Print Story holy muscle spasm, batman!
Health
By infinitera (Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 04:51:17 AM EST) muscle spasms, back problems, vision (all tags)
So I woke up yesterday with a sharp pain in/near my right eye. By the time I woke up and showered.. the pain was gone. However, I found I could not use my glasses as it made my right eye's vision completely blurry. So without those, I drove to work.

After googling for symptoms (always a bad idea) I got to the emergency room where they told me, "LAWLZ SPASM OF CILIARY MUSCLES DRIVETHRU KTHX." by around noonish my right eye had become more usable in that my focus on farther away objects was actually better than it used to be without glasses, and that wearing glasses made my near vision worse (blurry).

Given my inability to focus with that eye on objects closer than 1 foot, and my inability with my left eye to clearly see things farther than that, I was glad to have my laptop (sans glasses). By the time I got home (still without glasses, and with still strangely improved far vision in the right eye) I had a sharp pain in my right neck and shoulder. Lying down/using electrical massage pads/getting some sleep resulted in.. complete normality.

WTF. I'm kinda freaked out. Is my entire right side on the fritz? Is my right eye gonna stay stable? Is this a problem for a chiropractor or an opthamologist?

It should be noted that since I started the new job (~4 weeks ago) my work environment has not been the most ergonomically proper. I'm trying to improve on that right now as my shoulder is still a little sore.

Update [2006-4-5 0:36:12 by infinitera]: Eye doctor says scratch on right cornea was healing, irritated iris, caused the whole focal point thing. Has no clue about the rest of it.

< Jester Departeth | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
holy muscle spasm, batman! | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Huh. by blixco (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:04:09 AM EST
Tough call, since the advice (see both an eye doctor and a chiro) could lead to wildly different answers.

But I'd see both an eye doctor and a chiro, assuming I had an eye doctor and a chiro I could trust.

No sense screwing with your vision.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Chiropractic? There's no need for pseudo-science by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:08:06 AM EST
It was me accidentally poking an infinitera voodoo doll with a pencil.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
that hurt :-( by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:09:32 AM EST
Fix me.

Sorry by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:26:06 AM EST
I have some more bad news. As I was bringing the doll to the supply cabinet to put on a bandaid, I dropped it out the window into some traffic. Fortunately it landed on a truck. Unfortunately the truck was carry a load of unboxed blenders, all plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
/twitch by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:37:31 PM EST

Physics by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:11:53 AM EST
is a pseudo-science?
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
This rabbit hole goes deeper than I thought (nt) by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:20:14 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Which....what..... by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:21:40 AM EST
goddamnit, when did every intelligent person on this site stop making sense?  Must be the drugs.  It better be the fucking drugs.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
It's the drugs by joh3n (4.00 / 4) #9 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:25:49 AM EST
PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

----

Brief explanation: by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #11 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:44:19 AM EST
On the one hand, chiropractors manipulate the spine in a way that can benefit people with back problems (e.g you), as it loosens the muscles, and essentially massages the whole area quite harshly.

On the other hand, chiropractors seem to think that as well as this, manipulating the spine can also cure cancer, blindness, gout, depression...

In other words, a load of old bollocks.  Unsurprisingly, studies have shown that spine manipulation can sometimes be of benefit to...physical back problems, and nothing else.

In fact, link: by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:48:01 AM EST
Here.

I post this mainly for the line:

"Chiropractic was founded by Daniel David Palmer in Davenport, Iowa, USA. He said he received the chiropractic principles from a dead physician, Dr. Jim Atkinson, during a seance."

Although I would be negligent not to also include his quote (ellipsis not mine):

"A subluxated vertebra . . . is the cause of 95 percent of all diseases. . . . The other five percent is caused by displaced joints other than those of the vertebral column"

MDs by blixco (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 06:02:46 AM EST
used to believe in "bad humors" and didn't believe in germs.

Everything changes.  My chiro is completely physics based.  A good majority of chiropractic that I've been exposed to is the same way.

That subluxation nonsense is about as relevent as phrenology.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Except for one thing by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 06:22:42 AM EST
As recently as 5.5 years ago, the ACA "reaffirmed" subluxation.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Again, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:29:17 AM EST
give it a while.  In the meantime, don't go to witchdoctors.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
wiggle woggle wiggle woo by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 09:27:42 AM EST
ugga ugga fee.

All clear now?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I would see a doctor too by cam (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:08:31 AM EST
eyesight problems would freak me out and I would want it covered from all angles, eye, muscles and general health.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Muscle spams are weird. by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:16:50 AM EST
Last year I had about 3 months where I could hear a 144 Hz beat in my right ear. Just as soon as it started, it stopped, but man was it annoying while it was happening.

Eye doctor by jimgon (4.00 / 3) #14 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 06:16:01 AM EST
Try to get a emergency appointment with an eye doctor.  If there's a neurological problem going on he may be able to say "holy shit, you need a fucking neurologist."

---------------
done by infinitera (4.00 / 3) #18 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:41:05 AM EST
They were like "How's may?" until I told them what happened.. now I have one later today.

Neurology by jimgon (4.00 / 3) #19 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 08:59:53 AM EST
Obviously I'm not a neurologist, but I've been told that that because of the optic nerve eye doctors are closer to neurologists than any other branch of medicine.

I've also heard that pain striking on half of the body is sometimes a manifistation of a stroke.  I've also been told that a stroke will cause changes in the eye that an eye doctor will be able to observe.

---------------

Stress by ucblockhead (4.00 / 4) #17 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:29:40 AM EST
Muscle spasms can be a symptom of stress. I am pretty sure caffiene can set them off. Also, make sure you get enough calcium and potassium.

...and don't fuck around...see a real doctor.

(In my experience, chiropractors are great for helping make your back feel better and improving posture...though I've never gone to one myself.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

holy muscle spasm, batman! | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback