Print Story Ooooo am I sore.
Health
By ObviousTroll (Sat May 13, 2006 at 11:25:23 AM EST) (all tags)
So I missed the Apple Store meet-and-greet; and spent a couple of hours going through the martial arts meat grinder instead.

Poll: Which will happen first?

So I'm really really sorry that I couldn't meet up with yankeehack and crew; but the (almost) nine year old promoted to the last belt before black today and I felt I owed it to her to show up.

Which meant I had to show up for the adult class, too. Ugh.

The good news is that these past 3 years haven't been a complete waste - I will never be a "martial artist" but I'm definitely in better physical condition now than I was when I started - promotions still wipe me out but I recover faster. I'm also improving in ways I actually didn't think would happen - I can actually do a "chicken kick" (jump, kick with one foot, then kick with the other foot, then land) which I couldn't really do before - I did it, but the first kick was always a feint rather than a real kick. Now they both connect.

The downside is that I'm starting to experience a lot of "soft tissue" type pains - elbow and shoulder of my left arm and definitely the muscles/tendons connecting the shoulder and the neck on that side. When I'm warmed up, I don't feel a thing, but I've been waking up in the middle of the night, most nights, with a bit of pain. The other day, I was sitting at my desk at work, when my back bone went "thud" - not "crack" or "pop" - it actually felt like something shifted and then fell into place, hard.

It's worth it though, to keep it up and watch the kids grow into it:

Axe Kick  Demo Team

< Some stuff | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ooooo am I sore. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The apple store by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat May 13, 2006 at 11:34:17 AM EST
sells a total of five items. Haven't you seen them all already?

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

I buy software from there too by cam (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat May 13, 2006 at 06:10:05 PM EST
I also lick my thumb and leave a thumb print on all the big screen LCDs that I cant afford.

I hate thumb prints on monitors.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

The products aren't the point, you see. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat May 13, 2006 at 06:24:50 PM EST
It's the opportunity hobnob with those who associate with those who associate with the mighty Jobs.

You're no good to me dead. Even half-alive would be socially awkward. - Hugh MacLeod
Ah, well by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #2 Sat May 13, 2006 at 11:47:32 AM EST
it's more important to watch your little girl kick butt (in a civilized way of course).

The apple store opening was interesting, as there were plenty of confused upper class people wondering what was going on and which celebrity would be showing up at this store that had a line out the door and around the block.

These suburbanites didn't get that it was TEH APPLE STORE.

That second pic is cool. by Gully Foyle (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun May 14, 2006 at 12:46:17 AM EST
Is the chicken kick two front kicks, or two side kicks? Front leg or back leg first? I'm interested, because the only jumping kicks we teach are singles (front, side, turning and back). The only one I've ever used in sparring is a jumping spurn kick, but the rest are fun to practice anyway :)

Gradings only get worse. I could barely walk the day after my black belt, and couldn't train properly for a month... It seemed worth it at the time, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. The sparring was really hard. 2nd degree is supposed to be worse, but I'm 2 years training away from that.

Chicken kick is 2 front kicks by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun May 14, 2006 at 02:01:47 AM EST
starting from a guarding/fighting stance, you jump up with the front leg, kick with the back leg then kick with the front leg before you land.

Not useful for sparring, since it hitting above the belt would be slow, but in a real fight I can see blowing out people's legs with it.

Sounds fun. by Gully Foyle (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun May 14, 2006 at 12:15:49 PM EST
I'll try it on a bag next time I train :) I've been a bit rubbish at jumping kicks since I hurt my back a few months ago, but it's slowly coming back...

Ooooo am I sore. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback