Print Story Welcome
By ad hoc (Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:08:27 AM EST) cycling, movies, books, weekend, sun, fun, etc (all tags)

FYI, the Moo Cam now seems to be working.

Hmmm, it's been a week, where to start?

HuSi lunch, nothing new to report, except that I quite like toxicfur's tattoo design.

It seems that depression has been setting in on me again, but I did get out on the bike yesterday which seems to have remedied it quite a bit. It's like it's the severity is directly proportion to the time spent off the bike.

I felt great yesterday. I so love my bike. It's so quiet and smooth, it works perfectly, it fits me great, I love it. It was quite cool in the city, but once in the burbs it warmed up a lot. I took the abbreviated Concord-Carlisle loop, about 50 miles (the regular loop is about 70). I didn't take much money with me. I though I had $10 but it turned out I had only $8. Quite the shock when you order a sandwich and drink at the Country Store ("Work Hahd. Play Hahda.") and it totals out at $7.88. I also saw that Kimball's is open again!!!! Huzzah!

Next weekend is the first century of the year. We'll see how it goes. It's one of those I have to be up and at 'em at 5:30 AM. Ugh. It looks like a crowd might be there: two from last year's long ride and two bloging acquantances.

The organized rides are having a lot of scheduling conflicts this year and I'm going to miss at least three because of that. TFCE is the same weekend as NVP and Major Taylor is the same weekend as Tri-state. That's too bad, Major Taylor is a much nicer ride than tri-state, but I'm already signed up for tri-state. Ocean State, Gloucester, and Quabbin are all on the same day! Can't miss Quabbin, I like that one. Oh well, things can change.

My whiplash is acting up again. Argh! It's hard to ride a bike when it hurts to lift your head. Ow.

I was on a reading binge this weekend. It's the first time in a long time I read a book cover to cover in one sitting. Thursday and Friday I read Death in the Clouds Saturday, I went to the library and spent the rest of the day reading and finishing The Murder of Roger Akroyd. I also checked out one of the John Carter books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Gods of Mars. I read some of the John Carter books in middle school and liked them, so I thought I'd see if they were still good. They are! I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Lots of fighting, swashbuckling, and daring do. I also got one Miss Marple for later.

As a result, I didn't turn on the tv once all weekend. It was nice. Sunday was abnormally quiet, even for a Sunday. You'd think it was a holiday or something.

Quarterly doctor appointment last Monday. All numbers within target ranges. I did drop my glucometer on the tile floor and watched it shatter into three pieces, so I've spend the last few days trying to get another one. Finally got ahold of the right person and one is being FedEx'd tomorrow. I don't like going for long rides without one.

MediaWiki is extremely difficult to maintain on a hosted service, so I'm switching to TikiWiki. So far, I like it much better. The only two things I haven't figured out yet is how to redirect pages (go to some page, then auto-redirect to somewhere else), and how to include one wiki page in another. E.g. I want the home page to be an assemblage of several other pages. How do I do that? It's easy to do in MediaWiki (one of the only things that are really "easy".

Left over movie thoughts from a couple weeks ago:

Ed Wood

[Netflix] [IMDb]

A biopic about Ed Wood, often voted the worst director evar. Director of Plan 9 from Outer Space, and Glen or Glenda?

Johnny Depp does a fantastic job as Wood, in fact, most of the cast are fantastic.  Martin Landau’s performance as the drug addled Bela Lugosi really did deserve the Oscar he won. Sarah Jessica Parker was under used, but Lisa Marie as Vampira was outstanding. The film is shot in black and white and really would not have worked any other way.

; would own

Memento

[Netflix] [IMDb]

Since his "incident", Leonard (Guy Pearce) is unable to form new memories. Everything fades in a matter of minutes. To cope with this problem, he’s taken to the habit of taking snapshots of everything and writing notes on them as a sort of "photographic memory". For very important things, he tattoos himself with the information. That important information is what he hopes will lead him to his the killer of his wife (played in flashbacks by Jorja Fox). The photos are craftily used in a way that is very convincing.

This is the movie that’s shown in reverse. It opens with Leonard shooting Teddie (Joe Pantoliano) point blank in the head. The next scene is what happened immediately prior to that, and so on. It’s remarkably effective, especially when involving the whole episode with Natalie (Carrie-Anne Moss) and how she cleverly uses his affliction to manipulate the situation. In fact, most everyone uses him and in the end-- or is it the beginning?-- nothing is as it appears.

I wonder if this would be a good film if shown in a "proper" order. My guess is that it probably wouldn’t. The whole thing is based on not knowing how you ended up in a place, and finding that out is what the ride is all about. It also has the effect of putting you in Leonard’s shoes. Since you haven’t seen what’s happened before, you have no more idea how he came to be where he is that Leonard does. As a side bonus, Pearce spends a good deal of the film in various stages of undress.

; would watch again

You can sure tell it's a bank holiday, eh?

< Counters and chits and rules oh my! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Welcome | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Murder of Roger Ackroyd by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:14:21 AM EST
What did you think? Mrs U thinks its unfair to the reader, I thought it was brill.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I liked it. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:28:21 AM EST
It was the better of the two. I thought figured out who dun it about halfway through, but kept thinking "no, it can't be". Agatha certainly likes her red herrings, though.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Oh, Death in the Clouds, right by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:33:23 AM EST
I haven't read that one, but the movie adaptation is pretty good IIRC. Better than the Roger Ackroyd adaptation, because they couldn't (or didn't, anyway) leave Roger in first person.

Christie always gets me in the mood to get out huge posterboards and design a fictional murder myself.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

That's why I was thinking by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:36:46 AM EST
"it can't be". How can the writer be the one who dun it? But it's the only one that made sense to me. And it turns out I was right.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
The love that dare not speak it's name by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:18:51 AM EST
I have those feelings for my Kawasaki, and I rue my other responsibilities (kids, house, wife) that keep me from tinkering with it to keep it running just exactly perfect.

And then I'll move on to the Honda.

A century already?? by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon May 01, 2006 at 11:03:41 AM EST
I've been looking for one down here, but I'll I've been finding are metrics.  With how hot this area is with cycling, I'd thought there'd be some longer stuff by this time.

You know of any sites that list centuries?

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I know some up here by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon May 01, 2006 at 12:05:34 PM EST
but I don't know of any national ones, except for some national charity ride type things.

Landry's  is shop around here.
The Ride, or rather Bike Culture as it's called now, lists things on the east coast, but they tend to get things very late.

You could try Pedaling, but that lists "rides" as opposed to "events". Meaning, they list routes and things, but not, necessarily, when an organized ride will happen.

Your best best is a local shop, I think.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

It'd be dull by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon May 01, 2006 at 11:18:00 AM EST
Since the whole thing is a suspense/mystery movie, and the effectiveness of it is all based on the viewer being surprised at the outcome (er...beginning), it'd be dull frontwards. Everything would be obvious and predictable.

It'd be like starting an Agatha Christie movie by showing exactly who killed whom with what.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I think you're right. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon May 01, 2006 at 12:07:40 PM EST
A big part of the movie was putting you in his shoes, not remembering/knowing what just happened. I have to say, it worked.

I was trying to think what it would be like played the right way around, and I don't really think there's much of a movie there.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

if you watch it again by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon May 01, 2006 at 05:19:46 PM EST
there are a few things that make much more sense the second time around. the first time, you're so disoriented from trying to follow the format.
Send me to Austria!
There's an easter egg by Gully Foyle (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue May 02, 2006 at 02:32:17 AM EST
On some versions of the DVD, there's a hidden feature that plays the movie in chronological order. Details here.

Ah by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue May 02, 2006 at 06:34:50 AM EST
"Insert disk 2"

I already sent it back to Netflix in any case.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Winter is depressing because it is dark by cam (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon May 01, 2006 at 11:59:14 AM EST
and it limits what you can do outside. Spring is worse because every glance at the window causes your brain to yell at you "It is a BEAUTIFUL day outside - WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU sitting at your desk!!!!!"

Two more minutes and I am going out to skate, my dodgy knees be damned.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

You may be on to something by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon May 01, 2006 at 12:11:37 PM EST
bank holiday, by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon May 01, 2006 at 02:55:58 PM EST
as if the Commies would even HAVE banks.

Blizzard of Death '06
biking by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon May 01, 2006 at 05:21:17 PM EST
being outside is good for mental health. as far as whiplash goes, i was worried about what biking would do to my neck (and the old whiplash injury). turned out that the more i biked, the less it hurt. the muscles must have strengthened up or something from more use, and they held my poor bones in place much better.
Send me to Austria!
Mine's more of a nerve pinch or something by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon May 01, 2006 at 06:03:18 PM EST
a massage therapist can snap it out pretty easily. If I can do it just right I can snap it out by rolling on a tennis ball on my back.

It's an old surfing injury where the board purled under and I hit bottom. My shoulderblade whapped my backbone and pinched a nerve between the two. Or something. Every once in a while the muscle there gets all knotted up.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

ow by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon May 01, 2006 at 06:19:01 PM EST
a chiro can work mine out well, but i definately can't do it myself. my atlas just will not stay put, it likes to pop to the left.
Send me to Austria!