Print Story Deconstructing genius - A look at the DullTrev WFC entries
By DullTrev (Mon May 15, 2006 at 11:58:24 AM EST) (all tags)
Or, alternatively, "What the hell were you thinking?"

So, I've read the other postmortems, and been amazed at the thought that has gone into both them and the stories they are about.  I am afraid I cannot offer you the same thing, but here goes nothing...

I put in three entries (What, was I the only one to put multiple entries in?) as opposed to the usual one.  This suggests that I didn't give a huge amount of thought into what I wrote, and, er, I didn't.

The first entry was 'The Hill'.  The thought process behind this one went something like this:

"I'm bored.  I've got half an hour to kill.  What shall I do... Ooooh!  I know!  I could write something for that challenge on HuSi.  Hmm.  Ed Hulver and the Little People.  I'm so not going to write about leprechauns.  I do like a good pun though...  Ah!  That's it!  That's the pun I'm going for.  OK, so that's the last line, now I just need to write some way of getting there.  OK, it's nonsensical, so make it a punishment.  If it has to be a punishment, then it has to be in Hell.  And there we go, Bob's your uncle, done and dusted, sorted."

I'd like to say I was trying to say something deep.  However, the only deeper meaning is "DullTrev likes puns".  Sorry.

I'll come back to the second entry.  My third entry was 'Lord'.  This was based solely on wanting to write something around another interpretation of 'the little people'.  I'd done bad pun, I'd done actual little people, and so I needed to use the phrase as a derogatory term for the common herd.  Like what we are.  And who is our natural overlord?  But of course, it is hulver.  And so...

For those who were unsure, the fact it ended "FIN" should have given you all an enormous hint it was so far tongue in cheek I'd ripped a hole in the side of my face.

And finally, the serious(ish) entry, 'Diaspora'.  Now, I've read about the thought processes of you guys, and I cannot replicate it, I'm afraid.  This story came to me originally only as a single image that kept popping into my head, that of a number of little people (I imagined them 7 or 8 inches high) all saying in unison "We are Ed Hulver, and I am the little people!"  And that was it.  I needed to find some way of making one person turn into all these little people, and that's where the rest came from.  Oh, and I didn't want Ed to be the central character, so it became his brother.

All I was trying to do was write a yarn, something a wee bit amusing, a wee bit memorable, and perhaps even a wee bit creepy.  I'm sure I could say that the state of Frank is a metaphor to the fractured people our high-pressured universities are turning out in this modern age, obsessed with having the full 'university experience' while also focussing grimly on the need to perform to a level which enables them to get a well paid job to pay off their crippling student debt... but it'd be cobblers.  I just wrote him as being at university because it's somewhere someone can essentially fall off the radar.

Like I said, I just wanted to tell a story with this one, and I hope you liked it.

So, that was it.  If you do find a hidden meaning in any of these stories, please let me know, because I'd want to find out who put it in there.

Of the stories, 'The Hill' took half an hour from start to finish, 'Lord' took about 40 minutes, and 'Diaspora' took 2 hours, because I had to go back and cut enough words out to take it below the word count.

Yes, I probably should edit more.

Anyway, I had an awful lot of fun with this.  For some reason the theme popped a few ideas in my head, and when that happens I have to write them down to stop them bothering me.  So, you know, thanks for that.

And if you didn't like 'The Hill' you are dead inside.  DEAD INSIDE, I TELL YOU.

< Vivisection of my WFC entry | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Deconstructing genius - A look at the DullTrev WFC entries | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Diaspora was one of my favorites. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon May 15, 2006 at 12:03:11 PM EST
It really was a creepy image and it stuck with me. Of course, so did the bad pun in "The Hill." I'm still groaning more than a week later. ;-)
I've got more than one membership to more than one club, and I owe my life to the people that I love. - Ani DiFranco
Thanks by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 15, 2006 at 12:12:01 PM EST

The two images that stick with me are the one I mentioned, and the image of a small hand reaching through a cut on Frank's leg from the inside. Creepy, but ridiculous at the same time.

And that pun still makes me giggle, which is probably a bad thing.

DFJ?
You wrote three??? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon May 15, 2006 at 12:11:33 PM EST
Cheater.

Maybe I have a short attention span but there were too many of them for me to slog through. I read the first 12 or so then voted for my three favourite from those.

Plus it was a pain to have to format some of them so they would word wrap and whatnot.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Yeah I wrote three by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon May 15, 2006 at 12:13:54 PM EST

That's the power of hummus.

And why should I format my stories to word wrap? The creative process is a trial, it's painful, and it's an integral part of the experience that the reader suffers too.

DFJ?
Okay... by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon May 15, 2006 at 12:31:54 PM EST
But I'll remember that when I upload my next MFC in separate files each containing one note that you, the interested listener, will have to then glue all together.

I mean, good golly man! This is the aughts, no civilised person should have to manually word wrap. No man.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Sounds good to me by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon May 15, 2006 at 12:42:28 PM EST

Then I could be playing all the right notes. just not necessarily in the right order... (Trust me, the UKian HuSites will think that line is comedy gold.)

And you're right, no civilised person should have to word wrap. Now look around. I rest my case.

DFJ?
Huh.. by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon May 15, 2006 at 02:10:22 PM EST
So this is what it feels like to be dead inside.

It's less exciting than I thought it'd be.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Well by DullTrev (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon May 15, 2006 at 02:16:16 PM EST

That's because you're dead inside. It means you can't feel what it is like...

DFJ?
Oh.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon May 15, 2006 at 03:30:05 PM EST
Huh.

Vive le Montréal libre.
so I read "Diaspora" by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon May 15, 2006 at 06:19:44 PM EST
and I thought, "I have so got to have this person on my watchlist" and then come to find out, you already are on my watchlist, and you never write anything. *sigh*

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."
Sorry by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon May 15, 2006 at 11:14:51 PM EST

But it's quality, not quantity, don't you know.

DFJ?
I liked all 3 by TPD (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue May 16, 2006 at 12:07:08 AM EST
Diaspora was my out and out favourite entry of all the WFC entries.

And I like the fact that it was just out to tell an interesting story, and not try and squeeze a quart of "Higher art" into a 2000 word story pint pot, which I felt some of the entries might have marginally suffered from.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Bah by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue May 16, 2006 at 01:33:47 AM EST
I'm going to have to read all the entries now, aren't I?

I hate reading fiction online. Dunno why.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

we're talking... by ana (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue May 16, 2006 at 02:29:43 AM EST
about making an actual book outta this stuff. I have it all in a pdf file if you want to print it out.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

S'OK by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 16, 2006 at 02:35:38 AM EST
I can print out from the interwebulator just as it is. I'm lazy, that's all :-)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

pdf by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri May 19, 2006 at 05:41:31 AM EST

Could I get a copy of that? I'd quite like a properly formatted dead tree version and, well, I'm lazy.

DFJ?
Um, sure. by ana (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri May 19, 2006 at 05:55:30 AM EST
I still need to figure out how to install the PNG. I'm not all that handy with pdflatex just yet. Also, now that they're known, presumably the authors should be included.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

ok here: by ana (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri May 19, 2006 at 06:09:06 AM EST
Try EdHulver.pdf and, since I haven't figured out how to include the PNG file, separately download ED_goes_PNG.png.

Kellnerin was talking about prettying this up and making an actual book out of it (including the covers).

The author list is in the "notes" section at the front.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM