Print Story What? The land of the free?
By Herring (Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 08:18:50 AM EST) fun hating cowqaas, (all tags) (all tags)
Whoever told you that is your enemy.

I may not be being popular here (also I may be reiterating something already said, but I don't have time to read all your boring drivel before posting my own boring drivel) but it strikes me as strange that in the US, you can be sentenced to death for not telling the authorities about a crime that was committed while you were actually in prison.

The other day, I was so drunk, I was almost about to drive home*. I was only prevented by the fact that my car was already at home. Should I lose my license anyway?

Anyhow, enough of that. My lovely Athlon 64 seems to be dead. Investigation (and IRC suggestions) point towards the PSU. Wondering whether I should contact the company that sold it to me or try the PSU out of this machine first (and if it is that, just buy another). How much does a decent PSU run to these days?

Not too sure about the spine - and the experience - of new manager on Crap Project at LCC. One of the team leads pointed out to her:

1. No, I don't agree with the estimates. We cannot do all that work by the deadline.
  2. Getting people in less than two months before the deadline will not help to achieve it.
She seems reluctant to pass this information up the chain of command.

If they do can the project now, it would be a little silly - more has been achieved in the last 3 months than in the preceeding 18. By a factor of lots. There are hitches - like the pure use-case driven approach frequently means re-writes of "working" code as new features are added. Also, people come up with stuff like today's: "By the way, some external suppliers need access to some of the features". And yes, that "small feature" is in the end of May deadline (Citrix, anyone?).

I actually think that temperature variation may have played a part in my poor chilli germination record. I left the propogator in the conservatory - which is south facing. In the sun, it gets really bloody hot in there. Once I've moved the successful seeds out, I may move it inside and have another go. I must have purple jalapenos.

Can't decide whether to spend the evening trying to diagnose by 'puter or go to the pub quiz. The fact that I've got the day off tomorrow points towards the latter.

*Hypothetical situation for illustrative purposes only.

< My laundry, a photojournal | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
What? The land of the free? | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Is 'accessory to murder' usually punishable by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 08:25:00 AM EST
by death? I have no idea.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Not in the civilised world by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 08:28:59 AM EST
I'll have to check though what the relationship is between $CRIME and Accessory too. My own experience with the British legal system suggests that the person who told the other person to do something gets off more lightly that the person who did it (like my fine was less).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Hmm by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 08:52:44 AM EST
Did the Japanese ambassador who forgot to mention Japan's declaration of war to FDR get imprisoned and executed by J. Edgar Hoover?

You're mixing a couple of points up by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 09:14:02 AM EST
There's a couple of issues in what you're asking about.

I believe the fact that he was in prison has nothing to do with the acutal crime. Also, you are making it sound like you're more against the crime committed (not telling the authorities about a crime that you know will occur in the future, that could be prevented if you spoke up) and the punishment (death).

Also in your example no crime was commited as you didn't actually drive drunk.

Granted I know you're primarily trying to troll a reaction but whatever...

<nixon>I am not a troll</nixon> by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 09:24:20 AM EST
There is some indication that GWB knew about it in advance. Should he get the death penalty too? (Just for this specifically, not in general).

For the record, yes I agree that the guy should go down for several years for conspiracy and whatnot. The death penalty for not actually killing anyone seems very harsh though. It seems more like bloody-minded vengeance.

There is also the practical side. He will make a very prominent martyr.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Maybe not trolling, by ks1178 (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 09:51:03 AM EST
but I'm pretty sure you were fishing for heated responses.

I just wasn't sure if your complaint was against the crime, or the penalty.

Now, ignoring the fact that one of the options of penalty is death.

You try to equate the knowledge that Moussaoui had (which including exactly what was going to happen, on which day, and possibly even which flights) to what Bush (and since he's at the top, he's ultimately responsible) knew is still trying to compare apples to oranges.

So far at most (and that's even iffy) the government knew was a vague something bad might happen at some point in time during September, maybe.

I'm pretty sure that if the government had known the exact details of what was going down, and knew that on September 11, 2001 planes would start crashing into US targets, they would have done everything possible to prevent it.

And Yes, if it comes out in the future that the government knew exactly what was going to happen and did nothing to prevent all of those deaths, I do feel that they should be held responsible and should face criminal charges.

As to whether I agree with the possible penalty of death that Moussaoui might receive. I don't know, my view on death penalties changes from day to day.

As to whether I feel what he did was I crime, most definitely. If you have knowledge that could prevent the murder of people, I believe that it is a crime not let the authorities know it, so they can try and prevent it.

True story by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 09:37:38 AM EST
In Massachusetts, if you are drunk* and in a car with the keys in the ignition, you are guilty of drunk driving. It does not matter if the car is turned on or running or not. If you are drunk and in a car with the keys not in the ignition, you cannot be charged for drunk driving.

So, if you come out of a club and decide you're too drunk to drive and decide to sleep it off in the parking lot, remember that you are required to freeze to death rather than warm the car up. And don't listen to the radio.

* (BAL >= .08%)
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Similar law in the UK by Herring (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 09:39:04 AM EST
Drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.

Very rarely applied - the police would rather you slept it off.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

And in Aus by Phage (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 10:36:39 AM EST
Once decided I was too drunk to ride, so (in a flash of genius) decided to push a 200Kg bike home on a warm night.
The cops did stop and ask what I was doing. Informed us that we could be booked anyway as Drunk-In-Charge, but decided to let me off.

How very good of them.

Even dumber by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 09:54:52 AM EST
At least you're allowed to have the keys in the vehicle (if not in the ignition).

In Michigan, you can't even have the keys in your pocket, or else where in the vehicle in or out of reach. So instead, to get a way with this, you have to leave the keys outside of the vehicle.

Hotwire! by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 10:01:53 AM EST
Cures what ails ya.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

I'm hoping they won't. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 10:55:46 AM EST
I mean, I oppose the death penalty anyway, but I can't imagine many people would agree to put a guy to death for something that went on without him.

Unfortunately, the press coverage makes it sound like he actually bragged in court about being part of the plot and glad it happened and so on - I guess that must have irked the jury.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

It's the mystics I feel sorry for. by priestess (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:12:14 AM EST
And the astrologers. They have all this knowledge of crimes that might go off in the future and you can hardly get a policeman to listen to you.

Pre..........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

What? The land of the free? | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback