Print Story The Men's Guide.
By blixco (Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:21:39 AM EST) howto (all tags)
An ongoing series.

Driving a Stick

A lot of men these days are unaware of the myriad details involved with successfully operating a motor vehicle.  The new breed of automobile certainly does not encourage curiosity, and only the most adventurous will wind up their sleeves and get under the hood.  Consider the automatic transmission, which created both a technological barrier to self-sufficiency and a sissification of the average driver; no longer was man in control of machine in every aspect.  Not that this control isn't an illusion to begin with; it's actually a series of linkages, laws of physics, and tiny robots that control the vehicle.

Nevertheless, every man should be fully capable of hopping into a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro or 1985 Ferrari Testarossa and driving frantically away from the scene of a really cool heist with great jazz-tinged music playing in the background.  To accomplish this, you must be able to drive a stickshift.

First, a diagram that shows how a transmission works:

Fig 1:

Essentially, when you sit in a car with a manual transmission, you will be presented with a stick (on your right in the US, on your left in every other country in the world) and a set of pedals (three in the US, sixteen in every other country).  To make car go, follow these easy steps:

1. Start the motor. Depress the clutch (call it names or tell it that it is going to be part of the global economy and will soon be offshored to India).  With your left foot (in the US, your right foot in all other countries), step on the clutch pedal. Engage the transmission (I suggest a conversation about clouds). Turn the key or press the button that reads "Make car go now."  Alternately, cross the red and black / white striped wires in the steering console.  If the motor does not start then fix it, or open the hood, yell and scream, explode the car.
  2. Step on the accelerator with your right foot in the US, your left hand in all other countries.  You want the motor to start climbing in rpms (revolutions per minute in the US, revolutions per meter in all other countries).  If you have a tachometer, you should see the needle indicate a tach of 6000.  If you don't have a tachometer, press and hold the accelerator on the floor until the pitch of the motor hits a high D sharp.  If you don't have a tuning fork, step on the gas until the motor makes your seams tingle.
  3. Shove the shifter into a slot marked with any prime number.  Remember: prime numbers to start, even numbers to stop.  I used the following little saying to remember this: primed to go, even to slow.  Except on 8 speed transmissions, or when counted in Chinese, or when the car is facing Mecca.
  4. Slowly....very slowly....let out the clutch while simultaneously stepping harder on the accelerator while at the same time adjusting the clutch attack angle while at the same time adjusting the motor speed to match the clutch flywheel speed to the mated friction surface speed of the clutch (see Fig 1 above).  This is called "harmonic balance" and it is imperative that you wildly pump the clutch once you find this to maintain it until the vehicle lurches forward.  The point at which the clutch starts to make smells and screetch is called the "friction point."  Keep the clutch "balanced" in this "friction point" (see fig 1 above) until forward motion is atained.
  5. For all forward gears, repeat steps one through 4.  As you accelerate, you may wish to slow the speed of the motor to avoid killing the people in your direct path.  You, uh, you know?  Can you, uh...you really want to do that now.  No, seriously.  HOLY CRAP SLOW DOWN!
  6. I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to yell.  Don't cry....no....look, please don't cry.  Listen, it's not your fault.  It's not you, it's me.  I'm just, I'm under a lot of stress and it's really hard for me to get a grip.  I'm...oh god, I promised myself I wouldn't cry.
  7. Ok, now, shift into reverse (see Fig 1).  To back the car up, you'll have to not only shift the transmission backwards, you'll have to swap your left and right foot, since shifting into reverse actually reverses the action of each component of the car.  Turning the stereo down, for instance, will tune into a new station.  Now, repeat the above steps in reverse, and with each new gear you'll be going backwards slower!  Isn't that fun?  Oh, and it's prime to slow and even to go, now.  Got it?
  8. To stop, pull up on the handbrake until it clicks seven times.  Do this with both hands.  You will have to steer with your knees while simultaneously activating the clutch and the accelerator.  That big pedal between them is the brake pedal that you use to slow the car in corners, and will be covered in an advanced manual.
There you have it.  It's hardly rocket science, and you will be guaranteed the loving adoration of your peers and their children.  You will now be able to drive like Steve McQueen or The Bandit.  You will be in total and complete control not only of your car, but of your destiny because, just think: if you can control a ten thousand pound rolling death machine, you can control anything!

Next week: how to hunt and fish using improvised munitions.

< Gee Whiz, Pretty, Pretty Boy | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Men's Guide. | 74 comments (74 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
+1 FP by hulver (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:38:01 AM EST
I thought everybody knew how to do this.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Amazing, I know, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:47:17 AM EST
but there are people who have testicles who cannot drive a stick shift.
Nit: by Breaker (3.00 / 4) #2 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:43:53 AM EST
In UKian, the accelerate pedal is in the middle, clutch on the left and brake on the right.

Also missing: handbrake turns.

Advanced topics by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:45:58 AM EST
will be covered later.

I thought the UKian Pedal Change was only on cars with tags starting with N?
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

don't forget the doriftu by webwench (4.00 / 2) #18 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:33:49 AM EST
also, on the next 2Fast2Furious Tutorial, how to locate and attach the largest possible spoiler to your car.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Not quite by komet (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:39:16 AM EST
You're right of course except if you are a bibbering 85 year old with senile dementia driving an old Volvo, in which case the accelerator and brake pedals are reversed when you get near to flimsy fruit stalls and/or young mothers with prams. A minor aspect, admittedly, but IMHO it's important to get the details right.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Think once, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:43:22 AM EST
think twice, think don't drive on the pavement!
IHBT? by SoupIsGoodFood (2.00 / 0) #57 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 08:29:46 AM EST
For real, or am I being trolled? I though pedals were pretty much the same in all countries: Clutch left, brake middle, accelerator right.

__________________
\\ Photo gallery \\

That was until by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #71 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 11:49:35 PM EST
The 1985 Common Motor Vehicle Pedal Accord designed to bring the EU into a common platform for vehicle design.

There was a huge furore as cars built before 1985 had to be retrofitted.

Or I may just be having a laugh about this, who knows?

So what is the layout of EU cars, then? by SoupIsGoodFood (2.00 / 0) #73 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 04:41:12 AM EST
What about the US?

__________________
\\ Photo gallery \\

I really don't have the heart by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #74 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 04:59:31 AM EST
To continue this.  I was having a laugh, pedal configuration is the same in the UK as in the US.

Ouch by yicky yacky (4.00 / 4) #5 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:53:43 AM EST

With your left foot in the US, your right foot in all other countries ...

That's got to hurt ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Straddling oceans by blixco (4.00 / 3) #6 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:58:20 AM EST
is what we are all about!
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
That's because we're On the March! by notafurry (4.00 / 3) #7 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:12:17 AM EST
Except those of us who've remembered to flip the page on the calendar.

Wow by theboz (4.00 / 3) #8 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:21:30 AM EST
You said it so horribly that I almost forgot how to use a manual transmission.
- - - - -
I know my gramar isn't by blixco (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:42:04 AM EST
the bestest, but it wasn't that too terribley, now, wasn't it?
+1 FP by komet (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:30:55 AM EST
despite the various omissions. I'm sorry to say I found it particularly egregious that you didn't cover shifting and holding a cell phone to one's ear simultaneously.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Advanced topics by blixco (4.00 / 5) #11 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 05:41:19 AM EST
will be covered later.  Including but not limited to:
  • Undoing a bra with one hand while driving.
  • Battling snakes while driving.
  • Cooking pancakes while driving.
  • My wife's rack while driving.
  • Laundry day while driving.
  • Reading while driving.
  • Making tea while driving.
  • Barbequeing while driving.

And don't forget by komet (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:02:49 AM EST
  • Driving... while driving!

Though I believe Westerners are constitutionally incapable of performing this feat.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Not just westerners. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:03:53 AM EST
Take a look at traffic in India at some point.  Now imagine driving  motorcycle through there.
snakes in a car by MillMan (4.00 / 4) #19 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:50:54 AM EST
I think it'll be a straight to video release by Greener (4.00 / 2) #24 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:48:18 AM EST

Get these by blixco (4.00 / 4) #45 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:05:48 AM EST
motherfucking snakes out of my motherfucking car!
You forgot by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #20 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:06:19 AM EST
Doughnuts while driving.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Arriving on time for an interview by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #26 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:17:52 AM EST
while driving.

also turn signals by webwench (4.00 / 3) #31 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:23:18 AM EST
although it's possible that using a turn signal, like embalming a cat in the old Egyptian way, is a lost art. I did hear bitumen is involved, though.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

awesome by 256 (4.00 / 2) #16 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:13:25 AM EST
also, fastest FP ever.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
It was certainly by blixco (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:19:29 AM EST
quick.  My multiple accounts and a fat pipe = +1FP in record time!
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
What about motorcycles? by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #21 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:09:20 AM EST
With and without manual spark advance, with and without kick starters, UK controls vs US controls?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

As you can see, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:12:19 AM EST
this is a story about manual transmissions.

Not about motorcycles.

It is unknown whether there is such a thing as a motorcycle transmission; none of the really hairy guys who own Harleys will let me get near them.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Most bikes are manual by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #23 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:28:17 AM EST
Well, Honda came out with a heinous auto for bikes in the 70's, but most bikers don't talk about that.

A friend, years ago, had a '69 650 cc Triumph Bonneville. British, with British controls. Which is to sya, they were reversed from God Fearing American controls. The first time I tried to do a panic stop I hit the brakes. Except they were on the wrong side, so I hit the clutch and downshifted. Damn near wrecked.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

In all seriousness, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #43 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:59:15 AM EST
yes, bikes do have manual trannies.  However, this is about cars.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
So I guess there won't be any articles by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #48 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:31:22 AM EST
on HOWTO: Drive a Combine, will there?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

There might, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #50 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:33:43 AM EST
but it isn't this article.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Does this mean that I'm a man? by calla (4.00 / 3) #25 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:57:50 AM EST
All but one of my autos have had manual transmissions.

I prefer sticks.

If I'm a man - does that last sentence make me gay?

No by ucblockhead (4.00 / 5) #27 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:18:31 AM EST
You can touch your own stick without being gay.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
But I have touched other's sticks. by calla (4.00 / 2) #30 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:22:42 AM EST
often.

then by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #34 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:38:26 AM EST
You're gay.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
but only if the balls touch by webwench (4.00 / 5) #36 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:42:35 AM EST

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Oooh, racy! by dn (4.00 / 3) #52 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:49:33 PM EST
Har har.

I ♥
 TOXIC
WASTE

I think you'll find by ambrosen (4.00 / 4) #55 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 08:01:32 AM EST
your comment has no bearing on this discussion.

Crap. by littlestar (4.00 / 3) #29 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:22:34 AM EST
I guess this means more fodder for codemonkey's accusation of me being a man with breasts. Dammit.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Next you'll tell us you post on the internet, by webwench (4.00 / 4) #33 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:26:10 AM EST
as if that were possible.

Oh wai-

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

there you go, attention-whoring again by webwench (4.00 / 3) #32 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:25:11 AM EST
Girls don't drive stick, duh!

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

I believe my comment would be called a troll. by calla (4.00 / 2) #35 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:39:20 AM EST
webby - you, littestar and I are probably just fat old men with nothing better to do than pretend to be women on the internet.

no, *mine* was the troll and yours was the bite. by webwench (4.00 / 3) #37 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:43:41 AM EST
I apologize deeply for this comment, by the way. Sometimes, I just can't help myself.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

trolling trollers by calla (4.00 / 3) #39 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:48:21 AM EST
Troll, troll, bite, bite, bite.

My mother can't stand that her daughter is a troll.

Does your mother know?

I haven't come out yet by webwench (4.00 / 3) #40 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:50:23 AM EST
I was hoping a celebrity would come out as a troll so that I could then have a big coming-out party in celebration. Do you think that's a good idea?

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Only if you invite me. by calla (4.00 / 2) #41 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:55:35 AM EST
p.s. We have many celebrity trolls that are out. Anne Colter and Janeane Garofalo are the first two that come to mind.

You're not a troll. by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #46 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:08:12 AM EST
You're an internet celebrity of a biter, though.

But can you resist biting this one?

I am not a biter, you bastar- by webwench (4.00 / 4) #47 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:14:43 AM EST
Damn, foiled again.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

How many trolls could a good troll troll by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #49 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:33:08 AM EST
If a good troll could troll trolls?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

No no no. by blixco (4.00 / 4) #44 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 09:02:49 AM EST
This is a man's guide.  It has nothing to do with you women.

Why you are even reading this, we'll never know.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

They man(ual) curious by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #53 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 10:46:24 PM EST
Fine with me; the more they know, the better they can perform their wifely duties.  You know, changing the oil and such.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I have always driven stick by littlestar (4.00 / 3) #28 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:18:46 AM EST
Although, it as gotten me into trouble now, having married a man who cannot. Thus, I am left to be the driver of the old stick car whilst he will always get the new shiny car which has to be automatic. Sigh. I do look forward to riches so that I may buy a new, shiny, fast manual car. I am sure I will have to wait until the kidlets are older though, fast cars generally don't hold a lot of people.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Question: by ni (4.00 / 3) #38 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:43:47 AM EST
Remember: prime numbers to start, even numbers to stop.

What do gears 1 and 2 do?

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown

Remember: by blixco (4.00 / 2) #42 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 08:57:49 AM EST
prime numbers to start, even numbers to stop.
1 is for cruising by 256 (4.00 / 3) #51 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 02:28:26 PM EST
as it is neither even nor prime.

2 can clearly be used for both starting and stopping.

any gear higher than 2 is just for show.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Mwhaahaahaaa! by grendel (4.00 / 1) #54 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 06:24:32 AM EST
Yeah it always shocks me how few guys nowadays can operate a manual transmission. Though I must question if it was prudent for you to share all these secrets in such a public place.

Love the illustration, by the way.

1985 Testarossa, you say? by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #56 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 02:01:40 PM EST
ObviousTroll's got one of those:
Yay! Hello Kitty Ferrari

Driving a 'stick' aka manual transmission by dmg (4.00 / 2) #58 Sat Apr 15, 2006 at 11:08:10 AM EST
Is the same as running Linux. There's absolutely no reason for it in this day and age. Indeed, nowdays, Borg-Warner DSG technology has rendered the manual transmission completely obsolete, along with carburettors, manual-wind windows and drum brakes.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Oh sure, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #59 Sat Apr 15, 2006 at 11:15:53 AM EST
and there's no reason to enjoy the symphony live, or go outside of your house, or climb a mountain, with with all the simulacra available.

Some of us like to shift gears, especially because others think it unnecessary.

Well by dmg (4.00 / 2) #60 Sat Apr 15, 2006 at 12:10:46 PM EST
I guess luddism will always be with us, but really and truly, in this day and age, surely it's time to get with the times.

I say this as someone who has driven a manual transmission all my life. (It's the default in the UK). Where will it end? Perhaps you'd appreciate some old school dentistry or some good old-fashioned sanitation?
People who persist in driving manual transmission vehicles are the same as those people who persist in using unix, despite its many documented shortcomings.

Manual transmissions are environmentally unfriendly too! Do you WANT to be responsible for global warming?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Why would it by blixco (4.00 / 1) #61 Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 12:48:37 PM EST
have to go any further than just a transmission?  I prefer to drive my car, not have something drive it for me.  That's why I'll never buy a drive-by-wire car.  To me, the perfect car right now is the lotus Elise.
Hmm by dmg (4.00 / 1) #62 Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 02:32:50 PM EST
Not sure if you thought this through. The 2006 model Elise has a drive-by-wire throttle.

Dude, you need to move with the times...

From the article:

The by-wire throttle feels different—the mechanical sensation of stretching a cable connected to the engine is gone—but also provides superior responsiveness and better modulation.

What you want is a Morgan, with a wooden chassis...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Throttle by wire is OK, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #63 Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 02:38:52 PM EST
and I'd even not mind one of those paddle shifters that uses it's own brain to shift quicker than I can....assuming I initiate it.  So, yeah, my earlier statement is incorrect.

I'm all for automated systems that I can control.  A throttle-by-wire is fine as long as the system isn't crippled by traction control or any other sorts of electric nannies.

Dude by dmg (4.00 / 1) #64 Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 04:31:38 PM EST
You are not a computer. You cannot make 10000000 decisions per second. What makes you think you are in anyway qualified to be in complete control of a vehicle's systems? Lives are at stake here!!!

As for electronic nannies - I probably owe my life to them due to my over-zealous driving style. I've lost count of the number of times the traction control has saved me from my own enthusiasm. You would be insane to turn those systems off - they effectively make you a better driver.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

If you say so. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #65 Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 05:19:27 PM EST
But, you're only right for you.
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
F1 drivers these days leave the electronics on. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #66 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12:34:52 PM EST
Face it, computers are better at some things than humans.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Pansies. Debutantes. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #67 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12:59:30 PM EST
Limp-wristed midgets.

Computers are better at things, sure, but there's no FUN in a computer being BETTER.  Fuck BETTER.  I've had enough of PRECISION.

Human beings are imprecise and dirty and inelegant and wonderfully chaotic and ridiculous and wrong and capable of just about any goddamn thing, up to and including mistakes.

That's what makes us so goddamn wonderful, you fool.

Apropos by blixco (2.00 / 0) #68 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 01:02:59 PM EST

The world is having this debate as we speak!  You and I, we're trendsetters.

Interesting. by dmg (4.00 / 1) #69 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 02:35:31 PM EST
Perhaps you would like a vehicle with 4 brake pedals and 4 accelerators? (one per wheel) - then you could really be in control of that car...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Indeed, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #70 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 04:28:30 PM EST
everything should be taken to the extreme.

Do you drink Mountain Dew?

Just kidding.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Dude by dmg (4.00 / 1) #72 Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 10:17:05 AM EST
I drink mountain dew amp...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
The Men's Guide. | 74 comments (74 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback