Print Story I have read this many times
By randomxs (Fri May 12, 2006 at 07:16:20 PM EST) cats gatos (all tags)
but came across it again today. I still like it...

The Naming of Cats

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

< on "Transit Authority" and other etymological questions | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I have read this many times | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
BTW by randomxs (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri May 12, 2006 at 07:20:50 PM EST
mine has 3 names too, WarKat, Gato and of course the 3rd one only he knows.

"When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him." - Thomas Szasz
Hmm by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 12, 2006 at 09:54:13 PM EST
my cat has sveral names.

Lets see...

Keycha
Kitty
Clicking sound i made to call her.
Kotche

And probably one that was given and forgotten.

Cat names by cam (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat May 13, 2006 at 02:56:15 AM EST
Did you piss on the carpet again?
Dont vomit there!
The chair isnt for scratching.
Get off my feet, I am trying to sleep.
No! You cant have food.
In the fucking box - not over the edge - in the fucking box.
Get away from the door dopey.
Shutup

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

you forgot by joh3n (4.00 / 5) #4 Sat May 13, 2006 at 05:27:39 AM EST
not the face, NOT THE FACE

----
i wish they'd make hitler toilet paper
-mns

Attribution... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat May 13, 2006 at 06:42:25 AM EST
T. S. Eliot.

Ain't google wunderful?

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by 256 (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat May 13, 2006 at 08:23:17 AM EST
one of mine and misslake's favorite books. a frequent source of bedtime stories.

incidentally, the musical Cats (which i have never seen) was adapted from this book of poems.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Fantastic! I got the one I posted online... by randomxs (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat May 13, 2006 at 08:59:53 AM EST
I was so lame
I forgot the name
Of the poem described.
So I consulted the Oracle
of which I had bribed
She told me the tome
From which it was Scribed.

Then it refreshed my fuckin' memory enough for me to Google it. Yeah, it is an awesome book about pussies for sure. I had a hard copy for a long time, but some loser borrowed it and I am needing to buy a new one.

I have read this many times | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback