Print Story I've not got the power
By Herring (Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 06:04:05 AM EST) (all tags)
And other problems.

So, having some free time today, I finally got around to trying the power supply from this machine (Dell) in the dead Athlon. Yes it works. I still get calc errors trying out the GIMPS thing - which suggests that I may have been sold duff RAM as well. Not sure - although the Dell RAM may fit. Might try later.

One thing that puts me off is that taking the power supply out of the Dell caused it to lose everything (will to live etc.).

Not sure what to do about the PSU. Yeah, I could complain to the people I bought it from but that might take ages. I could just buy another PSU and put that in - which may be less hassle. Anyone got any opinions on PSUs? The one in there was supposed to be 450W. I can't have been drawing anywhere near that (one HDD, one DVD RW, one floppy).

Think I may drop the people an e-mail. If they can send me a PSU and new memory, then that would be cool.

On a brighter note, I have booked the first wakeboarding of the season for tomorrow. Let's see whether my ankle holds together.

I have come to the conclusion that computers are very effective for storing music, video, pictures and dust.

< All right. I'm gone. I've had enough. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I've not got the power | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
PSU by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 06:55:00 AM EST
I got some suggestions in this diary. I went with a Zalman from QuietPC.com which was delivered quickly and works fine, but that model seems to have disappeared since I bought it.
Product recall by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 07:14:58 AM EST

owing to spontaneous combustion issues.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Hmm by Herring (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 07:35:00 AM EST
Not sure I care about the noise that much in that room. Will see how much it is to ship the stuff back to the people.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
PSUs by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 04:15:53 PM EST
If you've got a fairly modern graphics card in there, it could be using that much power.

I haven't by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Apr 09, 2006 at 12:20:20 AM EST
But I have seen how much those things draw. Scary. Especially when you see the voltage. Many, many amps.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky