench (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue May 16, 2006 at 07:19:04 AM EST
The schadenfreude must be delicious for you, but I will really miss having her in your office. Not enough to want her in mine, however.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

I'm Not Counting My Chickens Just Yet. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:11:53 AM EST
I'm certain the folks up in Boston are putting up a real fight to avoid taking her.

heh by webwench (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:33:54 AM EST
I'm sure she won't get the Boston job at this point, but she is certainly doing her best to get herself fired from your office. The scadenfreude is at her expense, in my mind :)

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

You realize... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:06:11 AM EST
...Robin is 85% of the reason I read your diary. If she goes away, I fear your ratings will plummet. Perhaps you could convince her to stay on for another season?

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

With Any Luck (All Yours, Not Theirs) . . . by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:08:29 AM EST
Some Boston-based Hulverite might be able to keep you in Robin stories.

Although, she ain't gone yet. I'll celebrate the decline in my popularity when it is definite.

I can't imagine your world without Robin by lm (4.00 / 2) #22 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:09:27 AM EST
Or maybe I should say that I can't imagine your world as you present it on HuSi without Robin. The day that Robin leaves your world, HuSi will seem just a little bit more mundane and ordinary. I suspect that your life will have just a bit less meaning.

Cicero, The Republic
She Ain't Gone Just Yet. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:14:51 AM EST
She could still not get the offer and somehow sleaze her way back into the PtB's good graces. Somehow.

And while I like to think that nobody could be worse than Robin, part of my brain keeps telling me about the merits of devils I know.

That's true by lm (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue May 16, 2006 at 08:19:30 AM EST
You've never had to work with me.

Cicero, The Republic
At least she's amusing by webwench (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue May 16, 2006 at 09:27:24 AM EST
So many stupid and/or incompetent people are also completely unamusing... and that would be worse. For us, I mean.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

I just recently by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue May 16, 2006 at 09:21:42 AM EST
managed to, uh, borrow rips of the original Star Wars laserdiscs. Likewise, I thought the original disco-y songs in Return of the Jedi were better suited to Jabba's lair of sin than the mid 90s blues they were replaced with (I guess because disco seemed dated then.) Nevermind the now-dated CGI patch-ups, ugh.

I only saw the director's cut of Blade Runner once, but I sorely missed the narration. Fully agree on the soundtrack, it seems more futuristic and alien than a lot of newer sci-fi that always seems to use  pseudo-goth hard-rock.

I Tried the Ripped Laser Disk Thing. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue May 16, 2006 at 11:09:52 AM EST
The quality was horrible. I don't know what happened. I'm just going to have to cave and buy them when the new-old edition comes out.

Right Here in Front of You | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback