Print Story Little Pests, How I Loathe Them
By Eveley (Wed May 10, 2006 at 07:16:26 PM EST) arachnids, cat (all tags)
My brothers' cat jumped up in my lap as I sat here coding in the wee hours of the morning, and made me realise that the early summer have also rushed the inevitable invasion of small disease-carrying arachnids.

Their troops are hatching, lurking in the grass until an unsuspecting victim should happen to brush by. The victim could be you.

If you're lucky, you'll feel an itch and discover it before it's too late. If you're unlucky, you won't find out until you notice a bluish red ring somewhere on your body, the circumference of which keeps expanding. By then, it might be too late.

You've most likely been infected with Lyme disease from a tick.

I have yet to see any of the apparently rare big blue kind, but the ones that do exist in this neck of the woods are vicious little fuckers.

Last year I was attacked thrice, but had the luck of noticing before they could spew too much of their infested spit into my blood. Ilemauzer (the cat) is worse off -- a couple of days ago he had eight of the beasts happily slurping away, but four were large enough to twist off.

For the cat, during summer, a day with less than four ticks is a miracle. He's a tick magnet, none of the other cats in the neighbourhood attract as many -- combined. I think it's because his territory has more forest than the others and that he's prone to stay out for days without coming home.

Hopefully neither the cat nor I will be seriously sick this year (Lyme borreliosis and meningoencephalitis can be dangerous if not diagnosed early.) He always gets a slight fever when being feasted upon, constantly a bit worse for wear, but it passes. He seems to tolerate it as long as he can sleep in someone's lap and be cuddled.

< I started my count at one. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Little Pests, How I Loathe Them | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Tick killers by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed May 10, 2006 at 09:41:00 PM EST
Try Frontline (as it is known in the UK).

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Tried something, by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:08:54 AM EST
don't know if it was Frontline though. It was some stuff to rub in the fur around the neck area of the animal and was supposed to propagate through the rest of the fur.

I've never seen a product less working.

Frontline by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri May 12, 2006 at 12:52:09 AM EST

Available in spray and spot addition form.

Spraying your cat with this stuff is a fun activity, remember to wear your +3 Mail Gloves of Cat Resistance....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Hating little pests by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu May 11, 2006 at 12:19:33 AM EST
Hehe.

Yeah by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu May 11, 2006 at 12:39:39 AM EST
I thought it was diary from from another one of here exes...

Speaking of, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu May 11, 2006 at 03:00:24 AM EST
is she still alive?  I miss her.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
I can confirm, by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu May 11, 2006 at 03:13:37 AM EST
that she's alive and well despite many people's wishes to the contrary having seen her recently at a club night.

Color me ??? [n/t] by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:07:04 AM EST

A girl who used post here by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:20:18 AM EST
And on K5 was called little pest.

She's just someone by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu May 11, 2006 at 07:29:56 AM EST
who doesn't like it when you offer her a lift.

True Enough by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu May 11, 2006 at 01:34:01 PM EST
I haven't got personally beef with her at the moment and it's a fair while ago. However I know other people on here independent of me aren't very happy with her for other reasons.

Ticks. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 11, 2006 at 02:47:08 AM EST
That reminds me, HOUSE is on tonight.

It was series 2, episode 16 last week, which guest starred a tick. Quote: "See, I told you it would be more dramatic when I did find it."

guest star ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:10:27 AM EST
A tick, or THE tick ?

SPOOOOOOOONNNNN!!!

A tick, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:17:54 AM EST
I'm afraid. It's live action.

learn thine history by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:20:25 AM EST
as there was a live action Tick

My apologies. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu May 11, 2006 at 07:26:38 AM EST
I'm not big on graphic narratives and their offshoots.

Gaaah! by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu May 11, 2006 at 08:51:40 AM EST
I used to watch the animated series on TCC (does that exist in the UK any more?), and rather liked it. This... gaaaaah!