Print Story Happy happy tea tea happy happy tea tea
Drugs
By georgeha (Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 07:52:03 AM EST) Kei-Hin, needles and jets, knitting, Ubuntu (all tags)
it's another happy tea fueled off the cuff diary!

Within: knitting turns a city into a town, the first rule of sys admining, MILfless workout, used cars, scraping, and confusing the jets and needles.

Poll: Favorite clothing material?

Last night Mrs. Ha went with preschool-mom to a knitting club at a newish coffee house a few miles away, near our old house. I had the bedtime responsibility, so after I hustled the brats into bed, I had hours to myself.

Which means, carburetor time! I went out back, nearly slipping on the icy steps and got my carb, manuals and tools, and finished my rebuild job. I realized I was confusing jets and needles, too, and I have never before seen my main and slow jet, which sit under a plate in the upper part of the carb below my vacuum piston. The things below the carb, in the bowl, must be the needles or something.

So now they're done, and I'm eager to try them out. the kit has a bigger main jet, a 110 instead of a 90, and I can't wait to see what the difference is (I kept the 90 just in case).

The first rule of sys adminning is not to brag about uptime, which I did last night. Next, Galeon was not running well at all, so I exited X, forgot my password and had to reboot in recover mode to reset it, after which I recalled it. So, no longer do I have an uptime of 104 days. I am shocked that Ubuntu drops you right into a # prompt in recovery mode. Solaris don't do that.

Mrs Ha got back late, about 11:30. She had a fun time there, and ran into two school moms and a different preschool mom from when nine year old was in preschool. Yet another Rochester is a small town moment.

Yesterday's workout at the Y was MILFless. The MP3 player worked well, but I need to fine tune my tunes, drop the tired boring ones and get ones to pump it up.

Irish_girl was over for dinner last night, she's trying to get a reliable used car for about $2,000. I'm pushing her to Japanese, she knows nothing about cars and I don't think her boyfriend is that handy. Sure, American cars are cheaper, some are a tad less reliable than Japanese and parts are much cheaper, but I think she'd be better off with Japanese.

No surprise I had to scrape ice off my windshield this morning.

< It is snowing right now. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Happy happy tea tea happy happy tea tea | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
All my Japanese used car... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:00:06 AM EST
experiences have been good. That's an anecdote, not data, but my basic rule is that cheaper parts for a local car (e.g. Ford in the US or Ford in the UK) only make a difference if you can actually do a majority of the mechanicing yourself.

Otherwise, you're better off gambling on high reliability...

WIPO: air (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:04:04 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
sorry by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:05:29 AM EST
didn't mean to jinx your uptime. My work boxes are mostly headless, so it's telnet/ssh access only. X is nice, but term works for me.

What's your trend at the Y ? Here, we get the usual new years folks, that by the first nice day in March/April tend to quit. Then in come the folks who realize they don't look so good in the bikini anymore.. Then by May/June, college kids come in (most of the lazy fucks aren't even working, since they talk to one another about what was on TV that afternoon, yet still come in for the 5-7pm after-work crowd rush. Grr). Then Sept-Dec is nice and quiet and empty. Around Dec 15, college kids start coming back, sometimes. Then start all over again.

Problem is, I just assume all the girls are jailbait. A friend related a story of some girlie he had been chatting up for quite a while. She said they just got back from their senior trip. He asked about her future plans (assuming it was senior year, college). He was shocked when she said "go to _ college", and ended his chats with her (he was mid-30s)..

The Y trend is busy January-April, by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:29:54 AM EST
then slowing down, though swimming classes fill up quick. I don't usually talk to people there unless I know them or I'm watching our girls swimming, the MILFs are just nice for eye candy.

If Irish Girl doesn't care too much about looks by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:05:44 AM EST
Two large ought to be able to find a decently reliable car, especially if its an import with a few dents and dings. The trick is finding someone that knows enough about cars that is willing to go shopping with her to steer her away from the obvious lemons. The other trick is being patient and willing to pass on any given deal. All too many people get tired of looking at used car after used car and end up buying something they probably shouldn't simply because they're sick of dealing with the hassle.

Cicero, The Republic
I'm sending her to my mechanic with whatever by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:31:17 AM EST
she finds, the $30 will be well spent.

As long as the body isn't rusty, I'll mention the dings to her, as she'll be putting enough of her own on it.

WIPO: Nomex by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:08:32 AM EST

Or some combination of Nomex, over Gore-Tex, over Kevlar. Or maybe the Kevlar on the outside. But definitely the Gore-Tex under the Nomex. I like my skin slow-roasted, as opposed to charred or flash-fried.

I used to look at uptimes as a mark of pride. These days, a high uptime makes me suspicious, and is the mark of a machine about to get rebooted for no particular reason whatsoever. Those computers have it coming!

Do you intend to burn first, or get hit with by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:33:41 AM EST
fragments or go down on the pavement first? I spaced on Nomex, I just never hear of riders being trapped on their bike and getting burnt alive.

It's in case you have to run into a fire by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:37:09 AM EST

Gore-Tex is pretty flammable, so you'd want the outer layer to protect the Gore-Tex. The Kevlar can go on the inside or the outside, as it's not going to catch on fire as easily, so if it's over the Nomex, no biggie, as the Nomex will protect you. The Gore-Tex, for the most part, is just to keep you dry, and to wick some of the moisture away from your skin that the Nomex is going to trap inside. Once the Nomex heats up, all that moisture will serve as either a nice cooling technique, or a portable, wearable steam bath.

ob uptime dick swinging by barooo (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:30:23 AM EST

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Surely German is the way forward? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 01:26:51 PM EST
A 1990s Merc 190E is about as bomb-proof as they come. I mean, sure they start to look a bit tired after 170000 miles but at £650 - approx 1000 USD, you could get two, and use one for spares...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Not for a poverty stricken single mom by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 03:32:03 PM EST
who has no other family members with cars, she needs something simple and foolproof.